January 1, 2015
Baby Names ANSWERS: What’s Hot and What’s Not in 2014!
Last week we posted 2014 Baby Names Trivia. How did you do? Check out the answers below!
- Which Frozen character name shot up 29% this year? A) Olaf. B) Bulda. C) Elsa. D) Kristoff. ANSWER: Elsa . . . of course! Hans also was up 19%, but Elsa still beat him out.
- Which is NOT one of the top 3 girls’ names of 2014? A) Olivia. B) Sophia. C) Josephine. D) Emma. ANSWER: Josephine.
- Which city or borough would you rather be named after – Denver OR Bronx? Both were popular names in 2014! ANSWER: It’s up to you!
- Which name was NOT new to the girls top 100 list this year? A) Cora. B) Piper. C) Paisley. D) Clara. E) Ava. F) Cadence. ANSWER: Ava was not new. (It’s #4.) However, check out these new additions: Cora is #92. Piper is #94. Paisley is #96. Clara is #99. Cadence is #100.
- The names Easton, Xander, and Ryder are all new to the top 100 boys’ names this year. TRUE or FALSE? ANSWER: TRUE. Welcome aboard, guys!
- These boys’ names fell in popularity this year, and may soon be making their exit from the top 100. Which would YOU pick to be named before they fall of the list? Brayden (down 19 spots to #45) Chase (down 17 to #86) Colin (down 11 to #89) Zachary (down 9 to #67) ANSWER: Up to you! Personally, I love them all!
- Which “Fancy” Australian rapper’s real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly? Her names shot up on the popularity charts in 2014! ANSWER: Iggy Azalea. Iggy gained 75% in boys’ names, and Amethyst was up 55%!
- These names all fell OUT of the top 100 names this year: Bentley, Riley, Mateo, Jake, Ruby, Taylor. TRUE or FALSE? ANSWER: TRUE! Hard to believe, right? Maybe they’ll make a comeback.
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
December 31, 2014
A Million Ways Home (for ages 8 and up) by Dianna Dorisi Winget
When Grandma Beth has a stroke that puts her in the hospital, Poppy Parker has to live in a temporary home for foster kids. Poppy is so unhappy about being unable to see her grandmother each day that she decides to walk to the hospital herself.
But when she stops to buy a snack for Grandma, Poppy accidentally becomes a witness to an armed robbery. To keep Poppy safe, Detective Brannigan sends Poppy to stay with his mother so they can look out for Poppy until the suspect is caught.
Poppy begins volunteering at an animal shelter and makes two unexpected friends – Lizzie, the “bad kid,” and Gunner, the German shepherd. No one wants to adopt Gunner because he once bit a little boy. Poppy feels unwanted too, so she decides to try to save Gunner and find him a home.
But what if Grandma Beth never gets better? And what if the police can’t find the robber? Will Poppy ever be able to go home? Will she be able to save Gunner from a terrible fate? You’ll have to read the book to find out how Poppy’s story ends. Then leave your Comments in the section below!
Marisa, STACKS Intern
December 30, 2014
Baby Names: What’s Hot and What’s Not in 2014!
Now that the year is winding down, the polls are closing on the most popular baby names from 2014. Not too much has changed since last year’s Top Baby Names. For example the girls’ #1 name is still Sophia, and boys’ #1 is Jackson. But there are some new entries into the top 100 list . . . and there are some names that didn’t make the list this year! How name savvy are you? Check out our Baby Names Trivia below . . .
- Which Frozen character’s name shot up 29% this year? A) Olaf. B) Bulda. C) Elsa. D) Kristoff.
- Which is NOT one of the top 3 girls’ names of 2014? A) Olivia. B) Sophia. C) Josephine. D) Emma.
- Which city or borough would you rather be named after – Denver OR Bronx? Both were popular names in 2014!
- Which name was NOT new to the top 100 girls’ names list this year? A) Cora. B) Piper. C) Paisley. D) Clara. E) Ava. F) Cadence.
- The names Easton, Xander, and Ryder are all new to the top 100 boys’ names this year. TRUE or FALSE?
- These boys’ names fell in popularity this year, and may soon be making their exit from the top 100 – boo. Which would YOU pick to be named before they fall of the list? (Personally, I love them all!) Brayden (down 19 spots to #45) Chase (down 17 to #86) Colin (down 11 to #89) Zachary (down 9 to #67)
- Which “Fancy” Australian rapper’s real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly? Her names shot up on the popularity charts in 2014!
