August 22, 2016
They make up less than 10% of the population. They are more prone to allergies. They are more likely to be a male than female. And their nails grow faster on their left hands than on their right! Who are they? Clap your left AND left hands together for … left-handers.
But wait, being a lefty is not all rainbows and unicorns. There are some problems righties will never know about. That’s why we’d now like to bring your attention to …
10 Problems Only Left Handed People Understand
10. You have to carefully plan which hand to extend when shaking hands.
9. Video game controllers drive you crazy.
8. It’s hard to find a left-handed baseball glove.
7. Spiral notebooks always poke you.
6. The mouse in your computer lab is always on the right.
5. You’re the only one in your family. Sniff sniff.
4. Scissors are tricky.
3. You get tired of hearing, “What? You’re a lefty?”
2. Markers and pencils smudge when you write.
1. Your left hand is covered with those smudges!
And there you have it. Are you left-handed? Share your trials and tribulations in the Comments below!
August 11, 2016
This Blog Post Is Sponsored by STORKS.
One unexpected surprise. One giant adventure.
The animated adventure STORKS (rated PG) is in theatres nationwide on September 23 —fly on over and check out the movie trailer.
The STORKS Movie Baby Name Game!
Storks deliver babies…or at least they used to. Now they deliver packages for a global internet retail giant in the movie STORKS. Junior is the company’s top delivery stork, and he’s about to be promoted when he accidentally activates the Baby Making Machine, producing an adorable and wholly unauthorized baby girl. Desperate to deliver this bundle of trouble before the boss gets wise, Junior and his friend Tulip, the only human on Stork Mountain, race to make their first-ever baby drop – in a wild and revealing journey that could make more than one family whole and restore the storks’ true mission in the world.
Are they up to the challenge? Are you? What name would you give the STORKS movie baby? Leave your ideas for the STORKS baby name in the Comments!
August 9, 2016
Are you obsessed with the book you are reading now? Have you ever been unable put down a book because you are so totally completely lost in your book? If so, this one’s for you!
10 Problems Only Obsessed Readers Understand
10. Dripping food on your book because you MUST eat dinner and read simultaneously.
9. Staying up WAY past your bedtime to finish One. Last. Chapter.
8. That terrible feeling you get when you are on a car trip – you arrive at your destination – and you have to put your book down!
7. That sad, sad feeling when you know the end of your book is near.
6. Stressing out over lending your favorite books to your friends. What if they don’t give them back?!
5. Fan fiction. To read or not to read?
4. The pressure to like “the other” books in the series, even if you really only liked the first.
3. Are they going to make a movie of that book? Will it ever live up? Yes! No! Too stressful!
2. You started naming your pets after your favorite characters.
1. Getting in trouble for reading during class. You know it’s bad when even your teachers want you to stop reading!
Are you an obsessed reader? Let us know what problems YOU’VE run into in the Comments below!
Image courtesy Portland Button Works
August 8, 2016
Hey! This dog is rocking a fun haircut while out on the town for a walk! What would you say he is thinking?
Here’s my caption: “I wish my owner had brought more hair gel. I see some other dogs I want to impress!”
Write YOUR caption in the Comments below!
Megan, STACKS Intern
August 1, 2016
Are you a twin? Sometimes you may love it, and sometimes not so much. But there are certain things in life only you and your other half can truly ever understand. Therefore the following list is devoted to you, my twin friends.
10 Things Only Twins Understand
Photo courtesy Warner Bros.
- You know exactly what your twin is thinking you can finish your twin’s sentences.
- Being jealous of your twin’s other friends.
- Matching clothes. Rhyming names. You either love ‘em or hate ‘em.
- Having to share everything.
- You wave back to random people who think you are your twin.
- The Competition. In. Everything.
- People think you have the same personality just because you look the same.
- You’re going to go crazy if another person asks you, “Who’s the good twin?”
- Your teachers can never tell you apart.
- Even if you fight, you know you’ll love your twin forever.
Do you have a partner in crime – a.k.a. twin? Let us know your feelings in the comments below.
