February 10, 2016
Best Luna Lovegood Quotes
Since her first appearance in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Luna Lovegood has been one of my favorite characters in the Harry Potter series. She’s super-smart but kind of spacey, and has a very unusual sense of style. I’d like to imagine that if I went to Hogwarts, Luna and I would be BFFs. She’s really rad! Unfortunately, a lot of her peers (*cough, cough* Ron!) were quick to judge her for her strangeness, but eventually everyone came to realize how special and brave she really is. So just in time for Luna’s birthday on February 13, we’re bringing you our top ten Luna Lovegood quotes.
- ”I’ve been able to see them ever since my first year here. Don’t worry. You’re just as sane as I am.” (Order of the Phoenix)
- “You can laugh! But people used to believe there were no such things as the Blibbering Humdinger or Crumple-Horned Snorkack!” (Order of the Phoenix)
- “Mistletoe,” said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry’s head. He jumped out from under it. “Good thinking,” said Luna very seriously. “It’s often infested with nargles.” (Order of the Phoenix)
- “I think they think I’m a bit odd, you know. Some people call me ‘Loony’ Lovegood, actually.” (Order of the Phoenix)
- “When you say ‘Sirius,’ are you talking about Stubby Boardman?” (Order of the Phoenix)
- “Oh, no, I’d love to go with you as friends! Nobody’s ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine too? (Half Blood Prince)
- “I don’t think you should be an Auror, Harry. The Aurors are a part of the Rotfang Conspiracy. I thought everyone knew that. They’re working from within to bring down the Ministry of Magic using a combination of Dark Magic and gum disease.” (Half Blood Prince)
- “I’ve never been to this part of the castle. Well, not awake. I sleepwalk, you see. That’s why I wear shoes to bed.” (Half Blood Prince)
- “Hello, Harry! Oh, I’ve interrupted a deep thought, haven’t I? I can see it growing smaller in your eyes.” (Deathly Hallows)
- “Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger! (Deathly Hallows)
Oh, Luna! There is no one quite like her. Here’s to you, Loony Lovegood! Happy Birthday! Do YOU have any other favorite quotes or moments from Luna? Share your thoughts in the Comments!
February 8, 2016
Write a Valentine’s Day Poem!
It’s almost Valentine’s Day! If you want a quick gift idea that is thoughtful and creative, then here’s a little activity you can try. Write a poem!
Here are three types of poems with instructions how to write them. You pick the type of poem you like best and write one for someone you care about. It could be for a family member, a friend, or even a secret crush . . . shhh! Don’t worry! I won’t tell. Continue reading
January 26, 2016
10 Problems Only People With Braces Understand
Yes, I know it’s hard to believe (and believe me, I’d much rather forget!), but I used to be a brace-face. Those were the longest years of my LIFE. Braces are uncomfortable, painful, awkward, and so annoying. I was so excited when I finally got mine off! To show sympathy and solidarity for those of you currently experiencing the struggle, I’m bringing you a list of Ten Problems Only People With Braces Understand:
- Apples are the enemy. Apple skins are the WORST.
- Flossing takes FOREVER! It’s practically the next day when you finally finish!
- You’re always nervous about smiling because you never know what food might be stuck in there.
- Getting them tightened HURTS A LOT!
- Switching out band colors is cool, but you’re stuck with that color for a whole month. Who wants to wear the same color ANYTHING for that long?
- After eating a sandwich, at least 45% of the sandwich is stuck in your braces.
- No gum, caramel, or hard candy! Like I said . . . those were the LONGEST years of my life!
- Getting scratched and cut by stray wires on the inside of your mouth—ouch!
- That awful feeling when the orthodontist tells you it’s going to take longer to be braces-free than you were initially told. (Absolutely devastating.)
- Finally getting your braces off, but then wearing a retainer for what feels like the rest of forever.
Oh yes, the braces struggle is very, very real! Do you, or did you, wear braces? Are you going to need braces soon? Share your thoughts in the Comments below!
Yours in pain,
January 25, 2016
Create a Caption for Rocky the Dog!
Hey there, dog lovers! This dog looks like he’s relaxing at home after a long day! What would you say he is thinking?
Here’s my caption: “Can we just stay in and snuggle now? I’m exhausted from chasing my tail all day, and I never even caught it!”
Write YOUR caption in the Comments below!
Megan, STACKS Intern
January 19, 2016
Problems Only Dog Lovers Understand
Do you have a dog? Or just love dogs in general? Then you know there are some problems that non-dog people just don’t get. Can you relate to any of these problems that only dog lovers understand?
- You toss food on the floor of restaurants because you forget your dog isn’t there to eat your leftovers.
- You have enough hair all over your bed to make an entire wig.
- When someone yells, “Fetch!” you look around for flying balls.
- Your windows are always smudgy from your dog’s nose prints.
- There’s a giant drool spot on the couch where you were about to sit.
- Those sad, sad puppy eyes break your heart every morning when you have to leave for school.
- It is sometimes embarrassing when friends come over and your dog acts INSANE!
