March 9, 2015
Writing Prompt: No matter how old I get. . .
Some things will never change. You love it now, and you always will. It’s your “forever” or something you are so sure about in your heart that you know it will never change! For today’s Writing Prompt, we want to know . . .
No matter how old I get, I will always… (love Harry Potter, sleep with my bunny, be best friends with_______, play basketball)
Serious, silly, or somewhere in between, let us know in the Comments below!
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
March 5, 2015
The Nominees Are in for Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Awards!
Some of our very favorite books were nominated for the 2015 Kids’ Choice Awards, and YOU get to choose the winner!
The Nominees for Favorite Book are . . .
March 5, 2015
Join the Hand and Hand Anti-Bullying Club
Bullying is such a big problem for kids, so we started a club to help you deal with it. Go to the STACK Back Message Board and tell us your stories of being bullied. If you don’t want to go into detail you don’t have to. We are here for you though.
My story: I’ve been bullied almost every year in school. I was tired of it and needed to do something about it. My best friend Layla and I created this organization to help people like us. This is for YOU GUYS.
Join us here!
Rowan, Scholastic Kids Council
March 4, 2015
Attention, all Annie fans!
We are offering you a special opportunity for a chance to enter to win a DVD copy of the Annie movie (rated PG) starring Jamie Foxx as Will Stacks and Cameron Diaz as Miss Hannigan.
But, here’s the thing. You can ONLY enter if you subscribe to the STACKS Blast Newsletter.
Quevenzhane Wallis as Annie
So right now you may be thinking. . .
YOU: Oh no! I’m not a STACKS Blast subscriber and I don’t even know what the STACKS Blast is!
ME: The STACKS Blast is our free monthly e-mail newsletter. You give us your e-mail address and an e-mail address for one of your parents, and once a month (usually around the 15th), we send you a newsletter full of polls, quizzes, books, and a sweepstakes you can enter.
YOU: Cool! I want to get that newsletter! But wait, I want to enter for a chance to win that DVD now. How do I enter?
ME: Patience, grasshopper! First, you sign up for the newsletter. Then you must wait until March 13 when Hooray! the STACKS Blast will arrive in your e-mail inbox. Hurry up and open it! Inside, you’ll see a special section for the STACKS Giveaway. That’s where you enter. OK?
Don’t forget to sign up for the STACKS Blast Newsletter and enter the sweepstakes. Good luck!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
March 2, 2015
Choose Your Own Adventure: A St. Patrick’s Day Story
This morning, you found out your two so-called best friends, Megan and Kelly, are going to be co-leading the presentation in the school St. Patrick’s Day festival . . . and you’ve been assigned to dress up as a bearded leprechaun. Ugh!
You were hoping that you could be a part of the Irish Step Dancing troupe, but when assignments were announced today, you found out that Megan and Kelly would be dancing with Tommy instead. And you three were supposed to be best friends! So you’ll be leading the “folklore” segment of the presentation, whatever that means, and you are definitely NOT a happy camper. The costume alone makes you want to hide under a million blankets until March 18th. Continue reading
March 2, 2015
What’s Your Leprechaun Name?
St. Patrick’s Day is March 17 and we want you to be ready with your leprechaun name in case you meet a leprechaun! Here’s how it works. Find the first initial of your first name in the list below. That word is your leprechaun first name. Then look at the list of the numbers below and pick your luckiest number. That word is your leprechaun last name. For example, my name begins with an S and my lucky number is 10, so my leprechaun name would be Goldie McElfin.
- X- Paddy
Hope you have a fun and happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
February 27, 2015
Meet Mimi Kirkland!
Hi! I’d like to introduce you to Mimi Kirkland. She plays Lily on Austin & Ally this season. Her character is a spunky and energetic girl who begins taking music lessons from Ally so she can hang out with the star. In real life, Mimi loves to spend time with her family and enjoys participating in outdoor activities such as bike riding, swimming, and playing tag with her 2 sisters and her dog.
Photo courtesy Disney Channel
AND . . . she has offered to answer YOUR questions! Do you want to know what it is like to be on a Disney TV show with Laura Marano and Ross Lynch? Now is your chance to ask.
Leave your questions in the Comments and come back here on March 13 for Mimi’s answers!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
February 26, 2015
New IMAX Movie About Humpback Whales!
