October 6, 2015
Haunted House Word Find From CrestBlue50
How many words can you spell using the letter in the words, Haunted House? Make sure the words are 3 or more letters or they don’t count. Here are 2 words to get you started. Leave your other words in the Comments!
H A U N T E D H O U S E
October 5, 2015
Today’s Book Quiz comes from Moderator Katie on the Reading Buzz Board.
- >What’s your all-time favorite book?
- What’s a book you liked that turned into a movie? Which was better?
- What is your favorite series? What is your favorite book within the series?
- Who’s your favorite author?
- Do you happen to enjoy dark, spooky, or supernatural stories?
- Do you like reading manga or graphic novels?
- Do you like to read books about other cultures? What about other historical times?
- If you could go to lunch with any author, who would it be and what would you like to talk about
- Have you read a book in another language besides English? Did you enjoy the book or books you read
- What type of books (genre!) do you most like to read?
- What is your favorite literary element? For example, simile, metaphor, irony, foreshadowing, personification, figurative language, or even forms of poetry can count here….
- Are there any books you’d like to suggest?
- Are you in a book club? If yes, which books have you read in it?
- What is your favorite childhood book (picture book)?
- If you could turn any book into a movie, which book would it be? Which actors would play which characters?
- If you could change the ending of ANY book, which book would it be and what would the new ending be? Please start your answers with the book title so STACKers can decide if they want to read your answer/spoiler or not!
- Has any book every evoked really strong emotions in you? For example, has any book made you REALLY sad or angry, or empathetic, etc.? Which book and which emotion?
- Have you ever read a book that you thought you’d love but ended up not liking? What about the reverse?
- Estimate the number of books you’ve read in the last 12 months.
- You won a $500 book gift card. What are you going to buy with it?
Have fun! Thanks to these STACKers who helped me come up with the questions: GopherChess4, BreezeBrain39, DarkRising6, BastKitten37, and ChorusArtistic19.
Leave your answers to one or all of these questions on the Comments!
September 21, 2015
Virtual Cupcake Creation
DesertChief19 decided to make up a contest! The contest is about virtual cupcakes because who doesn’t like virtual cupcakes?
- Cupcake Flavor:
- Frosting Color:
- Frosting Flavor:
- Any Toppings:
- Anything Else:
Cupcake Flavor: vanilla
Frosting Color: white
Frosting Flavor: vanilla
Any Toppings: rainbow sprinkles
Anything Else: chocolate inside of cake
Create your own virtual cupcake and leave it in the Comments. If you want to actually send your virtual cupcakes to your friends, you can do that on the Allie Finkle website, and on the Confectionately Yours website!
September 14, 2015
Rojo Dog Create a Caption
Woof! Rojo seems like one happy pup, enjoying some time outside! What would you say he is thinking?
Here’s my caption: “I’m so happy to see you, I’m going to give you a million slobbery dog kisses!”
Write YOUR caption in the Comments below!
Megan, STACKS Intern
September 7, 2015
What’s Your Minecraft Name?
We know you guys looove Minecraft. (The last Ink Splot 26 Minecraft blog post got almost 500 Comments!) But since we’re living in the real world, and not a Minecraft world, we figured it would be fun to create a Minecraft name generator to give you an alternate reality Minecraft name.
Don’t worry if you’re new to our name generators. It’s as easy as putting a block down. Find the first initial of your first name in the list below. That word is your Minecraft first name. Then find the month of your birthday. That word is your Minecraft last name. For example, my name begins with an R and my birthday is in July, so my Minecraft name is Poisonous Potato Creeper. Continue reading
August 31, 2015
Hippolyte posted this awesome-tastic challenge for you on the Fan Fiction Message Board!
So! This is a thing I saw in a STACKS Message Board a LONG time ago and though I’ve never participated myself, I figured it’s high time someone brings a new writing challenge. Here’s the deal:
You are to write a drabble inspired by the first song that comes up on shuffle. Grab your phones/ipods/mp3s/playlists or anything you have with music stored in it and a shuffle option, and enable said option. Your task is to write a short story (fan fiction or original) inspired by the song, for as long as the song is playing. Once the song is over, you stop writing and completely leave it be.
- You may skip songs in case you can’t get inspired, but don’t be too picky or you’ll just be shuffling forever.
- You must skip any songs that are inappropriate either because of language or content. Any song that receives a rating beyond PG 13 according to your judgment should better be avoided. We trust your judgment.
- In case you feel that a song with questionable content is still appropriate enough for this board, please mention all warnings that apply. Your story has to be 100% appropriate for all people on this boards. (As Moderator Katie says, don’t write something you wouldn’t say to a 7/8-year-old.)
- Your drabble can be a fan fiction or an original one. No preferences, but in case of fan fiction, make sure that the fandom you’re writing for is appropriate for younger kids on STACKS (PG 13 at most).
- “Completely leave it be” is just that. Don’t correct anything. Don’t play the song again. Don’t touch it; it’s already a masterpiece.
- Stories are expected to be short. Just brainstorm something and leave it in its raw beauty for the world to see.
- Of course, you’re never obliged to post what you just wrote if you don’t want to. We’re only doing this for fun.
I hope everyone has fun! I also hope you’re not weak enough to decline the challenge. Mwahaha!
So leave your song title and artist in the Comments, and then go to the Fan Fiction Message Board to share your whole story.
August 25, 2015
Epic Character Questions Quiz
PurpleFashionista86 posted these questions on the Harry Potter Message Board but they could also apply to any characters in any book series.
- Who is your favorite character?
- Which character would you go on a date with?
- If you were away, what character would take care of your pet for you?
- What character would you like to live with?
- What character would be your best friend?
- If you could take a character camping who would it be?
- If you had the choice to go anywhere with a character, what place would you go, and whom would you go with?
- If you could be a character, which one would it be?
- Which character would you want in your dorm?
Leave YOUR answers in the Comments!
August 24, 2015
Write A Back-to-School Poem With Our Back-to-School Poetry Generator!
It’s that time again. Back. To. School. To get you in the back-to-school zone, for today’s Writing Prompt, your “homework” is to take the 25 words below and generate your own poem. The poems you guys came up with for the Spring Poetry Generator totally gave us spring fever!
You can add articles (little words like “a”, and “the”), verbs, or anything that will help it flow, but try to include as many of these 25 words as you can in your poem. Any style of poem works – rhyming, non-rhyming, couplet, haiku, free-form, or even random. It’s up to you!
- 7 am
- pencil sharpener
Leave your poem in the Comments. We can’t wait to take a lesson . . . from YOU!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
August 10, 2015
Fatboy Dog Create a Caption
Woof! Woof! This dog’s name is Fatboy and he seems like he might have gotten into some trouble! What would you say he might be thinking?
Here’s my caption:
“I thought any food that fell off of your plate was mine!”
Write YOUR caption in the Comments below!
Megan, STACKS Intern
August 3, 2015
Writing Prompt: Do you give up on bad books?
You expect a book to be totally amazing, and you eagerly tear into the first few chapters only to discover . . . the book is utterly disappointing!!! Reader reject!
Either it’s completely boring, or not what you expected, or it started off great but now it can’t seem to hold your interest. What do you do? We want to know for today’s Writing Prompt . . .
Do you give up on bad books . . . or do you finish every book you start?
Bare your soul and tell us about your rejected reads in the Comments below!
- Ratha, STACKS Writer