- Your foot is asleep right now because your dog is sitting on it and won’t get up!
- You have to hide your favorite shoes because your dog thinks they are chew toys.
- It is minus 20 degrees out and you have to go walk your dog in the snow. Brrr!
Can you relate to any of these? Let us know YOUR problems that only other dog lovers would understand!
January 18, 2016
It is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
What is YOUR dream for the world? Tell us in the Comments and then create your own “I Have a Dream” poem to honor the legendary activist today.
January 11, 2016
Penguin Photobomb Create a Caption
It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s photobombing penguin! This was a peaceful winter scene until this camera-hogging penguin flew into the photo out of nowhere!
Create a caption to tell us what this penguin is saying as it flies through the winter air like that!
Photo submitted by Scholastic Kids Council member Grace.
December 29, 2015
Winter Break Boredom Buster Quiz
Hippolyte from the Reading Buzz Board has some questions for you in case you’re bored over winter break.
Hey you guys! I hope everyone’s doing great! :D I’ve been kinda bored so here’s a little quiz/survey thingy! It’s mostly just questions I thought were fun and I’d like to answer, but hopefully you guys will like them too!
So, here it goes.
- First off, what do you like people to call you on the STACKS?
- Which fictional character are you most like?
- What was the latest song you listened to?
- Latest movie you watched?
- Hmm, who is your celebrity crush at the moment? (Be honest; I can see right through you!)
- If you were the protagonist of a new story, which already existing fictional villain would you like to fight against as your antagonist?
- What are you listening to right now?
- What’s your favorite scent?
- If you absolutely HAD to change your hairstyle to something you’ve never done before, what style would you choose?
- What are some very popular and well-liked things that you dislike? (Feel free to vent, but I’d be disappointed if the majority of answers are just “One Direction“.)
- What is your reputation in your circle of friends/family? (e.g. Are you the “comic relief” friend, the “team mom”, the “family disappointment”, etc?)
- If you were president for a day, what 3 things would you change?
- If you HAD to travel back in time and live in a specific time and place in history, what would you choose?
- Tell us about the AWESOMEST dream you’ve had.
- Have you thought of baby names (or just some names you like anyway)?
- What cartoons and movies did you grow up watching?
- How would you describe your sense of humor?
- Which song has been stuck in your head lately?
- What’s your favorite article of clothing that you own? Give it a little description.
- If you had $500 to spend, but only for yourself, what would you buy?
- In which fictional world would you like to live?
- What language that you don’t already speak would you be interested in studying?
- What would you rather be, a superhero or wizard? (Try to think outside of particular works of fiction: e.g. not just a Harry Potter wizard, or a Marvel superhero.)
- Who is your favorite Disney princess?
- Animal companion?
- What’s your favorite snack?
Aaaaaaand it’s over! Have fun you guys! Leave your answers in the Comments and then hop over to the Reading Buzz Board and say, “Hi!”
December 21, 2015
You Know You’re Excited for the Holidays When . . .
The holidays are in full force right now: Salvation Army bells on every street, holiday music floating out from every store, window displays worth ooh-ing and aah-ing over . . . and chocolate, chocolate everywhere! The holiday spirit is infectious (as are the cold and flu, which are also floating around this time of year, so remember to wash your hands)! Have you caught the holiday bug? You know you’re excited for the holidays when . . .
- You have a holiday playlist blasting 24/7, and you’re still not sick of it.
- You’ve watched the movie Elf 5 times already since Halloween.
- You catch yourself singing along to “Winter Wonderland” at the mall.
- You are infected with the spirit of giving, and you can’t stop thinking of great gift ideas.
- You’ve broken down your wishlist into High Priority, Medium Priority, and Low Priority categories.
- You check your calendar every day and count down the days to Christmas (4 more days!).
- You drink hot chocolate with a candy cane every day after school. In fact, your diet is 5% peppermint-flavored candies, 5% real food, and 90% chocolate in any and every form.
- It is cookie o’clock every hour of the day.
- You gathered a bunch of empty boxes and old books and wrapped them in holiday paper so it looks like you have a big pile of presents in your room. You are actually drowning in wrapping paper and ribbon, and you have never been happier.
- You can’t stop wearing holiday-themed sweaters. You will NEVER stop wearing holiday-themed sweaters.
- You add cinnamon to everything. EVERYTHING!
- The sound of jingling bells makes you look up in the sky for reindeer.
- You have decorated your locker with glitter and paper cut-out snowflakes.
- You keep wishing for snow . . . even if it’s sunny at 75 outside.
Are you ready for the holidays? What are the things you do to get excited? Share in the Comments below!
Happy, happy, HAPPY holidays,
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
December 15, 2015
Create a Caption: Holiday Kitten
What do you think this playful Christmas kitten is saying all cozy in its Christmas stocking?
“Merry Christmas” Flickr photo by Bill and Vicki T
I think it is saying, “The stockings were hung by the chimney with care . . . until I jumped in and made Christmas way cuter!”
Leave YOUR captions in the Comments. Happy Holidays!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer