July 9, 2015
This month, our STACKS Star is BookwormFairy31.
This awesome star loves to bike, dance, and swim. Her favorite subject is writing and she is aspiring to become a famous author one day. (Did you know she is currently writing her own series as we read and type?) When she is not writing, you can also find her reading books or eating her favorite snacks which include chocolate, French fries, and peanut butter cookies.
Would YOU like a chance to become the next STACKS Star? All you have to do is answer the questions below and I will pick one random user to be featured in the August STACKS Blast newsletter. Don’t forget to update your profile and avatar to make it look your best!
- What is your STACKS screen name?
- What is your favorite book genre and why?
- If you could be any fruit in the world, what would you be and why?
- If there was one thing you absolutely could not live without, what would it be?
- If you could give one gift to every child in the world, what would it be?
To get you all inspired, here are my answers:
- My favorite book genre is sci-fi/fantasy because I love all unicorns, dragons, and fairy tales.
- If I could be any fruit in the world, I would be a durian! It’s an Asian fruit that is spiky and hard on the outside, but soft and pretty on the inside. Some people don’t like it because they say it smells but I love it anyway because I think it’s delicious and I don’t mind being different.
- I could absolutely not live without a pen because I always need to write things down whether it’s my thoughts, things I need to do, letters to people, and pretty much everything.
- I wish I could give every child in the world my/their favorite book. Growing up, I used to always read and reread my favorite childhood book. I remember flipping through the pages, reading the words, and then looking for the details in the illustration. It was my favorite thing to do and it never got old!
Leave your answers in the Comments. I can’t wait to see your answers so start typing away!
Sandy, STACKS Staffer
July 8, 2015
The Giver Readalikes
If you’ve just read The Giver by Lois Lowry (and had your mind totally blown), chances are you’re on the lookout for something equally awesome to read next. But where do you start?! Have no fear, fellow fans! If you’re craving more mystery and adventure in a world full of secrets, check out this super-rad list of The Giver readalikes for ages 10 and up! Continue reading
July 7, 2015
What random item are you?
- It’s the weekend! You’re most looking forward to . . . a) playing kickball with your besties in the park. b) hanging out with your dog. c) putting together an art project like a scrapbook or mural. d) spending quality time on the sofa, reading books and catching up on your favorite movies. e) volunteering!
- Your favorite song is . . . a) a catchy pop tune. b) a chill electronic track. c) very rock n’ roll! d) a beautiful ballad. e) at least 20 years old. Continue reading
July 6, 2015
Did you know that July is National Ice Cream Month?? Sounds like it’s actually the BEST MONTH EVER! I know that I’m gonna spend this month shoveling as much ice cream in my face as possible. No flavor is safe! And my favorite thing to do while eating ice cream is, of course, reading a book! Wouldn’t it be cool if we could combine our favorite books with our favorite ice cream to create book-inspired ice cream flavors? Read on for a few ideas of what I mean. . . Continue reading
July 3, 2015
Minion Mayhem! Minions Would You Rather . . .
We know you guys are big fans of the Despicable Me movies, and as you might know, the unofficial prequel Minions movie is hitting theaters July 10th! In the movie, we follow the minions in search of the perfect supervillain to work for before they met Gru. They try out Dracula, Napoleon, and the new character Scarlet Overkill.
And, this month only, if you subscribe to the STACKS Blast Newsletter you can enter for a chance to win a free Minions Prize Pack including the Minions Operation game and a Minions lunchbox! Subscribe here right now!
Now, get into the minion mindset, and let us know would you rather . . .
1. Be Stuart (one eyeball) OR Bob (small bald guy) OR Kevin (tall skinny guy)?
2. Be Dracula’s minion OR Gru’s minion?
3. Be able to understand “minion” OR speak 10 languages?
4. Be a supervillain OR superhero?
5. Battle The Incredible Hulk OR Darth Vader?
6. HAVE a sidekick OR BE a sidekick?
7. Eat bananas for a week OR watermelon for a week?
8. Have a dragon breathe fire on you OR a sumo wrestler sit on you?
Leave your answers in the Comments below, and let us know if you’re psyched for the movie!
-Ratha, Stacks Writer
July 1, 2015
Debate: Your Least Favorite Good Character
There is a debate happening on the Harry Potter Message Board re: Who is your least favorite good guy? And TechnologyAthlete12 has some harsh words about Ron:
Ron. Yep I know a lot of you will be surprised but I just dislike Ron, as he is quite useless throughout the series other than the one time when he destroyed a horcrux. Other than that, all he does is take the female main character (Hermione Granger) as a wife and yeah. He really just slows things down, makes too much noise, and is too sensitive. I guess his family is okay as they help Harry quite a bit throughout the series, but Ron himself really does nothing. I guess he can be funny at times but that is the only positive thing that he does consistently throughout the series.
What do YOU think? Do you agree that Ron is useless? Who is YOUR least favorite good character? Tell us in the Comments!
June 30, 2015
Vacation Would You Rather
Today’s Would You Rather questions come from from IpodClub36.
You and your family are planning a trip, so would you rather . . .
- Go meet your favorite famous movie star OR go to China?
- Go to Paris OR go to Texas?
- Go to Greece OR go to Italy?
- Go hike up a mountain OR swim with dolphins?
- Go play at your friend’s house OR just play in your back yard?
- Go to an art place OR go to a music place?
- Go to Oz OR go to Hogwarts?
Hoped you liked them! Leave your answers in the Comments!
June 29, 2015
Random Acts of Kindness
So far this has happened to my friend TWO times . . . She was in line at the drive-thru Starbucks, and the person in the car in front of her paid for her order! Isn’t that crazy? So by the time she got to the window to pay, it was already paid for!
Sometimes I wonder about these random acts of kindness. If we all did something at least once . . . one time a day . . . could we change the world one small step at a time? Or at least make it a little happier?
I love this quote by the Chinese poet Lao Tzu: “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
What do you guys think? There are at least a million ways to be kind! Let’s get a list going of acts of kindness that you can do anywhere to brighten someone’s day. Like . . .
- including someone new into your conversation
- giving away a few of your old toys you’ve outgrown to your neighbor’s baby
- holding the door instead of barging ahead
- saying “Hello” to someone in school you’ve never spoken to before
What else can you guys think of? We can’t wait to see your small acts of kindness. We’ll tally the count in the Comments below!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
June 25, 2015
Meet 3 of the new cast members from Teen Beach 2!
Teen Beach 2 is airing this Friday, people, at 8 p.m. on Disney Channel! Are you ready? The Wet Side Story gang will be traveling forward in time to Brady and Mack’s world. That means we will get to meet all their modern-day friends and schoolmates including 3 new characters: Alyssa (played by Piper Curda), Devon (played by Raymond Cham, Jr), and Spencer (played by Ross Butler).
Photo credit: Disney Channel/Bob D’Amico
Piper, Raymond, and Ross were visiting New York with the cast of Teen Beach 2, and they stopped over for a visit at Scholastic! Here is the whole cast celebrating in New York’s Central Park. Read on for more about my super-fun visit with Piper, Raymond, and Ross.
Photo credit: DISNEY CHANNEL/ Lorenzo Bevilaqua
They started off on a serious note recommending their favorite books in this video.
Then, things got very contentious when I asked them the Teen Beach 2 Would You Rather questions. Watch this video to see them argue it out! And make sure you watch to the end because they have a sweet message for all Teen Beach fans.
So fun, right? It was really great to meet them, and I can’t wait to see Teen Beach 2 on Friday! Leave a Comment and tell us what you think!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
June 25, 2015
Gregg Sulkin from the new DVD movie Frog Kingdom (rated PG) is here to answer YOUR questions!
Q: Can you describe your character in Frog Kingdom? Do you have anything in common with him?
Gregg: I play Inspector Noggin but the movie is about a self-contained world, which is actually just a pond where all the frogs live. It’s a monarchical society with a king and queen and a princess. Every year, they hold the frog Olympic Games and this year, the king has decided to give away his daughter in marriage to the winner of the games. So Princess Froglegs runs away. She disguises herself to compete in the games and win to prove “she don’t need no man.” LOL. Inspector Noggin is one of the king’s advisors and a bit of a know-it-all Sherlock Holmes type. The King sends him off to find the princess and bring her back.
I couldn’t really relate because I like to listen and learn from people who are more knowledgeable than myself, whereas my character definitely doesn’t.
Q: What is your favorite scene in the cartoon Frog Kingdom?
Gregg: Probably Princess Frogleg’s scene at the games.
Q: How did you decide that you wanted to be in the Frog Kingdom?
Gregg: Mychal Simka and I had worked together before and I liked the idea of the film. Mychal wanted me on board, so I was happy to join.
Q: What’s your favorite book and why?
Gregg: Wow. Tough question – I read so many scripts I don’t have time to read books as much as I would like!
Q: Is it fun acting in shows and movies?
Gregg: It’s the best. I’m very lucky and I am very aware of that.
Q: What was it like to be a werewolf in Wizards of Waverly Place?
Gregg: It was awesome. The channel treated me very well and gave me a great platform to build from. I’ve developed as an actor and thankfully my fan base has grown massively too.
Q: What is your favorite food?
Gregg: Chocolate or cookies. I have a sweet tooth.