June 19, 2015
This Summer’s Biggest Wave: Teen Beach 2!
When I heard they were making a Teen Beach 2, I. Could. Not. Believe. It. But what could they possibly do to top the first movie?
For those of you who don’t know, Teen Beach Movie stars Ross Lynch (You heard me right!) and Maia Mitchell as teen surfer sweethearts Brady and Mackenzie. They get sucked into a tidal wave-time warp, and end up in a classic 1960s beach movie where everyone spontaneously breaks into song and dance. It’s hard to tell what’s real and not. And it is delicious!
Photo cedit: Disney Channel/Francisco Roman
Teen Beach 2 premieres on June 26th at 8 p.m. on Disney Channel. This time, the tides have turned, and Tanner and Lela from the first movie find themselves in Brady and Mackenzie’s world. Imagine teens from the early 1960s coming to 2015! They discover all our modern day inventions . . . like selfies and chicken nuggets.
To get you stoked for TB2, grab your surfboard, and let us know Would You Rather . . .
- For one week, live in the past (1950s-1960s) OR the future (year 3000)?
- Be a surfer OR a biker?
- Ride a giant wave surfing OR jump between two cliffs on a motorcycle?
- Have Brady’s hair OR that cool “ting” thing when Tanner smiles?
- Spontaneously break into singing OR dancing?
- Wear hot pink high heels OR flip flops?
- Have beach sand in your hair OR motorcycle oil?
- Be a character in Teen Beach 2 OR a character in Austin & Ally?
- Dress in 1950s fashions forever OR dress in 2015 fashions forever?
Let us know what YOU’D rather in the Comments below, and if you’re psyched for the movie! Also, check out this very special, EXCLUSIVE video with the new stars of TB2 to find out how they answer these Would You Rather questions!
-Ratha, Stacks Writer
June 17, 2015
A special message from Carolyn Mackler, author of Best Friend Next Door
At first, it doesn’t look like Hannah and Emme are going to be friends. When Emme moves in next door to Hannah, there’s a big problem. Emme has moved right into the house that Hannah’s best friend just moved out of (and out of the country, too). And not only that, but the two fifth graders both have names that are spelled the same backward and forward, they have the same birthday, and they both hate pizza and love peanut butter. Hannah is not happy about this identity theft. But after a rocky start, Hannah and Emme realize that their friendship is meant to be, and they will stick together through bullying, fund-raising fiascoes, sick pets, and new babies.
I loved writing Best Friend Next Door. It made me think about my best friend growing up on Centennial Avenue. Her name was (and still is!) Stephie. She actually lived three doors down, but those two houses in between didn’t mean anything to us. We wore a path through the other backyards to each other’s homes. We swam in her pool in the summer and sledded down the roof of my sloped garage in the winter. (We got in trouble for this one.) We made a tin-can phone and tin-can stilts, and set up an obstacle course for my dog, Rascal, in my backyard. To honor Stephie’s and my friendship, I put Hannah’s and Emme’s houses on Centennial Avenue, though in a fictional town.
There is nothing like a best friend, and even better, a best friend you can visit at all hours, even in your pajamas.
Would you like to live next to your best friend? Do you know anyone who has a palindrome name?
– Carolyn Mackler, author of Best Friend Next Door
June 16, 2015
Gaming Personality Quiz
Want to know what kind of STACKS gamer you are? Take our quiz and find out.
1. Your favorite thing to do in the summer when you are bored is . . .
a. Pick up a branch, turn it into a sword, and find an adventure!
b. Grab a pencil, and relax while completing a few challenging puzzles like word games or Sudoku.
c. Doodle in last semester’s old notebook pages while listening to music.
d. Grab a basketball and shoot a few hoops with friends.
2. My favorite game console is . . .
a. Xbox One or PS4.
b. Nintendo 3DS XL.
c. I don’t have a favorite.