July 26, 2016
Pack Up! Hiking and Camping Name Generator
People who hike the Appalachian Trail come up with fake names for themselves so they don’t reveal their real names to strangers they meet on the Trail. Wish you had your own outdoorsy, fake name? You can make one with our HIKING AND CAMPING NAME GENERATOR!
Find the first letter of your first name in the left column below, and the word next to it is your new first name. Then find the first letter of your last name in the right column below, and the word next to it is your new last name. So if your name is, say . . . Abercrombie Fitch, your new hiking name is Bear-Poop Mosquito.
Ready to become that cool, outdoorsy hiking and camping person? Go!
||First Letter of First Name
||First Letter of Last Name
||First Aid Kit
What’s your Hiking and Camping Name? Tell us in the Comments below!
-Ratha (a.k.a Blaze Crickets)
July 25, 2016
Create a caption for this glorious goldfish!
Leah from the Scholastic Kids Council sent this wonderful picture of her pet goldfish in all its glorious goldishness!
What do you think this fish is trying to say?
July 20, 2016
Have you read all 10 Diary of a Wimpy Kid books? Are you eagerly awaiting the release of Book #11 Double Down coming out November 1, 2016? If so, we’ve got just the thing to get you through. Check out our Top 10 list of…
10 Things Only Wimpy Kid Fans Understand
10. You will never eat a slice of deli cheese again.
9. When your mom asks you to change your baby sister/brother’s diaper you start singing the “Exploded Diaper” song.
8. Other people’s parents try to talk to them while on the toilet, too?
7. Why taking a “shower” at camp with baby wipes… is actually a pretty good solution.
6. Why wearing your older brother or sister’s hand-me-down underwear is a problem.
5. Silas Scratch.
4. The difference between a purse and an embroidered book bag.
3. That scary moment when you have to stop going to the kiddie dentist … and start the adult dentist.
2. When you take a picture of somebody’s bent inside-of-the-elbow, but your photography teacher thinks it is somebody’s butt (and of course you get in trouble).
1. “I’ll be famous one day, but for now I’m stuck in middle school with a bunch of morons.”
Are you a huge Diary of a Wimpy Kid fan? Let us know in the Comments below!
July 12, 2016
If you are sometimes shy, enjoy quiet time to just think, and like to be by yourself a lot, you may be an introvert. Almost one half of the population is introverted but when you’re an introvert, it can feel like the whole world is a giant, non-stop noise box. Your strength is in listening and being sensitive to other people, but because you don’t blab about how great you are, people don’t always recognize your quiet awesomeness. (Personally, I think we ALL have a little bit of introvert in us!) Take a look and see if you can relate to:
10 Problems Only Introverts Understand
- An oral presentation or even just answering a question in class is sometimes scary.
- You would rather eat lunch in the library or in a classroom with a small group of friends than in the loud lunchroom.
- You prefer writing or drawing to talking sometimes.
- After spending a few hours in a noisy group of friends or family, you need to be quiet by yourself for a little while.
- You practice conversations in your head, so the real ones aren’t so terrifying.
- You want to do homework or read during your after-school play date – but your friend wants to talk and talk and talk. And talk.
- Having conversations with grownups. It’s bad.
- People keep asking you, “Are you ok?” or “Why are you so quiet?”
- You wish you had noise-cancelling headphones when riding the school bus.
- You are the best listener you know but people don’t always listen to you.
If you can relate to these problems, then you might be an introvert. Leave a Comment to let us know what’s going on inside your mind!
July 11, 2016
There is a famous poem by Robert Frost called “The Road Not Taken.” Here is a quote:
“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –
I took the one less traveled by,”
Many people interpret the poem to mean that if you see 2 paths, you should take the less common path because it might lead you to new adventures that you would not experience if you just follow the same road as everyone else. You know, be original and follow your own dreams, not someone else’s.
William has a different idea, though. He just wants to take the shortest road. Maybe there is some pizza waiting at the end of his road, or something.
What about you? What road will YOU take? Write your ending to this sentence :
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I . . .
Leave your answers in the Comments!