September 10, 2016
Sometimes I think I should work a little less and make a few more friends — because I find myself talking to my stuffed animal friend, Monkey, a lot.
I guess Monkey was thinking the same, because one day I came home and found him working on the computer! I can’t imagine what he was thinking — can you?
Photo Credit: Davin Cheng
Leave a comment telling me what you think Monkey was thinking — or what he said after I saw him!
September 7, 2016
Have you noticed a lot of book titles have the main character’s first and last names in them? Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key.
So I thought it would be fun to re-title some of my old favorite books whose titles are just too short:
||Holes becomes . . .Stanley Yelnats Breaks the Family Curse
||Walk Two Moons becomes . . .Salamanca Tree Hiddle Goes on a Journey to Search for Her Mother
||Hoot becomes . . .Roy Eberhardt Saves the Owls
||Swindle becomes . . .Griffin Bing Pulls Off the Heist of the Century
||Tangerine becomes . . .Paul Fisher Thinks His Parents Are Lying to Him
What new titles would YOU make up for your favorite books?
September 5, 2016
Enter the Raina Telgemeier Draw Your Own Graphic Novel Contest for a chance to win a Skype visit with Raina Telgemeier, the author of Sisters, Smile, Drama, and her newest book Ghosts!
Click here for more details about entering the Contest.
August 22, 2016
They make up less than 10% of the population. They are more prone to allergies. They are more likely to be a male than female. And their nails grow faster on their left hands than on their right! Who are they? Clap your left AND left hands together for … left-handers.
But wait, being a lefty is not all rainbows and unicorns. There are some problems righties will never know about. That’s why we’d now like to bring your attention to …
10 Problems Only Left Handed People Understand
10. You have to carefully plan which hand to extend when shaking hands.
9. Video game controllers drive you crazy.
8. It’s hard to find a left-handed baseball glove.
7. Spiral notebooks always poke you.
6. The mouse in your computer lab is always on the right.
5. You’re the only one in your family. Sniff sniff.
4. Scissors are tricky.
3. You get tired of hearing, “What? You’re a lefty?”
2. Markers and pencils smudge when you write.
1. Your left hand is covered with those smudges!
And there you have it. Are you left-handed? Share your trials and tribulations in the Comments below!
August 11, 2016
This Blog Post Is Sponsored by STORKS.
One unexpected surprise. One giant adventure.
The animated adventure STORKS (rated PG) is in theatres nationwide on September 23 —fly on over and check out the movie trailer.
The STORKS Movie Baby Name Game!
Storks deliver babies…or at least they used to. Now they deliver packages for a global internet retail giant in the movie STORKS. Junior is the company’s top delivery stork, and he’s about to be promoted when he accidentally activates the Baby Making Machine, producing an adorable and wholly unauthorized baby girl. Desperate to deliver this bundle of trouble before the boss gets wise, Junior and his friend Tulip, the only human on Stork Mountain, race to make their first-ever baby drop – in a wild and revealing journey that could make more than one family whole and restore the storks’ true mission in the world.
Are they up to the challenge? Are you? What name would you give the STORKS movie baby? Leave your ideas for the STORKS baby name in the Comments!
August 9, 2016
Are you obsessed with the book you are reading now? Have you ever been unable put down a book because you are so totally completely lost in your book? If so, this one’s for you!
10 Problems Only Obsessed Readers Understand
10. Dripping food on your book because you MUST eat dinner and read simultaneously.
9. Staying up WAY past your bedtime to finish One. Last. Chapter.
8. That terrible feeling you get when you are on a car trip – you arrive at your destination – and you have to put your book down!
7. That sad, sad feeling when you know the end of your book is near.
6. Stressing out over lending your favorite books to your friends. What if they don’t give them back?!
5. Fan fiction. To read or not to read?
4. The pressure to like “the other” books in the series, even if you really only liked the first.
3. Are they going to make a movie of that book? Will it ever live up? Yes! No! Too stressful!
2. You started naming your pets after your favorite characters.
1. Getting in trouble for reading during class. You know it’s bad when even your teachers want you to stop reading!
Are you an obsessed reader? Let us know what problems YOU’VE run into in the Comments below!
Image courtesy Portland Button Works
August 8, 2016
Hey! This dog is rocking a fun haircut while out on the town for a walk! What would you say he is thinking?
Here’s my caption: “I wish my owner had brought more hair gel. I see some other dogs I want to impress!”
Write YOUR caption in the Comments below!
Megan, STACKS Intern
August 1, 2016
Are you a twin? Sometimes you may love it, and sometimes not so much. But there are certain things in life only you and your other half can truly ever understand. Therefore the following list is devoted to you, my twin friends.
10 Things Only Twins Understand
Photo courtesy Warner Bros.
- You know exactly what your twin is thinking you can finish your twin’s sentences.
- Being jealous of your twin’s other friends.
- Matching clothes. Rhyming names. You either love ‘em or hate ‘em.
- Having to share everything.
- You wave back to random people who think you are your twin.
- The Competition. In. Everything.
- People think you have the same personality just because you look the same.
- You’re going to go crazy if another person asks you, “Who’s the good twin?”
- Your teachers can never tell you apart.
- Even if you fight, you know you’ll love your twin forever.
Do you have a partner in crime – a.k.a. twin? Let us know your feelings in the comments below.
July 26, 2016
Pack Up! Hiking and Camping Name Generator
People who hike the Appalachian Trail come up with fake names for themselves so they don’t reveal their real names to strangers they meet on the Trail. Wish you had your own outdoorsy, fake name? You can make one with our HIKING AND CAMPING NAME GENERATOR!
Find the first letter of your first name in the left column below, and the word next to it is your new first name. Then find the first letter of your last name in the right column below, and the word next to it is your new last name. So if your name is, say . . . Abercrombie Fitch, your new hiking name is Bear-Poop Mosquito.
Ready to become that cool, outdoorsy hiking and camping person? Go!
||First Letter of First Name
||First Letter of Last Name
||First Aid Kit
What’s your Hiking and Camping Name? Tell us in the Comments below!
-Ratha (a.k.a Blaze Crickets)
July 25, 2016
Create a caption for this glorious goldfish!
Leah from the Scholastic Kids Council sent this wonderful picture of her pet goldfish in all its glorious goldishness!
What do you think this fish is trying to say?