While shopping for my 2-year-old nephew (who loooves all things Thomas the Train. Remember those days?) I was thinking about all the past holiday toy fads. Remember those "must-have" toys? See how many you can guess below.
1. When it first came out in 1996, this furry red Sesame Street monster toy left kids tickled pink. . . And toy store shelves empty.
2. Last year's biggest toys featured these robotic hamsters with names like Num Nums, Mr. Squiggles, and PipSqueak.
3. These were a huge fad in the 1980s and featured dolls from a vegetable patch (not lettuce!).
4. One of THIS year's popular toys, these strange looking creatures sing independently, or together to create musical harmony. Sort of.
5. In 1999, this little yellow Japanese creature burst onto the scene. With video games, trading cards, and TV shows, he soon became Nintendo's pop culture icon.
6. A hot topic item this year, this "paper" guitar allows you to play real guitar chords and songs by touching the paper surface.
Check back next week for answers. Until then, happy shopping!
— Ratha, Stacks Writer