January 12, 2016
2016 Would You Rather
2016 is here! A time for new opportunities and new beginnings. Of course, a fresh start doesn’t always mean everything is going to be hunky-dory . . . and because we love the opportunity for a WOULD YOU RATHER, we are giving you an ultra-tough one for the new year! In the upcoming year, would you rather . . .
1. Make the sports team, but break your leg and spend the season on the bench OR make the sports team but lose every game of the season?
2. Find out your favorite celebrity couple is breaking up OR that your favorite musical group is breaking up? (I SEE YOU, ZAYN!)(I can forgive but never forget!)
3. Find out your crush likes you back, but is moving to another country OR find out that YOU are moving to another country?
4. Go on an epic summer vacation only to find out your worst enemy is also there OR show up at a school dance wearing the same outfit as your worst enemy?
5. Find out your favorite TV show is ending OR that the movie you’ve been looking forward to won’t be released for another year?
6. Have more rainy days than sunny days OR have snow half the year?
7. Outgrow all your favorite clothes OR have your computer crash?
8. Find out your favorite book is being turned into a movie, but the lead actor is not someone you would have picked OR find out a book you really disliked is being turned into a movie instead?
Whew! Those were tough ones. Share your answers in the Comments below, and let’s all hope that none of these horrible things happen to any of us in 2016!
Happy New Year!
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
December 1, 2015
Take a Bite Out of National Cookie Day!
Kicking off the holidays on December 4th, it’s National Cookie Day! Last year, you guys posted awesome ideas for the dream cookie you would make if you had to Invent the Most Amazing Cookie Ever.
This year, we’re heating up the oven for a battle of the cookies. Who do you think would win if these cookies went head to head?
1. Chocolate chip vs. Oatmeal raisin
2. Sugar cookie with mint sauce and chocolate (posted by Hannah) vs. Fruitcake cookie?
3. Chocolate fudge vs. Peanut butter fudge?
4. Chocolate, peanut butter, oatmeal, mocha cookie (posted by Zakuro) vs. Peanut butter and jelly cookie?
5. Fortune cookie vs. M&M brownie bar
6. Icing sprinkle layer cookie (posted by Elizabeth) vs. S’mores cookie
7. Oreo vs. Chips Ahoy?
8. Iced Christmas cookies vs. Cookie ice cream sandwich?
Let us know your winners, and any other favorite cookies, in the Comments below!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
November 27, 2015
Holiday Characters Who Would Win
IT’S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR! The holidays are upon us! In case you didn’t notice, I’ve got a really, really bad case of Holiday Cheer. Gingerbread cookies for everyone! Non-stop holiday sing-a-longs! Ugly sweaters galore! Hot chocolate! Hot chocolate! HOT CHOCOLATE!
One of the best parts of the holiday season is the HOLIDAY CHARACTERS! I am so very thrilled to curl up on my sofa with some fuzzy socks (and hot chocolate) and watch my favorite movies: The Grinch, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Elf . . . It’s not the holidays without movie magic!
Some holiday characters have magical powers, while others just have magical hearts. I’d like to think that the holidays makes everyone a little more magical, am I right? So, if these characters had to duke it out (in the name of saving the holidays, obviously), who would win??
- The Grinch vs. Ebenezer Scrooge from The Night Before Christmas
- Buddy the Elf vs. Tiny Tim from The Night Before Christmas
- The Sugarplum Fairy from The Nutcracker vs. The Little Drummer Boy
- Frosty the Snowman vs. Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- The Abominable Snowman vs. The Ghost of Christmas Past
- Jack Frost vs. Jack Skellington from The Nightmare Before Christmas
- The Nutcracker Prince vs. Cindy Lou Who from The Grinch
- Max from The Grinch vs. Kevin McCallister from Home Alone
Who do YOU think would win? Which holiday characters do you want to see included on the list? Share your thoughts in the Comments below!
Happy happy holidays,
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
November 17, 2015
Female Superhero Who Would Win
While all female superheroes are awesome, I am wondering . . . if some of our favorite female superheroes had to duke it out (for the greater good, obviously), who would win?
