July 13, 2015
Create a Caption for Quark the Dog!
Quark sure is one excited golden retriever! I think he is in his kitchen trying to beg for some crispy bacon!
Here is my caption: “Bacon, bacon, I smell bacon. There’s only one thing that smells like bacon, and that’s BACON!”
What do YOU think Quark would be saying if he could talk? Write your own caption in the Comments!
Amanda, STACKS Intern
July 10, 2015
If you like karate movies, then check out this inspiring, action-packed comedy, Underdog Kids (rated PG), now out on DVD. The film stars Adam Irigoyen (from Shake It Up! and Wizards of Waverly Place), Ryan Potter (from Big Hero 6 and Supah Ninjas), and Cade Sutton (from Kirby Buckets).
When the struggling Mid-City Community Center’s karate team loses their instructor a week before the big tournament, former MMA champ Jimmy “The Lightning Bolt” returns to his old neighborhood and reluctantly agrees to train the misfit bunch. Despite the struggles they face, the washed-up fighter and group of urban underdogs bravely take on the undefeated Beverly Hills Junior National Karate Team in the ultimate karate showdown at Nationals, and learn confidence, courage and honor along the way.
Watch this video from the Underdog Kids DVD to see the difference between the Beverly Hills team and the misfit underdogs! Can you guess which team is which?
Do you practice karate? What do you think of this new movie Underdog Kids? Leave your thoughts in the Comments!
July 9, 2015
This month, our STACKS Star is BookwormFairy31.
This awesome star loves to bike, dance, and swim. Her favorite subject is writing and she is aspiring to become a famous author one day. (Did you know she is currently writing her own series as we read and type?) When she is not writing, you can also find her reading books or eating her favorite snacks which include chocolate, French fries, and peanut butter cookies.
Would YOU like a chance to become the next STACKS Star? All you have to do is answer the questions below and I will pick one random user to be featured in the August STACKS Blast newsletter. Don’t forget to update your profile and avatar to make it look your best!
- What is your STACKS screen name?
- What is your favorite book genre and why?
- If you could be any fruit in the world, what would you be and why?
- If there was one thing you absolutely could not live without, what would it be?
- If you could give one gift to every child in the world, what would it be?
To get you all inspired, here are my answers:
- My favorite book genre is sci-fi/fantasy because I love all unicorns, dragons, and fairy tales.
- If I could be any fruit in the world, I would be a durian! It’s an Asian fruit that is spiky and hard on the outside, but soft and pretty on the inside. Some people don’t like it because they say it smells but I love it anyway because I think it’s delicious and I don’t mind being different.
- I could absolutely not live without a pen because I always need to write things down whether it’s my thoughts, things I need to do, letters to people, and pretty much everything.
- I wish I could give every child in the world my/their favorite book. Growing up, I used to always read and reread my favorite childhood book. I remember flipping through the pages, reading the words, and then looking for the details in the illustration. It was my favorite thing to do and it never got old!
Leave your answers in the Comments. I can’t wait to see your answers so start typing away!
Sandy, STACKS Staffer
July 8, 2015
The Giver Readalikes
If you’ve just read The Giver by Lois Lowry (and had your mind totally blown), chances are you’re on the lookout for something equally awesome to read next. But where do you start?! Have no fear, fellow fans! If you’re craving more mystery and adventure in a world full of secrets, check out this super-rad list of The Giver readalikes for ages 10 and up! Continue reading
July 7, 2015
What random item are you?
- It’s the weekend! You’re most looking forward to . . . a) playing kickball with your besties in the park. b) hanging out with your dog. c) putting together an art project like a scrapbook or mural. d) spending quality time on the sofa, reading books and catching up on your favorite movies. e) volunteering!