Humpback Whales is an extraordinary journey into the mysterious world of one of nature’s most awe-inspiring marine mammals. Set in the spectacular waters of Alaska, Hawaii, and the remote islands of Tonga, this ocean adventure gives an up-close look at how these whales sing, feed, play, and take care of their young. Humpbacks were nearly driven to extinction 50 years ago, but today are making a recovery. Join a team of researchers as they unlock the secrets of the humpback and find out why humpbacks are the most acrobatic of all whales, why they sing their haunting songs, and why these intelligent, 55-foot, 50-ton animals migrate up to 10,000 miles round-trip every year.
Watch this video for a behind-the-scenes look into the making of the movie!
Download the Humpback Whales Activity Booklet!
• Humpback whales are found in all oceans on Earth. Populations migrate between summer feeding grounds in temperate polar waters and winter mating grounds in tropical waters. In a sense, the humpback connects all of the world’s oceans.
• Humpback whales are named for the arching motion they make with their backs in preparation for diving. Their scientific name Megaptera Novaeangliae means “great wing,” referring to their large flippers.
• Some of earth’s largest mammals, humpbacks can reach between 40 and 55 feet (about the length of a school bus) and weigh up to 50 tons (about the weight of 500 average-sized human beings). Their lungs alone are about the size of a compact car.
• Humpbacks are one of the few animal species in which females are larger than males.
• The humpback diet consists of krill and varieties of small schooling fish and they have been observed eating up to a ton of food a day when in feeding grounds.
• Humpback whales can swim in bursts up to 16 mph, but swim at slower speeds when feeding.
• A newborn humpback calf can be 10-15 feet long at birth and weigh up to a ton.
• Only the males sing. A humpback song can last as long as 20 minutes, and sometimes the same song will be repeated for hours.
Do YOU think we should do more to protect humpback whales? Join the Save the Planet Message Board to share your thoughts about these glorious animals!
Humpback Whales photos copyright © Brandon Cole
February 25, 2015
Harry Potter Shipping!
Today’s question comes from BubblyBookworm12 on the Harry Potter Board. I am VERY CURIOUS to see your responses to this one!!
I was taking a break from studying when I realized I hadn’t been here in ages. Aaaaages. So I logged on, had a look at all the old posts, and noticed my Harry Potter shipping challenges. Everyone had such great responses and seemed to enjoy them, I thought why not post another? So, here it goes. . .
This week’s couple is:
Professor McGonagall &Vernon Dursley!!!
Leave a Comment saying why you think they could or could NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS be a good couple!
February 24, 2015
Top Secret: K. C. Undercover Would You Rather
If you’re all shaken up Shake it Up is over, then you might need to check out Zendaya’s NEW Disney show that’s all the rage: K.C. Undercover.
K. C. (played by Zendaya) is an undercover spy in a family of undercover spies who go on secret government missions. She is a 16-year-old math genius spy in training (who can rock incredibly dangerous looking 3-inch sneaker high heels)! Her brother Ernie is a socially awkward, but lovable computer expert. And the family receives a new addition of a 10-year-old robot sister Judy. We’re still learning whose side she’s on. It’s pretty hilarious. The stories have a nice mix of capturing the bad guy while balancing being a teenager. And I have to say I love all her outfits!
So for today’s mission, it’s your job to let us know:
Would You Rather . . .
- Go undercover to your school dance and arrest your date (who’s a bad guy spy!) OR go undercover into the football team locker room and arrest the sweaty but gorgeous star quarterback?
- Be a spy like K. C. and her family OR be a ghost like on The Haunted Hathaways?
- Live as a spy in Russia OR Brazil?
- Have a secret gadget to listen in on people’s conversations OR secret gadget to make things explode by pressing a button?
- Discover your parents are spies OR your parents are secretly rich and famous from being in a rock band in the 1990s?
- Be able to dance like Zendaya in Shake It Up OR do action karate moves like Zendaya in K. C. Undercover?
- Have a robot sister like Judy OR a real robot who obeys your every command?
- Be a good spy OR an evil spy? (bwa ha ha ha)
Should you choose to complete this mission, leave your answers in the Comments below. And let us know what you think of Zendaya’s new show K. C. Undercover!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
Photo courtesy of Disney Channel