July 26, 2016
Pack Up! Hiking and Camping Name Generator
People who hike the Appalachian Trail come up with fake names for themselves so they don’t reveal their real names to strangers they meet on the Trail. Wish you had your own outdoorsy, fake name? You can make one with our HIKING AND CAMPING NAME GENERATOR!
Find the first letter of your first name in the left column below, and the word next to it is your new first name. Then find the first letter of your last name in the right column below, and the word next to it is your new last name. So if your name is, say . . . Abercrombie Fitch, your new hiking name is Bear-Poop Mosquito.
Ready to become that cool, outdoorsy hiking and camping person? Go!
||First Letter of First Name
||First Letter of Last Name
||First Aid Kit
What’s your Hiking and Camping Name? Tell us in the Comments below!
-Ratha (a.k.a Blaze Crickets)
July 25, 2016
Create a caption for this glorious goldfish!
Leah from the Scholastic Kids Council sent this wonderful picture of her pet goldfish in all its glorious goldishness!
What do you think this fish is trying to say?
July 20, 2016
Have you read all 10 Diary of a Wimpy Kid books? Are you eagerly awaiting the release of Book #11 Double Down coming out November 1, 2016? If so, we’ve got just the thing to get you through. Check out our Top 10 list of…
10 Things Only Wimpy Kid Fans Understand
10. You will never eat a slice of deli cheese again.
9. When your mom asks you to change your baby sister/brother’s diaper you start singing the “Exploded Diaper” song.
8. Other people’s parents try to talk to them while on the toilet, too?
7. Why taking a “shower” at camp with baby wipes… is actually a pretty good solution.
6. Why wearing your older brother or sister’s hand-me-down underwear is a problem.
5. Silas Scratch.
4. The difference between a purse and an embroidered book bag.
3. That scary moment when you have to stop going to the kiddie dentist … and start the adult dentist.
2. When you take a picture of somebody’s bent inside-of-the-elbow, but your photography teacher thinks it is somebody’s butt (and of course you get in trouble).
1. “I’ll be famous one day, but for now I’m stuck in middle school with a bunch of morons.”
Are you a huge Diary of a Wimpy Kid fan? Let us know in the Comments below!
July 12, 2016
If you are sometimes shy, enjoy quiet time to just think, and like to be by yourself a lot, you may be an introvert. Almost one half of the population is introverted but when you’re an introvert, it can feel like the whole world is a giant, non-stop noise box. Your strength is in listening and being sensitive to other people, but because you don’t blab about how great you are, people don’t always recognize your quiet awesomeness. (Personally, I think we ALL have a little bit of introvert in us!) Take a look and see if you can relate to:
10 Problems Only Introverts Understand
- An oral presentation or even just answering a question in class is sometimes scary.
- You would rather eat lunch in the library or in a classroom with a small group of friends than in the loud lunchroom.
- You prefer writing or drawing to talking sometimes.
- After spending a few hours in a noisy group of friends or family, you need to be quiet by yourself for a little while.
- You practice conversations in your head, so the real ones aren’t so terrifying.
- You want to do homework or read during your after-school play date – but your friend wants to talk and talk and talk. And talk.
- Having conversations with grownups. It’s bad.
- People keep asking you, “Are you ok?” or “Why are you so quiet?”
- You wish you had noise-cancelling headphones when riding the school bus.
- You are the best listener you know but people don’t always listen to you.
If you can relate to these problems, then you might be an introvert. Leave a Comment to let us know what’s going on inside your mind!
July 11, 2016
There is a famous poem by Robert Frost called “The Road Not Taken.” Here is a quote:
“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –
I took the one less traveled by,”
Many people interpret the poem to mean that if you see 2 paths, you should take the less common path because it might lead you to new adventures that you would not experience if you just follow the same road as everyone else. You know, be original and follow your own dreams, not someone else’s.
William has a different idea, though. He just wants to take the shortest road. Maybe there is some pizza waiting at the end of his road, or something.
What about you? What road will YOU take? Write your ending to this sentence :
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I . . .
Leave your answers in the Comments!
June 20, 2016
Create a Caption for Smarty Kiss Puppy!
Grr! This puppy looks like he just woke up from a nap! What would you say he might be thinking?
Here’s my caption: “I was having the best dream, there were doggy bones everywhere and I could dig all the holes in the yard that I wanted!”
Write YOUR caption in the Comments below!
Megan, STACKS Intern
June 6, 2016
Are you obsessed with Minecraft? Can you spend hours creating your world and visiting your friends’ worlds? Do you eat, sleep, and breathe Minecraft? When you get tired of playing, do you switch over to watching videos of other people playing Minecraft? If so, this is for you. Read on to see if you DIG:
10 Problems Only Minecraft Fans Understand!
- When a zombie kills your dog (or cat or bunny or horse).
- Your game glitches and you accidentally die.
- You build a fireplace in your house . . . and your house accidentally catches fire.
- You can’t decide who is better: Stampy Cat or Dan TDM. It is TOO HARD to decide.
- When your sister plays your game and changes/damages/erases your world. Not cool.
- Lava. It’s bad news.
- You are constantly searching online how to build cool stuff like ender portals, pirate ships, mob traps, real stuff like the Empire State Building or Titanic . . . the list goes on and on.
- You can’t stop blowing stuff up with TNT.
- You have nightmares about a chicken jockey (a baby zombie riding on a chicken) attacking you.
- You have nightmares about not being able to play Minecraft.
Are you a Minecrafter? Let us know your problems only fellow Minecraft fans would understand – in the Comments below!
May 30, 2016
If Your User Name Came to Life . . .
Today’s blog post comes from PurpleFairy1862 who asks, “What happened when your user name came alive?”
Here is her answer: 1,862 purple fairies are trying to kill me by using a magical spell while I am in a trap.
What would happen if YOUR user name came to life? Go to the STACK Back Message Board and leave your answer for your own user name. If you don’t have a user name, it’s easy to get one — and free! Sign up now.
May 24, 2016
Flickr photo by Yoppy
Do you wear eyeglasses? Or maybe you need glasses, but you have a habit of “forgetting” to put them on? If you’re nearsighted, this one’s for you. Get ready to take a closer look at . . .
- Bangs + Glasses = Drama. The constant fight with your bangs and glasses leaves you with greasy hair, an itchy face, and no patience.
- Swimming without your glasses. If you lose sight of your friends at the pool, you might not find them again for an hour.
- Waking up and trying to find your glasses so you can see. It’s even worse at a sleepover!
- Before you got glasses, you never saw individual blades of grass or leaves on trees. Amazing.
- Forgetting your glasses in your desk at school. Again.
- Squinting. Lots of it.
- The “3” looked like an “8.” It REALLY did.
- As hard as you try, you just can’t get those splotches off of your glasses from this morning’s hair stylizing.
- Protective sports goggles. Is there anything more awkward?
- You can’t wear your trendy headbands with your glasses. Noooooo!
And there you have it. Are you nearsighted? Share your dramas in the Comments below!
May 17, 2016
This scrumptious-looking pancake is begging me to eat it! Or . . . is it saying something else?
This will keep you from going bananas!
Leave YOUR caption for Pancake Face in the Comments!
Alex, Scholastic Kids Council