- Your favorite song is . . . a) a catchy pop tune. b) a chill electronic track. c) very rock n’ roll! d) a beautiful ballad. e) at least 20 years old. Continue reading
July 6, 2015
Did you know that July is National Ice Cream Month?? Sounds like it’s actually the BEST MONTH EVER! I know that I’m gonna spend this month shoveling as much ice cream in my face as possible. No flavor is safe! And my favorite thing to do while eating ice cream is, of course, reading a book! Wouldn’t it be cool if we could combine our favorite books with our favorite ice cream to create book-inspired ice cream flavors? Read on for a few ideas of what I mean. . . Continue reading
July 3, 2015
Minion Mayhem! Minions Would You Rather . . .
We know you guys are big fans of the Despicable Me movies, and as you might know, the unofficial prequel Minions movie is hitting theaters July 10th! In the movie, we follow the minions in search of the perfect supervillain to work for before they met Gru. They try out Dracula, Napoleon, and the new character Scarlet Overkill.
And, this month only, if you subscribe to the STACKS Blast Newsletter you can enter for a chance to win a free Minions Prize Pack including the Minions Operation game and a Minions lunchbox! Subscribe here right now!
Now, get into the minion mindset, and let us know would you rather . . .
1. Be Stuart (one eyeball) OR Bob (small bald guy) OR Kevin (tall skinny guy)?
2. Be Dracula’s minion OR Gru’s minion?
3. Be able to understand “minion” OR speak 10 languages?
4. Be a supervillain OR superhero?
5. Battle The Incredible Hulk OR Darth Vader?
6. HAVE a sidekick OR BE a sidekick?
7. Eat bananas for a week OR watermelon for a week?
8. Have a dragon breathe fire on you OR a sumo wrestler sit on you?
Leave your answers in the Comments below, and let us know if you’re psyched for the movie!
-Ratha, Stacks Writer
July 1, 2015
Debate: Your Least Favorite Good Character
There is a debate happening on the Harry Potter Message Board re: Who is your least favorite good guy? And TechnologyAthlete12 has some harsh words about Ron:
Ron. Yep I know a lot of you will be surprised but I just dislike Ron, as he is quite useless throughout the series other than the one time when he destroyed a horcrux. Other than that, all he does is take the female main character (Hermione Granger) as a wife and yeah. He really just slows things down, makes too much noise, and is too sensitive. I guess his family is okay as they help Harry quite a bit throughout the series, but Ron himself really does nothing. I guess he can be funny at times but that is the only positive thing that he does consistently throughout the series.
What do YOU think? Do you agree that Ron is useless? Who is YOUR least favorite good character? Tell us in the Comments!
June 30, 2015
Vacation Would You Rather
Today’s Would You Rather questions come from from IpodClub36.
You and your family are planning a trip, so would you rather . . .
- Go meet your favorite famous movie star OR go to China?
- Go to Paris OR go to Texas?
- Go to Greece OR go to Italy?
- Go hike up a mountain OR swim with dolphins?
- Go play at your friend’s house OR just play in your back yard?
- Go to an art place OR go to a music place?
- Go to Oz OR go to Hogwarts?
Hoped you liked them! Leave your answers in the Comments!
June 29, 2015
Random Acts of Kindness
So far this has happened to my friend TWO times . . . She was in line at the drive-thru Starbucks, and the person in the car in front of her paid for her order! Isn’t that crazy? So by the time she got to the window to pay, it was already paid for!
Sometimes I wonder about these random acts of kindness. If we all did something at least once . . . one time a day . . . could we change the world one small step at a time? Or at least make it a little happier?
I love this quote by the Chinese poet Lao Tzu: “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
What do you guys think? There are at least a million ways to be kind! Let’s get a list going of acts of kindness that you can do anywhere to brighten someone’s day. Like . . .
- including someone new into your conversation
- giving away a few of your old toys you’ve outgrown to your neighbor’s baby
- holding the door instead of barging ahead
- saying “Hello” to someone in school you’ve never spoken to before
What else can you guys think of? We can’t wait to see your small acts of kindness. We’ll tally the count in the Comments below!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer