- This location is a country in upper Europe. More folk songs are written in the language of this country than that of any other in the world. This country belonged to the Soviet Union at one point. The capital city is Tallinn. This country is mentioned in (but not the setting of) the book Second Fiddle by Rosanne Parry (for ages 12 and up).
- This location is an American hiking trail that goes from Georgia to Maine. People who hike the whole thing are called thru-hikers. This trail is the partial setting of the book Halfway to the Sky by Kimberley Brubaker Bradley.
Answer: Appalachian Trail
- This is an island country. It was under dictatorship until 1961. It shares its island with another country, and is the setting for Julia Alvarez’s Before We Were Free (for ages 12 and up).
Answer: Dominican Republic
- This is an American state. When it was first purchased as a territory, this state was called Seward’s Folly. It is the easternmost and westernmost state. It is the 49th state, and I will not give a book clue because this one is pretty easy.
- This location is also an American state. It includes the Grand Canyon, and is the 48th state to enter the Union. It is the setting for Ann Rinaldi’s book The Staircase.
- Use these key phrases and words to identify the city: Eiffel Tower, France, Arc de Triomphe.
- Use these terms to identify the American state: Monticello, Williamsburg, Colony, George Washington.
- Use these book titles to identify the country: The Lacemaker and the Princess by Kimberley Brubaker Bradley, Second Fiddle by Rosanne Parry, and The Royal Diaries: Marie Antoinette, Princess of Versailles by Kathryn Lasky.
July 16, 2013