June 20, 2016
Create a Caption for Smarty Kiss Puppy!
Aww! This puppy looks like he just woke up from a nap! What would you say he might be thinking?
Here’s my caption: “I was having the best dream. There were doggy bones everywhere and I could dig all the holes in the yard that I wanted!”
Write YOUR caption in the Comments below!
Megan, STACKS Intern
June 6, 2016
Are you obsessed with Minecraft? Can you spend hours creating your world and visiting your friends’ worlds? Do you eat, sleep, and breathe Minecraft? When you get tired of playing, do you switch over to watching videos of other people playing Minecraft? If so, this is for you. Read on to see if you DIG:
10 Problems Only Minecraft Fans Understand!
- When a zombie kills your dog (or cat or bunny or horse).
- Your game glitches and you accidentally die.
- You build a fireplace in your house . . . and your house accidentally catches fire.
- You can’t decide who is better: Stampy Cat or Dan TDM. It is TOO HARD to decide.
- When your sister plays your game and changes/damages/erases your world. Not cool.
- Lava. It’s bad news.
- You are constantly searching online how to build cool stuff like ender portals, pirate ships, mob traps, real stuff like the Empire State Building or Titanic . . . the list goes on and on.
- You can’t stop blowing stuff up with TNT.
- You have nightmares about a chicken jockey (a baby zombie riding on a chicken) attacking you.
- You have nightmares about not being able to play Minecraft.
Are you a Minecrafter? Let us know your problems only fellow Minecraft fans would understand – in the Comments below!
May 30, 2016
If Your User Name Came to Life . . .
Today’s blog post comes from PurpleFairy1862 who asks, “What happened when your user name came alive?”
Here is her answer: 1,862 purple fairies are trying to kill me by using a magical spell while I am in a trap.
What would happen if YOUR user name came to life? Go to the STACK Back Message Board and leave your answer for your own user name. If you don’t have a user name, it’s easy to get one — and free! Sign up now.
May 24, 2016
Flickr photo by Yoppy
Do you wear eyeglasses? Or maybe you need glasses, but you have a habit of “forgetting” to put them on? If you’re nearsighted, this one’s for you. Get ready to take a closer look at . . .
- Bangs + Glasses = Drama. The constant fight with your bangs and glasses leaves you with greasy hair, an itchy face, and no patience.
- Swimming without your glasses. If you lose sight of your friends at the pool, you might not find them again for an hour.
- Waking up and trying to find your glasses so you can see. It’s even worse at a sleepover!
- Before you got glasses, you never saw individual blades of grass or leaves on trees. Amazing.
- Forgetting your glasses in your desk at school. Again.
- Squinting. Lots of it.
- The “3” looked like an “8.” It REALLY did.
- As hard as you try, you just can’t get those splotches off of your glasses from this morning’s hair stylizing.
- Protective sports goggles. Is there anything more awkward?
- You can’t wear your trendy headbands with your glasses. Noooooo!
And there you have it. Are you nearsighted? Share your dramas in the Comments below!
May 17, 2016
This scrumptious-looking pancake is begging me to eat it! Or . . . is it saying something else?
This will keep you from going bananas!
Leave YOUR caption for Pancake Face in the Comments!
Alex, Scholastic Kids Council
May 3, 2016
Do you play an instrument? Are you one of those fabulously talented people who can transform an empty room into an instant dance party? Well, we know it’s not easy being awesome, so this Top Ten List is for you! We’ve compiled a list of top 10 problems only people who play an instrument understand.
- Spit valves and emptying your spit. (Eww).
- What to wear to the band concert.
- Messing up your solo at the band concert!
- Your saxophone, backpack, and athletic gear take up an ENTIRE school bus seat.
- Saying this to your friends: “I can’t come over today. I have to practice.”
- Short nails (sorry violin players).
- When you have to rehearse a song that you hate over and over and over . . . and over again.
- A broken string at the worst possible time.
- When your little brother “practices” on your trumpet.
- Demands to perform at every family gathering.
What about you guys? Do you play an instrument? Let us know some of YOUR problems in the Comments below!
April 25, 2016
Aww, poor baby!
