Ostrich Trivia Quiz
My father grew up in South Africa (the world leader in ostrich farming) where there are ostrich ranches that have these crazy ostrich rodeos and races with people trying to ride the ostriches. I've never seen it in real life, but I have seen ostriches close up, and I can totally understand how they would inspire people to want to do ridiculous things. Ostriches are actually really hilarious to watch. The way their skinny heads bob up and down, and their huge eyes look at you over their pointy beaks – it's just funny somehow.
But ostriches are seriously amazing birds.
Guess the answers to this Ostrich Trivia Quiz and behold the true awesomeness of the ostrich!
- Ostriches can’t fly but they can run really fast. Guess their top speed.
A) up to 43 miles per hour B) up to 26 miles per hour C) up to 15 miles per hour d) up to 70 miles per hour
- One ostrich stride can be up how many feet long?
A) 4 feet B) 8 feet C) 12 feet D) 16 feet
- The secret to their great speed is that they have really long, powerful legs and only how many toes?
A) 1 B) 2 C) 3 D)4
- True or False: An ostrich kick is powerful enough to kill a lion.
- A female ostrich is called a
A) Doe B) Mare C) Hen D) Queen
- Why do ostriches bury their heads in the sand?
A) To attract a mate B) To be playful C) To show aggression D) They don’t really do that. How could they possibly bury their heads in the sand?
- True or False: Ostriches swallow sand, pebbles, and small stones to help grind up food before it gets to their stomachs.
- Ostriches lay the largest eggs of any living bird. One ostrich egg weighs as much as how many chicken eggs?
A) 6 B) 12 C) 18 D) 24
- Who would win? A baby ostrich or a baby dinosaur?
- Would you rather ride an ostrich OR ride a bucking bronco?
- A) Up to 43 miles per hour. That's as fast as the fastest racehorse.
- D) 16 feet. That's bigger than a lot of rooms! Seriously. Go measure your bedroom and see. An ostrich could cross my room in a single bound.
- B) 2. This makes their feet kind of similar to horses' hooves.
- True. You do NOT want to get an ostrich mad! They may look silly but they can mess you up!
- C) Hen, a 6-foot-tall mother hen!
- D) They don't really do that. It's a myth that ostriches bury their heads in the sand. When an ostrich senses danger and cannot run away, it flops to the ground and remains still, with its head and neck flat on the ground in front of it. Because the head and neck blend in with the color of the soil, it just looks like the ostrich has buried its head in the sand.
- True. Don't try this at home. I'm pretty sure the human stomach doesn't need this kind of help to digest food.
- D) 24. That is one enormous omelet!
- and 10. Leave YOUR answers in the Comments!
Do you now have a new appreciation for the glorious ostrich? Leave a Comment if you agree with me that ostriches are hilari-awesome!
Animal facts courtesy of the San Diego Zoo
Image courtesy Sonja, photographed in Oudtshoorn, South Africa