Famous First Lines Trivia Quiz Answers
How well do you know your books? Here are the first sentences from my Famous First Lines Trivia Quiz last week. Did you guess the book titles?
- When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
ANSWER: Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
- They say the sea makes some people sick.
ANSWER: Daughters of the Sea: Hannah by Kathryn Lasky
- Peoples are strange!
ANSWER: Unfinished Angel by Sharon Creech
- The tired old carriage, pulled by two tired old horses, rumbled onto the wharf, its creaky wheels bumpety-bumping on the uneven planks, waking Peter from his restless slumber.
ANSWER: Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
- Lyra and her daemon moved through the darkening hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen.
ANSWER: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
- When Giuseppe found the green violin, he did not think it would help him escape. (This book is new so you probably haven’t read it yet, but this first line is so cool I had to include it!)
ANSWER: The Clockwork Three by Matthew Kirby
- Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain. Many years later, Meggie had only to close her eyes and she could still hear it, like tiny fingers tapping on the windowpane.
ANSWER:Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
- Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
ANSWER: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
What are the first lines to some of YOUR faves? Leave them in the Comments and see if you can stump your fellow STACKS readers.