How many of you have ever heard these words from one of your parents: “That was MY favorite TV show when I was a kid!” Chances are, many of you have experienced this crazy phenomenon. Cartoons from the 1970s and 1980s have made a huge comeback. Or maybe. . . they never really left! See if you can guess these 1980s cartoons that are still popular today.
- These three chipmunks started out as a song, became puppets, a hit TV show, then movies, including a “Squeakquel.”
- These little blue cartoon creatures feature only ONE female, a villain named Gargamel (with his sidekick cat, Azrael) and will have their own feature film hitting theaters in July!
- These “meddling kids” and their dog have been solving spooky mysteries since 1969. They drive around in a van called The Mystery Machine.
- This 1980s cartoon started with a toy line of warring alien robots – The Autobots and Decepticons. It grew into a giant franchise with movies starring Shia LaBeouf.
- This was actually a movie series by George Lucas. It started in 1977, and continued through the 2000s. The cast of characters includes Luke, Anakin, Princess Leia, and more. Now it is a series on Cartoon Network, and it also has a bunch of spin-off books.
- This “berry” nice character started out as a greeting card, became various products, then a cartoon. Her friends include Lemon Meringue, Blueberry Muffin, and her cat, Custard.
- These two brothers, Mario and Luigi, were a Nintendo video game, and then had a short run as a TV cartoon back in 1989.
- These cute little ponies began as a Hasbro toy. Hint: Their name would contain the opposite of each word in “Your Big Horse.” (__ ______ ____)
Leave your answers in the Comments below, and check back next Tuesday for answers. Help from parents who grew up in the 70s and 80s is totally allowed!
—Ratha, Stacks Writer