Hi there, cutie! This dog has broken her leg, but she still seems like she’s going places! What would you say she is thinking?
Here’s my caption: “Will you sign my cast? I got it in my favorite color – pink!”
Write YOUR caption in the Comments below!
April 22, 2016
5 Ways for Boys to Add Style to an Outfit
Fashion isn’t just for the girls. While women have an assortment of accessories and jewelry to choose from, boys have tons of ways to add some style their outfits.
1. Colorful shoes
Don’t let your shoes be an afterthought. Find a pair of sneakers with a crazy pattern or with bright colors that will help you stand out in a crowd.
T-shirts are fun and can say a lot about a person, but you can add flair to an outfit with a hoodie. Find a cool zip-up sweatshirt that complements your t-shirts. If you wear it unzipped, people can still see the cool design on your t-shirt and the hoodie adds another dimension to your outfit.
Sunglasses are perfect for any outfit. If you slip on a pair of aviators, you look like a cool fighter pilot ready for a mission. If you put on a sleek pair of black shades, you can master the mysterious and cool look. Or find a colorful pair of sunglasses and you look ready to party.
If it’s cold outside, scarves are the perfect accessory to keep your neck warm. But they’re also super-fashionable. Just ask Harry Potter, who wore his Gryffindor scarf everywhere.
Wearing a pin is a great way to express your personality. Find a cool pin that represents something about yourself and fasten it to your shirt. Hey, if Katniss Everdeen can pull off a pin, why can’t you?
So there you have it, 5 fun ways to spice up an outfit. So, how do you keep yourself looking fashionable? tell us in the Comments.
April 21, 2016
Is Bigfoot Real?
I hate when I can’t find the remote for the television, so I can only image what it’s like hunting for Bigfoot. Also known as Sasquatch, Bigfoot is a hairy, ape-like creature that is believed to live in northwestern United States, but no one has ever confirmed its existence.
Bigfoot entered pop culture in 1951, when Eric Shipton photographed a giant footprint. The myth grew even larger when residents of California continued to find abnormally large tracks in 1958. The manhunt for the creature was launched at Bluff Creek, California to find the source of the tracks, and a legend was born.
Over the years, people have reported more Bigfoot sightings. In 1967, Roger Patterson and Robert Gimlin claimed they captured Bigfoot on film, but many years later, a close friend admitted he wore a costume to fake the sighting.
Rick Jacobs thought he captured a photo of Bigfoot using an automatically triggered camera, but park rangers later identified the creature in the photo as a sick bear.
Unfortunately, scientists proved many of the sightings to be hoaxes. After the death of Ray Wallace, his children came forward with a 16-inch wooden foot their father used to fake those California Bigfoot tracks in 1958. Scientists also believe other sightings occurred when people mistook bears and chimpanzees for Bigfoot.
Although scientists have disproved all supposed Bigfoot sightings, believers continue to search for the elusive Sasquatch. So, do you believe in the legend of Bigfoot, or is Sasquatch just a hoax? Tell us in the Comments!
April 12, 2016
What Is Reverse Graffiti?
You have probably seen traditional graffiti where artists use spray paint to draw a picture or write words on a public space. Reverse graffiti is a method of creating temporary images by removing dirt from a space. You know how you can use your finger to write “Wash me” on a dirty window? That’s reverse graffiti, and some artists have taken it to a whole other level by using a cloth or a power washer to remove dirt on a larger scale and create some incredible artwork.
Because reverse graffiti is temporary, biodegradable, and no toxic ink or paints are used to create it, reverse graffiti is considered more environmentally friendly than spray paint graffiti. Although, that is debatable especially if the artist uses chemical cleaners to create the image. It may also be a waste of water since it takes a lot of water to clean off the dirt.
Spray paint graffiti is considered vandalism, and is definitely illegal if you don’t have permission, but it’s not clear whether reverse graffiti is illegal. Is it vandalism to clean a wall? Some people think so, especially if they don’t like the image created on the wall.
While there are still environmental and legal questions about reverse graffiti, there is no question that some of the artwork being created is amazing! What do you think of reverse graffiti? Tell us in the Comments.
Flickr photo by KylaBorg