Aah, middle school. For me, the memories blend together. I got glasses and braces in the same year (6th grade was cruel!), drifted in and out of cliques, awkwardly stumbled through school dances and crushes, and didn’t make the cheerleading squad. I’m still convinced it was rigged! The coach’s daughter and her friends were all on the squad. . . hmm.
Anyhow, I’m completely over it now, as you can see. And sometimes the best way to make it through the drama is to laugh about it! That’s what the Middle School Survival series by Nancy Krulik does. If you’re not already familiar with these books, check ‘em out. The main character, Jenny, struggles through BFF betrayals, secret admirers, pep squads, snow days, rumors, summer camp, and of course … embarrassing moments.
So test your (middle school) survival smarts in this Scavenger Hunt below. You’ll find the answers by searching around the different sections on the Middle School Survival site. See how many answers you can get. But don’t worry, it’s not graded!
1. Name the first three books of the How I Survived Middle School series.
2. In the past TOP 10 lists, what ranked as the #1 Favorite Breakfast Food?
3. Ok, I couldn’t resist another Top 10 list Q. They are totally addictive. What ranked as the #1 Favorite Cartoon Character?
4. Create your own Tip. The night before a big test, you should _____. Fill in the blank with your own advice!
5. Which section features real kids’ most embarrassing stories that you can rate with 1 being “Not Too Bad”, and 5 being “Ugh, the Worst!”
6. Create a Crush! What is his or her name?
7. Play the M.A.S.H. game. What will your job be? How many kids will you have?
8. What is the name of the science camp Jenny and her friends go to in book #10 Into the Woods? (HINT: check out the BOOKS section.)
Come back next week for answers. Until then!
—Ratha, Stacks Writer