It’s almost time for the Olympics! Ringing in day 2 of our Olympic Games-themed week is this fun trivia quiz on all things interesting, weird, and plain silly about Olympic years past. I like to joke, when people ask me if I play any sports that I do marathons all the time . . . marathons of my favorite TV shows that is! So, in the spirit of good sportsmanship, here’s a little multiple-choice action fun:
- At the 1900 Olympics in France, winners didn’t receive gold, silver, or bronze medals. Instead, they received:
a) French pastries b) goats c) paintings d) land
- The Olympics were held in London in 1908, too. But instead of lasting 17 days, they lasted:
a) 1 year b) 6 months c) 100 days d) 187 days
- The oldest and youngest Olympians to ever compete were, respectively:
a) 63 years old and 12 years old b) 99 years old and 6 years old c) 72 years old and 10 years old d) 57 years old and 13 years old
- At the 2008 Olympic Games, China won 100 medals (including 51 gold). But did you know that for the longest time, China was medal-less? In what year did China win its first Olympic medal?
- Which of the following playground activities was actually once an Olympic sport?
a) Hopscotch b) Tug-of-War c) Red Rover d) Freeze Tag
- Which pooch-related activity enjoyed 1 brief year as an Olympic event?
a) sled dog racing b) poodle clipping c) speed walking with dogs d) puppy juggling
- The very first recorded Olympic Games took place in 776 BC and consisted of only 1 event (unlike this year’s 26)! And the winner was:
a) a soldier b) a politician c) a baker d) a shepherd
- The 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne, Australia were the first to be boycotted. But that’s not the only interesting fact about those Games that never happened. Because they were to take place in the Southern Hemisphere, they were scheduled to begin in this month:
a) March b) July c) September d) December
- Approximately how much dirty laundry will athletes produce during this Olympic Games?
a) 50,000 pounds b) 100,000 pounds c) 750,000 pounds d) 2 million pounds
- Which discontinued Olympic sport do you think is the silliest?
a) swimming obstacle race b) rope climbing c) solo synchronized swimming d) one-hand weightlifting
Image courtesy London 2012