January 13, 2015
Frozen Fever? Cure available in this Would You Rather Quiz!
We know your love for Disney’s Frozen has not melted. Your heart still warms to all things Elsa, Anna, Olaf … AND with freezing temperatures here in the New York City area and across the northern United States, we decided now is the perfect time for a Frozen Would You Rather quiz. The cold never bothered you anyway, right?
So grab your earmuffs, cozy up, and let us know Would You Rather . . .
- Be Elsa OR Anna?
- Have the power to turn things to ice OR turn things to gold?
- Have Frosty OR Olaf come to life . . . and hang with you?!
- Be raised in Arendelle castle OR be raised by trolls in the wilderness?
- Have a big sister OR little sister?
- Sing “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” OR “Let it Go” in your school talent show?
- Be really frozen OR really sweaty?
- Build a snowman at the North Pole OR build a sand castle on a tropical island?
- Marry Kristoff (from Frozen) OR marry Flynn Rider (from Tangled)?
- Have eternal winter OR eternal summer?
Leave your answers in the Comments below.
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
January 12, 2015
What are your 2014 favorites? (from Hippolyte)
So, this is very simple! Fill out the thingy below with your favorite stuff from 2014! Just for fun, you know. Remember that they don’t have to be things that were created/came out in 2014 necessarily, just stuff you yourself discovered (or maybe re-discovered) during the past year.
In the Comments, tell us your favorite ___[thingy]___ of 2014.
- Book/book series:
- Comic/manga/graphic novel:
- Fictional Character:
- Artist (other forms of art but music):
- Article of clothing:
- Class you took:
Of course you can have ties between two things, or maybe give honorable mentions. Make your answers cool! Feel free to use this quiz/thingy as an excuse to start conversations with other peoples! And happy new year!
Hippolyte from the Reading Buzz Board
January 9, 2015
Top 10 Snape Quotes
Happy Birthday to one of the meanest professors of all time: Severus Snape. January 9 is Professor Snape’s birthday, and to celebrate, here is a list of my top 10 favorite Snape quotes (as written by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling). Here they are in chronological order . . .
- “I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren’t as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach.” (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
- “Tut,tut . . . Fame clearly isn’t everything.” (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
- “That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger,” said Snape coolly. “Five more points from Gryffindor for being an insufferable know-it-all.” (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)
- Well, I think I had better separate the three of you, so you can keep your minds on your potions rather than on your tangled love lives.” (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
- “Potter, when I want nonsense shouted at me I shall give you a Babbling Beverage. And Crabbe, loosen your hold a little, if Longbottom suffocates it will mean a lot of tedious paperwork, and I am afraid I shall have to mention it on your reference if ever you apply for a job.” (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
- Umbridge: You applied first for the Defense Against the Dark Arts post. Is that correct?
Umbridge: But you were unsuccessful?
Snape: Obviously. (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
- “You and Black, you’re two of a kind, sentimental children forever whining about how bitterly unfair your lives have been. Well, it may have escaped your notice, but life isn’t fair.” (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
- “You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them!” (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince)
Warner Bros. Pictures
- “Mr. Potter…” (pretty much all of the books!!!)
Gotta love his sarcasm. Do you see any of your favorites on the list? Or let us know your own in the Comments below!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
January 7, 2015
New Dog Adventure Series: Ranger in Time
Are you a kid who loves . . .
- Dangerous journeys?
Ranger in Time is Kate Messner’s new series that has ALL the above. The main character is Ranger, a lovable search and rescue dog, who travels back in time to join a family as they take on the Oregon Trail. Ranger saves the day, but a lot happens before he gets to return to his own time, his owner, and a nice slab of bacon.
Read the first chapter here!
And get excited for Ranger’s next trip — to ancient Rome!
January 6, 2015
Personality Quiz: What Magical Creature Are You?
One of the best parts of reading fantasy books is escaping to an entirely different world for a while. Do you ever wish you could bring a piece of those magical universes back into your own life? Who wouldn’t want Dobby the house-elf or Mr. Tumnus the faun for a friend? Take this quiz to find out what mythical creature you would be! Continue reading
January 5, 2015
Create Your Caption!
This snow monkey is really enjoying the winter weather at the Cincinnati Zoo! What do you think it is saying as it catches snowflakes on its tongue?
“Snow Monkey Catching Snowflakes” Flickr photo by Mark Dumont
Leave your captions in the Comments.
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
January 2, 2015
Next Stop: London’s Book Benches!
A cool thing happened in London last summer. An organization called the National Literacy Trust hired artists to create book-based sculptures called BookBenches. 50 books from Peter Pan to A Bear Called Paddington were painted onto benches all across London. They called it the “Books About Town.”
The BookBench sculptures were on display on the streets of London this summer, and then sold at a public auction. They raised over £250,000. (That’s about $390,000 in U.S. dollars.) All of that money will go to the National Literacy Trust, a charity dedicated to raising the literacy levels of disadvantaged children and young people across the UK.
