July 23, 2014
Have you read these Scholastic fantasy books?
The July Fantasy Books Festival continues! Today, we will be highlighting some of the newest Scholastic fantasy books. As you know, Scholastic has published LOTS of amazing fantasy book series such as Harry Potter, the Ink trilogy, Guardians of Ga’Hoole, and, like, a thousand others. Here are just 3 of the fantasy books we are excited about right now:
Wings of Fire: The Dragonet Prophecy
The seven dragon tribes have been at war for generations, locked in an endless battle over an ancient, lost treasure. A secret movement called the Talons of Peace is determined to bring an end to the fighting with the help of a prophecy — and five dragonets are collected to fulfill it.
Read Chapter 1
Watch the video
Enter the thrilling world of Wormwood, a village surrounded by danger and built on lies. Only young Vega Jane has the courage to probe Wormwood’s dark secrets . . . and face the consequences of what comes to light.
Read Chapter 1
Watch the video
Spirit Animals: Wild Born
In the world of Erdas, four children are about to discover if they have a spirit animal bond, a rare link between human and beast that gives great powers to both. Separated by vast distances, Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan each see a flash of light . . . and then the animals emerge.
Read Chapter 1
Watch the video
So fun, right? Please come to the live readathon on July 31 and tell us what fantasy books you are excited about right now.
July 22, 2014
Personality Quiz: What Constellation Are You?
A constellation is a group of stars that, when you connect the dots, forms a shape (like the Big Dipper). In honor of this year’s Reading Under the Stars Summer Reading Challenge, we’ve put together a personality quiz to let you know what constellation you are! Most constellations are based on legends, so you’ll also learn the mythology behind the stars. Are you the largest constellation in the sky? Or do you have the brightest stars? Take this quiz to find out, and then try to spot your constellation in the sky this summer! Continue reading
July 21, 2014
Random Would You Rather
Here is a Random Would You Rather from the fabuloso STACKer EarlyFairy3. Leave your answers in the Comments!
- Would you rather kiss a snail OR a frog?
- Would you rather be a successful movie star OR a well-known smart person?
- Would you rather go to the supermarket OR to the mall?
- Would you rather watch the sunset OR the sunrise?
- Would you rather do well in math OR in music?
- Would you rather be a dog OR a cat?
\ Thx, EarlyFairy3
July 18, 2014
Superheroes come in all sizes in the movie Antboy (rated PG).
Ordinary, overlooked, 12-year-old Pelle (played by Oscar Dietz) is transformed into an extraordinary superhero after he is bitten by a super-ant and inherits its abilities. Overnight, the boy whom nobody noticed becomes a local hero dubbed “Antboy.” With the help of his sidekick, Wilhelm, climbing walls, flipping cars, stopping robbers, and saving babies all become part of his new dream life. But all this changes when super-villain “The Flea” kidnaps a pretty girl from Pelle’s school. Antboy, Wilhelm, and the missing girl’s sister Ida must fight this treacherous evil, rescue the damsel in distress, save the town from a super-villain, and be home in time for dinner.
Here is the Antboy himself, Oscar Dietz, to tell you what it was like making this movie. Continue reading
July 17, 2014
Michael Strahan will host Kids’ Choice Sports 2014 on Thursday, July 17 at 8 p.m. ET/PT.
Legendary Super Bowl champion and Fox NFL Sunday analyst Michael Strahan will host one of the biggest sports celebrations for kids, the first ever Kids’ Choice Sports 2014 show on Nickelodeon. We talked to the former New York Giant about sports, his favorite athletes, and who will get slimed! Read on. Continue reading
July 16, 2014
Who would win in a fight between your favorite fantasy characters?
I know what MY favorite thing about fantasy books is: fantasy books often have the most exciting, epic, earth-shattering battles. In worlds where anything is possible, magical creatures, logic-defying supernatural abilities, and even nature itself can turn any old argument into a knock-down, drag-out fight to save the universe. It’s so exciting!
Fight scenes in fantasy books always leave me wondering what I would do if I had the abilities or strengths that the characters have. Would I try to save the world, too? Or would I go on silly adventures instead? Probably a little bit of both!
Today’s Fantasy Books Festival post is all about special abilities. Everyone loves a good collision of fantasy universes, so do a little imagining yourself: who would win in a fight between these fictional characters?
Who are your winners? Why? What are your suggestions for fantasy face-offs? Share in the Comments below!
Till next time,
— En-Szu, STACKS Staffer
July 15, 2014
QUIZ: If your personality had a color, what would it be?
Have you ever noticed how some people seem to remind you of certain colors? For example, someone with a sunny, happy personality kind of reminds me of yellow. Now it’s your turn to figure out what color matches your personality. Answer these questions to find out.
- A totally awesome job would be . . . A) TV Producer. B) Veterinarian. C) Kindergarten teacher. D) CEO of Disney. E) President of the United States. Continue reading
July 14, 2014
Summer Vacation Would You Rather
It’s finally summer! Do you have wonderful plans to celebrate and have a great time on vacation? Think about these questions and leave your answers in the Comments.
Would you rather . . .
- Go away with your family OR friends?
- Educational trip OR fun trip?
- Safari OR boat cruise?
- Road trip OR Let’s just fly and get there already?
- Play games in the car to pass the time? OR just sleep?
- Somewhere tropical OR I don’t care as long as it’s not home?
- Disney World OR Six Flags?
- Horseback riding in Wyoming OR surfing in California?
- Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco OR Statue of Liberty in New York?
- Rodeo in Texas OR jet ski in South Carolina?
- Camp in the rain forest in South America OR the Sahara desert in Africa?
- The coast of Maine OR the Canadian Rockies?
- The Australian bush OR the Caribbean island of St. John?
- The Great Wall of China OR the Pyramids of Egypt?
- Yellowstone National Park OR Everglades National Park?
- Water park OR ocean?
- Aquarium OR drive-through safari?
- Botanical garden OR zoo?
- Stay in touch with a friend you met on vacation OR long-distance relationships don’t work?
- What’s the best part of staying at a hotel? The tiny bottles of shampoo OR room service?
- Wander around the hotel to see what it looks like OR head straight for the pool?
- Go out to dinner at a fancy restaurant OR stay in for room service?
- Take a lot of pictures OR just enjoy the sights?
- Always go to the same place OR somewhere different?
- Family vacations are the best OR Get me home already?
July 11, 2014
Interview with Good Luck Charlie‘s Shane Harper!
We asked. You responded. We listened! Last week, I asked you to vote on which celebrity interview you wanted to read this week. The clear winner? Good Luck Charlie‘s Shane Harper. Go, Shane!
If you are like me, you’re super-sad that Good Luck Charlie is now over (even though you can still catch episodes on the Disney Channel), but we’re happy we could catch up with Shane, who played Spencer Walsh on the show. We talked books, favorite school subjects, and–of course–music! Check it out. Continue reading
July 10, 2014
Fantasy Guess the Books: Answers Revealed!
Your challenge yesterday was to name the book titles just by looking at these little pieces of the book covers. Did you guess them all?
Here are the answers:
- Ever After High: The Unfairest of Them All by Shannon Hale
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling
- The Kane Chronicles: The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
- Heroes of Olympus: The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan (coming out October 7, 2014!)
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer