Hello, Harry Potter lovers! Did you drink a glass of butterbeer in honor of Hermione’s birthday on September 19? Or maybe it would have been more appropriate to, like, do some extra homework, or read a 4,000-page book in your spare time. Anyway, we love Hermione and we celebrated her with a Hermione Trivia Quiz last week. Here are the answers. Let’s see how much you know about the brightest witch of her age.
- How much does the Daily Prophet cost? (Harry Potter and Sorcerer’s Stone page 62)
ANSWER: b) 5 bronze Knuts. An owl delivers the paper to Hagrid while on the Hut-on-the-Rock.
- What’s the breakdown for Wizarding money? (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone page 75)
ANSWER: 29 bronze Knuts to a Sickle, and 17 silver Sickles to 1 gold Galleon.
- Which bricks are tapped to get into Diagon Alley from behind the Leaky Cauldron? (Harry Potter and Sorcerer’s Stone page 70)
ANSWER: a) 3 up and 2 across. Hagrid surprises Harry by using his umbrella to open the secret entrance.
- How many staircases are there at Hogwarts? (Harry Potter and Sorcerer’s Stone page 131)
ANSWER: b) 142
- Which is NOT one of Professor Dumbledore’s first words at Harry’s first Hogwarts welcoming ceremony? (Harry Potter and Sorcerer’s Stone page 123)
ANSWER: d) Doodlebug
- Since when has Ollivanders Wand Shop been in business? (Harry Potter and Sorcerer’s Stone page 81)
ANSWER: d) 382 BC. Insane!
- Which is NOT an ingredient in the Polyjuice Potion? (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets page 165)
ANSWER: a) Cat hair. Hermione accidentally had cat hair in her first attempt at the Polyjuice Potion, and it caused the spell to go horribly wrong. Animal hairs and Polyjuice Potions do not mix!
- What is the first thing that Hermione makes float during Professor Flitwick’s Charms class? (Harry Potter and Sorcerer’s Stone page 171)
ANSWER: b) a feather. “Wingardium Leviosa!”
- What is Hermione’s patronus? (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix page 607)
ANSWER: b) an otter. It’s not easy to do an Expecto Patronum spell, but of course Hermione managed to master it.
- What do Hermione’s parents do for a living? (Harry Potter and Sorcerer’s Stone)
ANSWER: They are both dentists.
— Elysse, STACKS Writer
Illustration by Mary GrandPre