3. You’re in the middle of playing your favorite game when your mom makes you stop to have dinner with the family. Your thoughts are . . .
a. “Aw man! I don’t want to stop but I guess I can use a break to plot out my next few moves and come up with a strategy.”
b. “I don’t mind taking a break. This game isn’t going anywhere so I’ll just finish it when I get back.”
c. *Growling noise* “Wow, was that my stomach? You never realize how much time goes by when you’re having fun.”
d. “Finally! I’m starving!”
4. If you could become a magical creature, which one would you choose?
a. A fierce, fire-breathing dragon who protects a mountain of gold.
b. A wise unicorn who is humble and gentle.
c. An elf who can build anything.
d. A mermaid who is a natural born swimmer, swift and agile.
5. Which element do you relate to the most?
6. When playing a RPG (role-playing game) game you have never played before . . .
a. you play it until you master it so you can beat all your friends.
b. you first look for secrets online to see how you can complete the game faster.
c. you create your character to make it look like an awesome hero, and then worry about the actual game later.
d. you don’t know what’s going on but you are going to smash all the buttons and hope it gets you somewhere.
7. Which character do you relate to the most?
a. Harry Potter.
b. Sherlock Holmes.
c. Captain Underpants.
d. Abby from Whatever After.
If you picked . . . Continue reading
June 15, 2015
Giant Lamb Banana Create a Caption
Scholastic Kids Council member Izzy sent this awesome photo for today’s create a caption. The little hippos are confused, but the giant lamb banana isn’t talking. What do you think it’s thinking?
Leave your caption for this photo in the Comments.
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
June 12, 2015
Fantastic Beast Cast Announcement!
Last year, we gave you news of J.K. Rowling’s next wizarding world movie Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. The movie is coming to theaters in November 2016, and we finally have our Newt Scamander: Eddie Redmayne!
“I’m hugely excited,” Redmayne told the London Evening Standard. “J.K. Rowling’s a genius, I am so thrilled to be a part of it but I can’t say a single word beyond that . . . I’ve always loved that world and I feel thrilled to be invited into it.”
33-year-old Edward John David Redmayne was born and raised in London, England. Eddie is one of five children. He took drama lessons from a young age. His first stage appearance was as a workhouse boy in Oliver! in London’s West End.
Les Miserables photo courtesy Universal Pictures
In 2012, he co-starred in the musical Les Misérables (rated PG-13) as Marius Pontmercy.
In 2014, he played scientist Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything (rated PG-13), and won multiple awards, including the Academy Award for Best Actor.
J. K. Rowling said herself on Twitter that she is “Thrilled that Eddie Redmayne will be starring in Fantastic Beasts. He’ll be a perfect Newt Scamander!”
With his red hair and freckles, he totally could have been a Weasley in the Harry Potter movies, but that never happened. Either way, I’m excited to see him in Fantastic Beasts, and just basically really, REALLY excited to see this movie!
What do you think? Does he look like Newt Scamander to you? Are you excited? Leave a Comment!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
June 12, 2015
This month, our STACKS Star is MermaidAthena542. This Star loves gymnastics, skiing, and swimming. Her hobbies include reading, acting, kicking back with friends, and surfing the net. She never leaves home without her cell phone, gum, and a favorite book. Some of the many things she can do include rubbing her belly and patting her head at the same time, eating a whole pizza by herself, twirling a baton, whistling, and winking. She plans to read The Book Thief (for ages 12 and up) this summer, and she has very strong opinions about Dracmione (Draco Malfoy + Hermione Granger as a couple).
Would YOU like a chance to become the next STACKS Star? All you have to do is answer the questions below and I will pick one random user to be featured in the July STACKS Blast newsletter. Don’t forget to update your profile and avatar to make it look your best!
- What is your STACKS screen name?
- What is the coolest thing you have done or will do this summer?
- Who is your favorite person in the world and why?
- Finish this sentence: The best part about summer is . . .
To get you all inspired, here are my answers:
- The coolest thing I have done this summer is go horseback riding through the countryside in South Carolina.
