There is a dinosaur on the loose! It’s huge and ferocious . . . and blue? Uh, ok. What do you think this creature is saying? Leave your captions in the Comments!
Brec Bassinger is Bella!
A lot of you are fans of Nickelodeon’s newest live-action comedy series, Bella and the Bulldogs. Bella Dawson (played by Brec Bassinger) is a confident, caring, and talented teenager who suddenly finds herself fulfilling a lifelong dream — as quarterback of the school’s football team. We interviewed the actress Brec Bassinger to find out more about her life on the new show.
Do you have anything in common with Bella? Continue reading
I know I always get WAY too excited whenever this post comes around, but hey–it’s been a long winter and I’ve had a lot of free time, so I’m running out of books to read. I need your recommendations now more than ever!
Last month, we asked you what books you were reading and loving. I’ve put the results in a word cloud so we can see which titles reign supreme. Check it out:
Well, now! Harry Potter is experiencing a bit of a comeback! It looks like Dork Diaries is moving up in popularity, too! Let’s keep this going. What other books are you reading this winter? What books do you think everyone else absolutely, totally, MUST read, like, RIGHT AWAY? Share your picks in the Comments below!
I’m off to re-read Harry Potter now. See you around.
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
The Post Where I Ask Everyone Weird Quiz Questions
- What would you do if NO ONE (not even your family) would talk to you?
- Is your room messy, neat, or in between?
- What types of books do you read?
- Are you bored a lot? (I know I am.)
- Do you like school?
- If you could change your name, what would it be? (No last names!)
- Sparta or Athens???
- LEAST favorite color?
- Lucky number?
- Are you scared of Friday the 13th or the number 13? (I’m not referring to the movie, which I have not seen.)
- Are you a people person, shy, or just socially awkward?
- Is your glass half-full, half-empty, or completely empty because you drank it all?
- Any weird habits?
- You are on a deserted island. You can bring one thing with you, and it can be anything, even something you don’t currently have. What will you bring?
- Have your feet ever taken you places while your mind wandered off?
- Was there a time when you were so scared you couldn’t do anything except curl up in a ball and cry?(No details necessary . . . but just so you know I have to say “yesh” to this!!)
- Are you wondering what the whole point of this is?
- Pickles . . . or SAUERKRAUT??? (I know they taste the same; think of it as a challenge!)
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Comment if you enjoyed this, or if you want to add more questions! ~Cyclone
Drum roll please! These guys are playing the world’s largest drum set! I wonder what song they are playing. If you could create a caption for the picture what do you think these drummers would be saying?
Here’s my caption: “Can somebody please get the ladder again? My solo is coming up and I need to reach the highest symbol!”
Write YOUR caption in the Comments below!
Amanda, STACKS Intern
New Disney Movie: Bad Hair Day
Laura Marano (from Austin & Ally) and Leigh-Allyn Baker (from Good Luck Charlie), star in Bad Hair Day, a comedy about a high school tech-whiz whose prom day abruptly shifts into a wild ride across town, thanks to a down-on-her-luck cop and a jewel thief. This Disney Channel original movie premieres Friday, February 13 (8:00 p.m., ET/PT).
The story unfolds with Monica on the morning of her senior prom. She’s eager to get ready . . . until she can’t get her hair to cooperate. On top of that, she’s mistakenly enlisted by Liz, a police officer hot on the trail of missing jewels. Her prom day goes from bad to mad as a dogged jewel thief tries to outwit the pair.
Will you be watching this movie? Leave a Comment!
PS. I love Laura Marano but her hair does look kind of crazy under her hat. Still cute, though! Do you think she will wear that hat to the prom?
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
I. Am. Not. A. Bully.
Bullying happens much more than it should. No matter where you live, what language you speak, or the color of your skin, bullying is all around you. It is the most important issue to children of the world today, and everyone needs to help put a stop to it.
- Stop gossiping
- Tell an adult
- Reach out to people
- Stand up to bullies
- Say, “STOP!”
Adults need to help kids through this. Sometimes, kids in my school are too afraid to tell a teacher or another trusted adult about what is going on in their lives. Many times, it takes one interested teacher or adult to identify a problem and step in to try and fix it. For example, by noticing a child alone in the lunchroom at school, a teacher can pick out a student who might be a victim of bullying.
The schools in my town hold assemblies to teach kids about bullying, and bring people in who have been bullied in their life. These assemblies inform the students how to stop a bully, ignore the offender, and talk to parents or teachers about it. In addition, the guidance counselor at my school helps all of the students with their problems. It is a good feeling when you know that someone wants to help you. Talking about your feelings to a teacher makes you feel secure and safe. My guidance counselor helps everyone who is discouraged, and she tries to solve the problems they are facing. Teachers can help further by holding information sessions for parents about bully awareness. Keeping parents updated about what to look for and how to talk to their children is a way to keep the lines of communication open.
Bullying is a serious issue, and no one deserves to be a victim. Tackling the problem requires involvement and help from adults. Some situations are too big for kids to handle on their own, so parents and teachers need to play a role in putting an end to bullying.
What is YOUR best advice to someone who is being bullied?
Grace, Scholastic Kids Council
Who Is Your Fictional Valentine?
It’s almost Valentine’s Day! I don’t know about you, but I love Valentine’s Day. I can’t wait to get together with my best friends, make pizza, eat ice cream, and watch bad movies (obviously, the greatest Valentine’s Day tradition ever)! But for those of you who are feeling romantic, we decided to give you a very special, love-themed Valentine Personality Quiz! Since, you know, regular people are just not as good as fictional characters, we’re allowing our imaginations to run free to dream up the dreamiest of Valentines: our favorite book characters.
