Last week I posted a quiz on 1980s cartoons. They were popular then, and they're still popular now! How many did you guess?
Answers are below.
- These three chipmunks started out as a song, became puppets, a hit TV show, then movies, including a "Squeakquel."
ANSWER: Alvin and the Chipmunks
- These little blue cartoon creatures feature only ONE female, a villain named Gargamel (with his sidekick cat, Azrael) and will have their own feature film hitting theaters in July!
ANSWER: The Smurfs
- These "meddling kids" and their dog have been solving spooky mysteries since 1969. They drive around in a van called The Mystery Machine.
ANSWER: Scooby Doo! The original Scooby Doo, Where Are You! had a spin-off, A Pup Named Scooby Doo. This was followed by What's New Scooby Doo?, then the current Cartoon Network version Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated. Not to mention a few made for TV movies and theatrical releases along the way. Can you tell I'm a Scooby Doo buff?
- This 1980s cartoon started with a toy line of warring alien robots – The Autobots and Decepticons. It grew into a giant franchise with movies starring Shia LaBeouf.
ANSWER: The Transformers. The third movie, TF3, will be hitting theaters this summer!
- This was actually a movie series by George Lucas. It started in 1977, and continued through the 2000s. The cast of characters includes Luke, Anakin, Princess Leia, and more. Now it is a series on Cartoon Network, and it also has a bunch of spin-off books.
ANSWER: Star Wars. The Clone Wars is the new Cartoon Network Series.
- This "berry" nice character started out as a greeting card, became various products, then a cartoon. Her friends include Lemon Meringue, Blueberry Muffin, and her cat, Custard.
ANSWER: Strawberry Shortcake
- These two brothers, Mario and Luigi, were a Nintendo video game, and then had a short run as a TV cartoon back in 1989.
ANSWER: Super Mario Brothers! Still one of the most popular video games of all time.
- These cute little ponies began as a Hasbro toy. Hint: Their name would contain the opposite of each word in "Your Big Horse." (__ ______ ____)
ANSWER: My Little Pony
What are your favorite cartoons, old or new? Let us know in the Comments below!
—Ratha, Stacks Writer