- My favorite person in the world is my dad. He’s an amazing cook with a kind heart and he loves me unconditionally.
- The best part about summer is that there’s never a bad time or place to eat ice cream!
Leave your answers in the Comments. I can’t wait to see your answers so start typing away!
Sandy, STACKS Staffer
June 12, 2015
We met the members of R5, and they are really funny!
We got up-close and personal with the 5-piece band R5 consisting of Ross Lynch, Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch, Rydel Lynch, and (Ellington) Ratliff. What’s it like touring the world? What are their favorite things about each other? Find out the answers to these questions and more below! Continue reading
June 11, 2015
Duct Tape by Beata, Scholastic Kids Council
My duct tape collection is one of my favorite things. Making things out of duct tape is a simple craft that doesn’t require much skill at first. You develop skills as you go. My first duct tape wallet wasn’t that good. It had a lot of wrinkles and it was sticky on top. With practice, my wallets look pretty awesome now.
Duct tape comes in a lot of interesting colors and prints. It is fun to mix and match, and it’s fun to follow the new designs that come out. My favorite duct tape is the Minions print. Some others that I like are Olaf, Hello Kitty, Star Wars, Peace Love and Smiles, flying pigs, burlap, ducks, and a pretty rainbow chevron design.
I recommend looking at The Art of Duck Tape website if you want to learn more about duct tape. Have you ever made anything out of duct tape? Tell me in the Comments.
Beata, Scholastic Kids Council
June 10, 2015
Tui Sutherland Q&A
Tui Sutherland is the author of the Wings of Fire series. In honor of the Summer Reading Challenge, she has offered to answer some questions about her books and characters!
Q: Are any of your characters based on real people? Did any of things that happen to them in your books happen to you or people you know? Continue reading
June 9, 2015
What Should You Do When You’re Bored?
It’s summertime! Even if your schedule is packed to the rafters with camping trips, pool parties, concerts, theme parks, and more, chances are you’ll find yourself with at least an hour or two of downtime . . . so what do you do? Don’t let boredom bring you down! Take our handy-dandy Boredom Personality Quiz and find out what activity YOU should do to keep the boredom at bay. You’re in for one very fun summer!
- Your favorite pizza is . . . a) extra cheese. b) plain. c) pepperoni. d) veggie. e) something you’ve never tried before.
- Your dream fictional creature pet would be . . . a) a unicorn. b) a talking mouse. c) Pegasus. d) a phoenix. e) a dragon.
- Your dream digs would be . . . a) a castle by the sea. b) a quiet cottage in the woods. c) a farm. d) an apartment in a busy city. e) nowhere in particular–your dream is to travel, not settle down!
- You are most drawn to the color . . . a) blue. b) grey. c) yellow. d) green. e) red.
- You are most grossed out by . . . a) people who are mean to other people. b) people with really bad table manners. c) people who complain. d) blood! e) dirty dishes.
- You deal with frustrating situations by . . . a) taking a deep breath and trying to be patient. b) avoiding them!!! c) sticking by your convictions no matter what. d) finding a creative solution that makes everyone happy. e) getting someone else to help you stay positive.
- You watch TV and movies . . . a) a few hours a month. b) hardly ever. You can go weeks without TV and somehow survive! c) a few hours a day. d) only when it’s a show or movie you really, really want to see. e) a few hours a week.
- When out shopping, you . . . a) get things in a style you know you already like. b) get things that are comfortable. c) pick out the trendiest stuff you possibly can! d) go for new styles and looks you haven’t tried. e) zero in on the active gear.
- When something embarrassing happens you . . . a) get really mad, but cool off quickly and forget about it a few days later. b) hide in your room until you think most people have forgotten. c) laugh along with everyone. d) write about it in your journal until you feel better . . . . about a week later. e) do something awesome that will make everyone forget how embarrassing that was!
- Your favorite subject in school is . . . a) Computers. b) Language Arts. c) Science. d) Art. e) Math.
Keep reading for the results! Continue reading