- Your idea of a perfect date is: a) dinner and a movie–classic. b) ice skating followed by hot chocolate at your favorite cafe. c) theme park! d) a walk in the great outdoors. e) a concert.
- In your free time, you are most likely: a) playing a game of pick-up basketball with your friends. b) reading a book. c) pulling pranks on a family member. d) volunteering at the local animal shelter. e) setting things on fire.
- To you, the best Valentine’s Day gift would be: a) a teddy bear. b) a book thoughtfully picked out just for you. c) candy! ALL THE CANDY! d) a beautiful bouquet of flowers. e) gifts are for losers, but some cash would be really sweet.
- Your dream Valentine wears: a) flannel and jeans. b) something dressy and smart. c) a witty t-shirt. d) the coziest of sweaters. e) a leather jacket.
- At school, your favorite subject is: a) history. b) chemistry. c) lunch. d) language arts. e) playing hooky.
- What’s a big no-no for you? a) nail-biting. b) not reading for fun. c) being too serious. d) not liking animals. e) following the rules all the time.
- You and your Valentine are a) always on time. b) always swapping book or movie recommendations. c) always joking around. d) always looking for ways to be more environmentally-friendly. e) always getting into trouble together.
- The first thing you notice about your Valentine is his/her: a) strength. b) brains. c) sense of humor. d) kindness. e) looks.
- Your favorite breakfast is: a) pancakes! b) breakfast smoothie. c) PIZZA FOR BREAKFAST! d) fresh fruits and oatmeal. e) coffee.
- Your dream vacation would be: a) a historical tour in a European city. b) a week at a lake cabin, reading books all day by the water. c) Disney World! d) a safari trip. e) a trip to a huge, exciting city with a cool music scene.
If you picked mostly A’s, you got the all-star. Your valentine? Hermione Granger or Percy Jackson. Your dream valentine is one of those all-around good people with a heart of gold and really high standards. He/she is a real leader, and together, you’ll be unstoppable. You keep it classy. Even your parents and best friend are fans!
If you picked mostly B’s, you got the quiet genius. Your valentine is Amy Cahill or Neville Longbottom. Even though your valentine isn’t super-flashy on the outside, he/she is definitely a brainy rock star. As a team, no one can beat you guys at trivia. Your to-read list is about to get a whole lot longer, since your valentine is also really great at recommending the perfect book. And your sweetie always gets you the perfect, most thoughtful gifts. Talk about a fairy tale romance!
If you picked mostly C’s, you got the class clown. Your book valentine is Jamie Kelly or Greg Heffley. You love having a good time and your valentine knows exactly how to turn every situation into a laugh-fest! Be prepared to deal with a LOT of cleverly concealed whoopee cushions and fake bugs on your desk. But hey, life’s definitely much more interesting that way!
If you picked mostly D’s, you got the free spirit. Your ideal match is someone like Luna Lovegood or Rowley Jefferson. Smart and whimsical, your valentine is a really great listener and knows exactly how to make you feel important and cared for. You’ll be spending a lot of time outside, playing with animals, and learning how to make delicious vegan cookies together. Sounds pretty sweet!
If you picked mostly E’s, you got the baddie. You love a rebel like Mackenzie Hollister or Draco Malfoy. Do you solemnly swear that you are up to no good? So does your partner-in-crime. Though your times together can get kind of rocky, you’ll still have a total blast breaking the rules and making your (dark) mark on the world.
Which book valentine did YOU get? Share in the Comments below!
See ya next time,
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
I get so irritated when people ask me…
I’m sure you’ve all had it happen to you. Someone asks you an irritating question and you say in your head, “Did she really just ask me that?!” Maybe the first time someone asks you a question, it’s not that bad. The second time they ask you, it gets a little annoying. But by the third time, you are full-blown, all-out irritated! Or maybe it’s a question that just shows how misunderstood you are. My worst example of this is, “You know it’s just a book, right?” Ooh, I hate that question!
Which leads me to today’s Writing Prompt . . .
What are the most irritating questions people ask you?
And we promise not to ever ask you any of those questions! Let us know in the Comments below!
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
New Television Movie Coming This Summer: Disney’s Descendants
Disney’s princes and princesses are living out their happy endings in Auradon, a present day idyllic kingdom. All the defeated villains have been sent away to the Isle of the Lost, isolated from Auradon’s modern-day luxuries.
After many years, the teenage son of King Beast and Queen Belle is poised to take the throne. His first proclamation is to offer a second chance to the teenage kids of the trouble-making villains stuck on the Isle of the Lost. The children of Maleficent, the Evil Queen, Jafar, and Cruella de Vil are allowed into the kingdom to attend prep school alongside the other children in Auradon.
The villainous parents see this as an opportunity to use their children to carry out an evil plan that will finally free them from the Isle of the Lost. Will these teens follow in the footsteps of their wicked parents when they go abroad?
THE VILLAIN KIDS
Played by Dove Cameron (Liv and Maddie, Cloud 9)
Daughter of Maleficent
Played by newcomer Sofia Carson
Daughter of the Evil Queen
Played by Booboo Stewart
Son of Jafar
Played by Cameron Boyce (Jessie)
Son of Cruella de Vil
We have to wait until the summer for this movie to come to the Disney Channel, but I must say it looks AWESOME! Are you excited? Leave a Comment and tell us what you think.
Sonja, STACKS Staffer