TRUE or FALSE? Did you guess the fake news stories of 2013?
Last week, we posted a trivia quiz on the Fake News Stories of 2013. Did you guess which ones were true and which ones were made up out of the blue? Check out the answers below to see how you did.
- A frog was launched into space by NASA.
ANSWER: TRUE. NASA’s LADEE space rocket was on the way to the moon, when apparently this research frog escaped. The official quote from NASA says, ”The photo team confirms the frog is real and was captured in a single frame by one of the remote cameras used to photograph the launch. The condition of the frog, however, is uncertain.” Take a look at this incredible picture from NASA’s website! Can you spot the poor little guy?
- A deer in Florida got its head stuck in a bag of Doritos.
ANSWER: TRUE. In June, a police deputy discovered the poor animal while on patrol in the Florida Keys. Its entire head was stuck in the bag! The Monroe County Sheriff’s office reported the deer allowed the deputy to remove the bag without a struggle. So don’t forget to throw your trash away in a proper container!
- One Direction signed on for a new Disney Channel TV series in 2014.
ANSWER: FALSE. But wouldn’t that be awesome?
- A California baby can only nap when his puppy naps with him.ANSWER: TRUE. In a series of pics that went viral, a California tot got used to sleeping with his puppy. The pup waits for him each day by his crib for naptime. Can you say adorable?
- Suzanne Collins announced she will write a Hunger Games prequel (for ages 12 and up).
ANSWER: FALSE. If only…!!
- A boy in Florida was hit in the head by a meteorite.
ANSWER: True. According to the Orlando Sentinal newspaper, a seven-year-old boy was playing outside when he was struck in the head by what looked like small pebbles. He was taken to the hospital, and tests showed that the stones were metallic, and most likely from space! There have only been two other reported meteorite incidents in American history – in 1954 an eight-pound fragment hit a woman in Alabama, and in 1992 a car was crushed in New York by a 27-pound piece.
- Penguins dressed as Santa waddled through a park in South Korea.ANSWER: TRUE. And extremely cute.
- Studies showed people who eat high amounts of red meat developed animal-like characteristics, such as making “moo” noises and clucking like chickens.
ANSWER: FALSE. C’mon, that would just be weird. Although it is important to eat a balanced diet.
What a year. Do you guys have predictions for wacky things that could happen in 2014? In the Chinese calendar it is the Year of the Horse, if that helps you out with any ideas. (Last year 2013 was the Year of the Snake). Let us know your predictions in the Comments below!
—Ratha, Stacks Writer
NASA frog photo credit: NASA Wallops Flight Facility/Chris Perry
Toddler and puppy photo credit: Jessica Shyba
Penguin photo credit: AP