- These names all fell OUT of the top 100 baby names this year: Bentley, Riley, Mateo, Jake, Ruby, Taylor. TRUE or FALSE?
NAME your answers in the Comments below, and click here for the answers!
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
December 29, 2014
Winter break is a perfect time to ponder these awesome questions from CycloneVampire7.
What would you do if . . .
- You were sitting in the rain when all of a sudden, a man appeared before you out of thin air?
- You met Justin Bieber? (You can hate or love; I don’t care.)
- You discovered that Elsa was your cousin and you had ice powers?
- Everyone around you suddenly burst into song?
- Books were BANNED?!
- You were trapped in a dream and couldn’t wake up unless you finished it?
- You could grow money trees? $
- You could fly?
- You were trapped in a tiny box about your size with no way out?
- Your brother gave you a Mohawk haircut while you were sleeping, and tomorrow was the first day of school?
Hope you enjoy!
December 24, 2014
New Island of the Aunts Book Trailer!
Have you seen STACKS Staffer En-Szu’s awesome video for Island of the Aunts by Eva Ibbotson (author of The Secret of Platform 13, Which Witch, and One Dog and His Boy)?
Check it out and tell us what you think in the Comments!
December 23, 2014
What’s Your Winter Name?
It’s officially wintertime! Yay! Now that we’re all getting used to the cold. You may already know your Christmas Elf Name, but we have a new winter name generator today.
Find the first initial of your first name in the list below. That word is your winter first name. Then look at the list of the months below and find the month of your birthday. That word is your winter last name. For example, my name begins with an E and my birthday is in March, so my new winter name would be Snowflake Skates.
So grab a hot chocolate and find out what your very own winter name is!
- A – Snowy
- B – Frosty
- C – Gingerbread
- D – Icy
- E – Snowflake
- F – Frozen
- G – Peppermint
- H – Cozy
- I – Twinkling
- J – Sparkling
- K – Cider
- L – Toasty
- M – Cocoa
- N – Pinecone
- O – Evergreen
- P – Windy
- Q – Chilly
- R – Polar
- S – Flurry
- T – Crystal
- U – Glacial
- V – Icicle
- W – Snuggle
- X – Arctic
- Y – Blizzard
- Z – Winter
- January – Cookie
- February – Chocolate
- March – Skates
- April – Cabin
- May – Fireplace
- June – Mittens
- July – Sled
- August – Sweater
- September – Boots
- October – Ski slope
- November – Cloud
- December – Long-Johns
Happy winter, everyone!
En-Szu, STACKS Writer (a.k.a. Snowflake Skates)
December 22, 2014
What Are Your New Year’s Resolutions?
The beginning of a new year is a great time to start brand new, to think of some goals and resolutions for how to be a better person. No one is perfect, and this is a great time to think about ways that you can improve in the coming year.
Here are some ideas for New Year’s resolutions:
- Set a better schedule for myself.
- Spend more time with my family.
- Be a better friend and a better listener.
- Change my closet and develop a better style.
- Get good grades.
- Travel to a new country.
- Do more arts and crafts activities and more D.I.Y. fashion activities.
- Go to the gym more often, and live a healthier lifestyle. (No more soda or candy!)
- Read interesting books. (Take a look at our Reading Resolutions for ideas.)
- Learn how to cook.
Your New Year’s resolutions and goals can be about anything, from saving more money so you can buy a really cool toy that you like, to making more friends, or to spending more time with your sibling. Start jotting down some goals. After you finish, keep the paper somewhere that you can see it constantly, like on your refrigerator or on a wall in your room. Give yourself credit for all your success, and check off the things on your list that you have completed as the time passes.
Leave a Comment with your New Year’s resolutions. Happy New Year!
December 19, 2014
Meet Nicolette Pierini from Annie!
The new Annie movie opens in theaters today and we could not be more excited. We have new videos of the stars Quevenzhané Wallis, Jamie Foxx, Cameron Diaz, and even Sandy the dog (whose real name is Marty)! We have an interview with the actress who plays Annie. And today, we have this exclusive post from Nicolette Pierini who plays Mia in the film. She answered YOUR questions so read on to find out more. Continue reading
December 18, 2014