August 18, 2014
It’s time to go back to school!
It’s finally time to go back to school! YAYYYY!!! There are so many reasons to get excited about going back to school but for today’s Who Would Win, please choose between these 2:
Which is better?
Having the best school library OR having the best school supplies in your school bag?
Leave your vote in the Comments. And tell us your favorite part about going back to school.
–Sonja, STACKS Staffer
The librarian photo credit aussiegal; My schoool bag photo credit anasararojas
August 11, 2014
Writing Prompt: Fight for Your Reader Rights!
Reading is one of your passions. You could get lost in a good book for hours, or finish a series within days. You are a bona-fide, certified, qualified READER. But sometimes you run into problems . . . like the library is not open on Sundays in the summer . . . or it’s always too noisy with siblings running around your house. Well, we are writing a Reader’s Bill of Rights, so now’s your chance to state your demands to make it easier for you to be a reader.
- Article 1: Quiet time
- Article 2: Free access to any library in the world
- Article 3: Libraries open on Sundays
What rights do you think readers should have? Tell us your list of rights in the Comments below, and we will create a complete STACKS Reader’s Bill of Rights for you.
—Ratha, STACKS Writer
August 4, 2014
Create a Caption for Fatboy
It looks like this is one doggie who really knows how to use his puppy dog eyes to his advantage! Who could say no to that face? I would just be giving him treat after treat after treat!
What do YOU think he is begging for? Write your own caption for Fatboy in the Comments!
Here’s my caption: “Oh! Oh! Can I pleeeasse sit on the couch? Billy is reading his Clifford books and I reaalllly want to look at the pictures!”
Amanda, STACKS Intern
July 28, 2014
Celebrate Harry Potter’s birthday with us all week long!
Hey, everyone! Welcome to the happiest week of the year (except maybe Christmas or the first week of school): Harry Potter Week! To celebrate Harry’s birthday, we will be featuring Harry Potter on the blog all week long . . . AND having a live readathon/ virtual birthday party on Thursday, July 31. Please come if you can and bring a friend. You’re TOTALLY invited!
Let’s start the week with this Writing Prompt from Skyelark Moon on the Harry Potter Message Boards who is obviously a fan of the Harry Potter series, as you can tell from this question . . .
**Spoilers from ALL the books follow!**
- The Philosopher’s Stone (a.k.a. The Sorcerer’s Stone): I have always loved the scene in Diagon Ally especially when Harry is in Ollivanders. Something about it is so . . . magical.
- The Chamber of Secrets: The moment when Harry and Ron are figuring out the secret to the Chamber of Secrets has always been one of my favorite parts. I love mysteries, so this was a great part to me.
- The Prisoner of Azkaban: I love the chapter “Cat, Rat, and Dog.” The Marauders are some of my favorite characters, and seeing them interact with each other is fantastic.
- The Goblet of Fire: I have always liked the section in between the first and second tasks: namely the scene where Harry opens the egg in the water.
- The Order of the Phoenix: The Room of Requirement is one of my favorite places in Hogwarts, so naturally all of the Dumbledore’s Army parts are my favorite.
- The Half-Blood Prince: I really like the part when Harry first uses the Half-Blood Prince’s book to brew the Draught of Living Death.
- The Deathly Hallows: I love the ending of The Deathly Hallows, especially when they seem to be figuring out where all the Horcruxes are. As I mentioned previously, I really love mysteries, so this part was great, in my opinion.
Skyelark Moon, who really wants to read Harry Potter right now, but she can’t.
Leave your answers in the Comments and mark your calendars for the readathon on Thursday!
Harry Potter illustration by Mary GrandPré
July 7, 2014
Raining money, an alien invasion, and a 20-gallon ice cream-eating contest. Only on the STACKS!
AquaLadybug7 gave us a What Would You Do If. . . Quiz a few weeks ago and it was awesome. Now she’s back with another one, so think about these questions and give your answers in the Comments.
What would you do if . . .
- It rained money?
- Your math teacher turned into a werewolf in front of you?
- Aliens came to Earth just to see you sing in front of your bedroom mirror?
- You ate 20 gallons of ice cream in a contest and you LOST?
- You went to school and it turned out to be a holiday and you didn’t know that?
- You got horribly pranked by your best friend and worst enemy TOGETHER?
These are awesome questions, right? Send a shout-out on AquaLadybug7′s profile, and visit her on the Reading Buzz Board.
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
July 4, 2014
Happy 4th of July to all my American friends! Hope you have a fun day of patriotic parades, picnics, and fireworks.
This Independence Day doggie is celebrating the Fourth in style! What do you think she would say if she could talk?
Image credit: Randy Robertson
Leave your caption in the Comments!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
June 30, 2014
Writing Prompt: Problems only readers would understand . . .
- Problem #1: You’re on a long car trip and you just finished your book. There’s 1 more hour until you get there and you have nothing to read!
- Problem #2: You’ve been waiting forever for the sequel of your favorite book to come out. It finally does . . . on a SCHOOL day!
- Problem #3: Your mom returned a gripping, thrilling, totally awesome book to the library . . . before you finished the last chapter!
These, fellow Ink Splotters, are problems only a book lover would understand. You know what I mean, right? Well, we want to hear your problems . . . that only a fellow book lover would understand.
Leave your problems caused by book obsession in the Comments below!
Ratha, STACKS Writer
June 26, 2014
Find some new friends on the STACKS!
Check out the Q&A below and answer all (or some) of the questions from ForestWolf9!
- What’s your favorite snack?
- How long have you been on the STACKS?
- What are your hobbies?
- Have you been to a different country (or countries)? Which ones?
- What are your favorite books?
- What are your favorite movies?
- What’s your favorite funny TV ad?
- Have you ever tried to act like your favorite character from your favorite book/movie (copied his or her hair or makeup or stole his or her catchphrase)?
That’s it for today! Ta-ta!
PS. Get to know more STACKers on the STACK Back Message Board.
June 23, 2014
Create a Caption for Dutchie the Puppy!
Dutchie may look like a lovable, innocent little pup but don’t let that fool you! He may be adorable but he has a bad side too! Would you just look at those blankets? How can a doggy so small make such a huge mess?
What do you think Dutchie is saying? Write YOUR own caption in the Comments!
Amanda, STACKS Intern
June 16, 2014
What’s your expertise?
Maybe you are a computer coding genius. Maybe you paint the best fingernail designs in your school. Maybe you make better cupcakes than Martha Stewart, can play Minecraft in your sleep, write poetry like nobody’s business . . . or have a talent no one would have ever expected. Or maybe you do something pretty ordinary … with a totally extraordinary twist!
For today’s Writing Prompt, we’ve gotta know:
Let’s see how many cool, crazy, funny, interesting answers we get. Leave your “expertise” in the Comments below!
— Ratha, STACKS Writer