As you can see, these BookBenches are pretty amazing – they look like they belong in an art museum!
If you could see one of your favorite books depicted on a bench in your town, what book would it be? Leave your ideas in the Comments below!
Marisa, STACKS Intern
January 1, 2015
Baby Names ANSWERS: What’s Hot and What’s Not in 2014!
Last week we posted 2014 Baby Names Trivia. How did you do? Check out the answers below!
- Which Frozen character name shot up 29% this year? A) Olaf. B) Bulda. C) Elsa. D) Kristoff. ANSWER: Elsa . . . of course! Hans also was up 19%, but Elsa still beat him out.
- Which is NOT one of the top 3 girls’ names of 2014? A) Olivia. B) Sophia. C) Josephine. D) Emma. ANSWER: Josephine.
- Which city or borough would you rather be named after – Denver OR Bronx? Both were popular names in 2014! ANSWER: It’s up to you!
- Which name was NOT new to the girls top 100 list this year? A) Cora. B) Piper. C) Paisley. D) Clara. E) Ava. F) Cadence. ANSWER: Ava was not new. (It’s #4.) However, check out these new additions: Cora is #92. Piper is #94. Paisley is #96. Clara is #99. Cadence is #100.
- The names Easton, Xander, and Ryder are all new to the top 100 boys’ names this year. TRUE or FALSE? ANSWER: TRUE. Welcome aboard, guys!
- These boys’ names fell in popularity this year, and may soon be making their exit from the top 100. Which would YOU pick to be named before they fall of the list? Brayden (down 19 spots to #45) Chase (down 17 to #86) Colin (down 11 to #89) Zachary (down 9 to #67) ANSWER: Up to you! Personally, I love them all!
- Which “Fancy” Australian rapper’s real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly? Her names shot up on the popularity charts in 2014! ANSWER: Iggy Azalea. Iggy gained 75% in boys’ names, and Amethyst was up 55%!
- These names all fell OUT of the top 100 names this year: Bentley, Riley, Mateo, Jake, Ruby, Taylor. TRUE or FALSE? ANSWER: TRUE! Hard to believe, right? Maybe they’ll make a comeback.
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
December 31, 2014
A Million Ways Home (for ages 8 and up) by Dianna Dorisi Winget
When Grandma Beth has a stroke that puts her in the hospital, Poppy Parker has to live in a temporary home for foster kids. Poppy is so unhappy about being unable to see her grandmother each day that she decides to walk to the hospital herself.
But when she stops to buy a snack for Grandma, Poppy accidentally becomes a witness to an armed robbery. To keep Poppy safe, Detective Brannigan sends Poppy to stay with his mother so they can look out for Poppy until the suspect is caught.
Poppy begins volunteering at an animal shelter and makes two unexpected friends – Lizzie, the “bad kid,” and Gunner, the German shepherd. No one wants to adopt Gunner because he once bit a little boy. Poppy feels unwanted too, so she decides to try to save Gunner and find him a home.
But what if Grandma Beth never gets better? And what if the police can’t find the robber? Will Poppy ever be able to go home? Will she be able to save Gunner from a terrible fate? You’ll have to read the book to find out how Poppy’s story ends. Then leave your Comments in the section below!
Marisa, STACKS Intern
December 30, 2014
Baby Names: What’s Hot and What’s Not in 2014!
Now that the year is winding down, the polls are closing on the most popular baby names from 2014. Not too much has changed since last year’s Top Baby Names. For example the girls’ #1 name is still Sophia, and boys’ #1 is Jackson. But there are some new entries into the top 100 list . . . and there are some names that didn’t make the list this year! How name savvy are you? Check out our Baby Names Trivia below . . .
- Which Frozen character’s name shot up 29% this year? A) Olaf. B) Bulda. C) Elsa. D) Kristoff.
- Which is NOT one of the top 3 girls’ names of 2014? A) Olivia. B) Sophia. C) Josephine. D) Emma.
- Which city or borough would you rather be named after – Denver OR Bronx? Both were popular names in 2014!
- Which name was NOT new to the top 100 girls’ names list this year? A) Cora. B) Piper. C) Paisley. D) Clara. E) Ava. F) Cadence.
- The names Easton, Xander, and Ryder are all new to the top 100 boys’ names this year. TRUE or FALSE?
- These boys’ names fell in popularity this year, and may soon be making their exit from the top 100 – boo. Which would YOU pick to be named before they fall of the list? (Personally, I love them all!) Brayden (down 19 spots to #45) Chase (down 17 to #86) Colin (down 11 to #89) Zachary (down 9 to #67)
- Which “Fancy” Australian rapper’s real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly? Her names shot up on the popularity charts in 2014!
- These names all fell OUT of the top 100 baby names this year: Bentley, Riley, Mateo, Jake, Ruby, Taylor. TRUE or FALSE?
NAME your answers in the Comments below, and click here for the answers!
- Ratha, STACKS Writer