- Princess Leia from Star Wars vs. Wonder Woman
- Matilda from Matilda by Roald Dahl vs. Lyra from The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
- Piper McLean from the Heroes of Olympus series vs. Marcia Overstrand from the Septimus Heap series
- Elsa from Frozen vs. Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter series
- Batgirl vs. Amy from The 39 Clues series
- Ginny Weasley from the Harry Potter series vs. Annabeth Chase from the Percy Jackson series
- Sadie Kane from the Kane Chronicles series vs. Storm from X-Men
Who do YOU think would win? Do you have any favorite female superheroes you’d like to add to the list? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
January 27, 2015
Who Would Win: Winter or Summer?
Here in the New York City area, we’re pretty much sick and tired of being sick and tired of winter! Freezing temperatures and mushy snow make us long for summer. But will we feel the same way in summer? Will we long for the cool, magical, coziness of winter? Well, if you can’t decide, weigh in . . .
Winter vs. summer. Who’s the winner, in your opinion?
- Ice cream vs. Hot chocolate
- Snowboarding vs. Surfing
- Shovel snow vs. Mow the lawn
- Beach house vs. Mountain ski house
- Snowsuit vs. Bathing suit
- Ice pops vs. Icicles
- Winter holidays vs. summer vacation
- Hawaii vacation vs. Iceland vacation
- Building a sand castle vs. Building a snowman
- Frozen vs. Teen Beach Movie
And if you live in a part of the world where you are enjoying beautiful weather right now, then I am officially jealous!
Let us know your winter vs. summer winners in the Comments below!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
August 26, 2014
Vote for your favorite dog in our National Dog Day poll!
August 26 is National Dog Day, and you might not know this, but we have featured quite a few dogs on the STACKS. Do you remember any of these cuties from their past Create a Caption blog posts?
- Mikko and Maxine
- Scamper and TuTu
- Bran G
- Luke and Laura
Leave a Comment telling us which dog is your favorite.
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
August 18, 2014
It’s time to go back to school!
It’s finally time to go back to school! YAYYYY!!! There are so many reasons to get excited about going back to school but for today’s Who Would Win, please choose between these 2:
Which is better?
Having the best school library OR having the best school supplies in your school bag?
Leave your vote in the Comments. And tell us your favorite part about going back to school.
–Sonja, STACKS Staffer
The librarian photo credit aussiegal; My schoool bag photo credit anasararojas
August 12, 2014
Who would win this Shark Week match-up?
I am not ashamed to admit that I am TERRIFIED of sharks. I will literally not go swimming in the ocean because, even though you can’t see them, I know the sharks ARE THERE, LURKING! So, I know who I would pick for this week’s Who Would Win. How about you?
Shark photo courtesy Brook Ward. Hedgehog photo courtesy Tiffany Bailey
Are you loving Shark Week this year, or are you like me, hiding under your covers and thinking about baby hedgehogs? Leave your answer in the Comments!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
July 31, 2014
Vote for your favorite Harry Potter birthday cake.
It’s Harry Potter’s birthday today! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, dear Harry! Potter fans across the globe have baked and decorated some pretty amazing Harry Potter-themed cakes throughout the years. I don’t know about you, but my baking skills don’t even have a broom to fly on against these delicious-looking Potter cakes.
Which birthday cake do you vote for as the best fan-made Harry Potter birthday cake?! Leave your vote in the Comments.
Marisa, STACKS Intern
Birthday cake image credits: Daniel Drexler, woodleywonderworks, Two Kings Confections, TipsyCake Chicago
July 16, 2014
Who would win in a fight between your favorite fantasy characters?
I know what MY favorite thing about fantasy books is: fantasy books often have the most exciting, epic, earth-shattering battles. In worlds where anything is possible, magical creatures, logic-defying supernatural abilities, and even nature itself can turn any old argument into a knock-down, drag-out fight to save the universe. It’s so exciting!
Fight scenes in fantasy books always leave me wondering what I would do if I had the abilities or strengths that the characters have. Would I try to save the world, too? Or would I go on silly adventures instead? Probably a little bit of both!
Today’s Fantasy Books Festival post is all about special abilities. Everyone loves a good collision of fantasy universes, so do a little imagining yourself: who would win in a fight between these fictional characters?
Who are your winners? Why? What are your suggestions for fantasy face-offs? Share in the Comments below!
Till next time,
— En-Szu, STACKS Staffer