March 13, 2016
Are UFOs Real?
Do you believe? UFO stands for Unidentified Flying Object. While this term refers to any object in the sky people cannot identify, UFO traditionally refers to alien spacecraft. UFOs have been reported throughout history, dating back to early comet and meteor sightings.
People have observed UFOs in all shapes and sizes. In 1878, John Martin reported seeing a circular flying object moving at high speeds through the sky. A United States Naval commander reported a red-shaped objects flying in formation over San Francisco.
The Roswell Innocent occurred in the summer of 1947 when an object crashed in New Mexico. Many conspiracy theorists believe the crashed object was a UFO.
All human UFO sightings are highly controversial and many teams have set out to find conclusive evidence of alien life. Project Sign was an official project conducted by the United States Air Force. Project Sign concluded there was not enough data to determine the origin of UFOs.
Scientists have provided countless explanations for UFO sightings. Astronomical objects, such as bright stars, planets, and even the moon have been confused for alien spacecrafts. People commonly mistake airplanes and weather balloons for UFOs. Everyday objects have been confused for UFOs, including kites, birds, and clouds.
The debate still rages on over UFOs and may never be settled. So, now I ask you, do you believe?
March 11, 2016
Quick-Witted Girl Uses Inventions to Navigate Life in STUCK IN THE MIDDLE
This new comedy TV series follows 12-year-old Harley Diaz as she maneuvers her way through the bustle of being a middle child in a family with six other siblings: Rachel the self-involved eldest; Georgie, a basketball-playing teen; Ethan, Harley’s closest ally; invincible and indestructible twins Lewie and “Beast”; and the strong-willed youngest sibling, Daphne. The heartfelt and comedic stories of a big family find Harley devising creative ways to cope with – and stand out – in her family’s busy suburban Massachusetts household. Her ingenuity often wins the day for the Diaz family, even with many different personalities living under one roof.
Stuck in the Middle will air in its regular time slot beginning FRIDAY, MARCH 11 (9:00 p.m. EST) on Disney Channel. Will you be watching? Tell us in the Comments.
March 10, 2016
Adventure! Laughter! Rhinoceros Beetles!
Darkus Cuttle’s dad mysteriously goes missing from his job as Director of Science at the Natural History Museum. Vanished without a trace! From a locked room! So Darkus moves in with his eccentric Uncle Max and next door to Humphrey and Pickering, two lunatic cousins with an enormous beetle infestation.
Darkus soon discovers that the beetles are anything but ordinary. They’re an amazing, intelligent super species and they’re in danger of being exterminated. It’s up to Darkus and his friends to save the beetles. But they’re up against an even more terrifying villain–the mad scientist of fashion, haute couture villainess Lucretia Cutter.
Lucretia has an alarming interest in insects and dastardly plans for the bugs. She won’t let anyone or anything stop her, including Darkus’s dad, whom she has locked up in her dungeons! The beetles and kids join forces to rescue Mr. Cuttle and thwart Lucretia.
Beetle Boy is the story of a brilliant boy, his loyal friends, and some amazingly intelligent beetles.
Read an excerpt.
Watch a video with the author.
March 9, 2016
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book Review
Out of the books I picked to be my favorite over time, the very best is the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney. I like these books the best because they are really funny, are an easy read, have entertaining artwork, and they relate to the real world and how you are feeling as a middle schooler sometimes.
The books are about a boy named Greg who has a troublesome older brother and an annoying little brother. They are funny because Greg gets blamed for everything his little brother, Manny, does. His older brother, Rodrick, gets in a lot of trouble, but the blame always ends up on Greg.
Those are some reasons why the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series are the books that I enjoy the most.
Leah, Scholastic Kids Council
March 8, 2016
10 Problems Only Older Sisters Understand
How hard is it being an older sister?! Can any of you guys relate? We’ve compiled a list of top 10 problems . . . only older sisters understand.
- Younger brothers. (Farts! Burps! Pulling your hair!)
- Parents expect you to “be the responsible one and set the example.”
- You had to eat lima beans first.
- When your younger sibling steals your stuff.
- When your younger sibling imitates everything you do.
- You get blamed for all fights because “you’re bigger.”
- When your younger sibling barges into your room and won’t leave.
- When your younger sibling reveals something embarrassing in front of your crush.
- When you have to include your little brother/sister when you play with YOUR friends.
- Changing diapers.
Are you an older sister? What are the best and worst things about being an older sister? Air your grievances in the Comments below!
March 7, 2016
Which Teen Actress Are You?
There are SO many cool teen celebrities nowadays, it’s hard to pick a favorite! So here is a star-studded, teen actress personality quiz. Are you sunny and upbeat like Dove Cameron? Smart and funny like Rowan Blanchard? Super-cool like Zendaya? Take our quiz to find out!
- It’s SPRING BREAK! You can’t wait to . . . a) hit the beach! b) scope out the new boutique that opened downtown. c) make a dent in your reading list. d) finish the creative project you’ve been working on since the holidays. e) explore a new place.
- Your favorite TV show is . . . a) a funny sitcom. b) a nature show. c) the news! d) full of musical numbers. e) a cool anime.
- Your friends would describe you as . . . a) friendly. b) classy. c) smart. d) creative. e) edgy.
- Your favorite breakfast food is . . . a) Cheerios. b) a yogurt parfait. c) eggs. d) waffles. e) a smoothie.
- You would describe your personal style as: a) peppy, colorful, and bright. b) classic with a twist. c) casual and comfortable. d) low-key but creative. e) too cool for school.
- You are most likely to get into trouble for . . . a) being too chatty. b) being too controlling. c) staging a protest. d) getting distracted. e) being yourself. (Too bad some people just can’t handle ya!)
- Your pet peeve is . . . a) bullying. b) bad manners. c) ignorance. d) unoriginality. e) playing it safe.
- Your dream career is . . . a) actress. b) President of the United States. c) scientist. d) artist or author. e) You can’t pick just one; you want to do everything!
- Your fantasy BFF is: a) Cinderella. b) Elsa. c) Hermione Granger. d) Luna Lovegood. e) Katniss Everdeen.
- You would describe yourself as the color: a) yellow. b) red. c) green. d) blue. e) silver (because glitter’s not a color, right?) Continue reading
March 6, 2016
Most Destructive Volcanoes in History
An erupting volcano may be the scariest natural disaster there is. It spews molten lava and has the power to destroy entire cities. Volcanoes can lay dormant for years, which means they won’t bother anyone, but then suddenly erupt with little warning.
Mt. Vesuvius erupted in Italy in the year 79 and completely destroyed the towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum. The eruption only lasted 19 hours, but still covered Pompeii in ten feet of volcanic ash. The heat was so severe that many people burned to death. Read more about it in the book I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii, AD 79.
The Laki Volcani System in Iceland was active for almost all of 1784, creating a dusty haze so bad that the country suffered massive food shortages.
In 1816, Mt. Tambora erupted in Indonesia and killed thousands of people. When the volcano exploded, the tremors were felt up to a thousand miles away. The eruption spit so much ash into the atmosphere that it lowered worldwide temperatures and 1816 became known as the “year without a summer.”
Most people thought Mt. Pelee was dormant, so it was a surprise when it erupted in 1902. The volcano destroyed the city of St. Pierre and the only survivors were a man in a jail cell and another man living at the edge of town.
In Columbia, South America, Nevado del Ruiz erupted in 1985, melting the volcano’s ice cap and causing a mudslide that swept away the city of Armero.
March 4, 2016
Justin Bieber Trivia Quiz
How well do you know Justin Bieber?
- Which of these songs is NOT a Justin Bieber song? A) “Baby” B) “Boyfriend” C) “Love Me” D) “Hate Me”
- What has Justin Bieber been quoted as saying he suffers from? A) Claustrophobia B) Arachnophobia C) Fear of snakes D) Fear of floods
- Which of these superstar musicians was the first to sign Justin to a record deal? A) Jon Bon Jovi B) Usher C) Kanye West D) Rihanna
- Who was Justin’s girlfriend? A) Selena Gomez B) Miranda Cosgrove C) Miley Cyrus D) Demi Lovato
- Where is Justin from? A) America B) Switzerland C) Canada D) England
- What website was responsible for getting Justin noticed by talent managers? A) YouTube B) Facebook C) Twitter D) Snapchat
- Which of these record labels signed Justin first? A) Def Jam Records B) Universal C) Sony D) Justin Records
- True or False? Justin writes a lot of his own music?
- Which of these instruments does Justin play? A) Trumpet B) Piano C) Guitar D) Drums E) All of the above
- Which of these singers was in a bidding war with Usher to sign Justin when he was just twelve years old? A) Taylor Swift B) Bobby Brown C) Michael Jackson D) Justin Timberlake
Read on for the answers. Continue reading
March 3, 2016
Are you ready for St. Patrick’s Day?
On March 17, everyone wears green and becomes a little bit Irish to celebrate old Saint Patrick. Here are a few other things for you to do to celebrate your Irish heritage (whether real or fake)!
What is your favorite thing about St. Patrick’s Day? Tell us in the Comments.
March 2, 2016
Check out the cover of Captain Underpants creator Dav Pilkey’s new graphic novel!
George and Harold have created a new hero who digs into deception, claws after crooks, and rolls over robbers. He’s half man, half dog, and all cop! This heroic hound has a real nose for justice. But can this crime-biting canine resist the call of the wild to answer the call of duty?
Get ready to howl with laughter. You can read Dog Man on August 30!