March 31, 2015
April Fools’ Day Trivia Quiz
There’s one day in the year when you can’t get in trouble for playing pranks on people. April Fools’ Day! Who can resist a glass of “moldy” milk or a gummy worm in your apple?
Are you prepared for April Fools’ Day? Take a jab at our April Fools’ Day Trivia Quiz. You might get some good ideas!
- What date is April Fools’ Day?
- According to one belief, April Fools’ Day is said to have started in which country? (Hint: Eiffel Tower)
- In 1998, which restaurant published a fake advertisement for a hamburger for left-handed people? (McDonald’s or Burger King)
- Back in 2011, which celebrity teen heartthrob singer pretended to let talk show host Jimmy Kimmel shave off his hair?
- TRUE or APRIL FOOL: In 2005, NASA posted on their website that water had been found on Mars. Was water really found on Mars?
- What would YOU rather do: put Vaseline on your parents’ toilet seat OR a mustache tattoo on your sister while she’s sleeping?
- TRUE or APRIL FOOL: In 1957, Swiss farmers enjoyed a surprise “spaghetti crop” when spaghetti grew on trees.
Read on for the answers. Continue reading
January 1, 2015
Baby Names ANSWERS: What’s Hot and What’s Not in 2014!
Last week we posted 2014 Baby Names Trivia. How did you do? Check out the answers below!
- Which Frozen character name shot up 29% this year? A) Olaf. B) Eva Bella. C) Elsa. D) Kristoff. ANSWER: Elsa . . . of course! Hans also was up 19%, but Elsa still beat him out.
- Which is NOT one of the top 3 girls’ names of 2014? A) Olivia. B) Sophia. C) Josephine. D) Emma. ANSWER: Josephine.
- Which city or borough would you rather be named after – Denver OR Bronx? Both were popular names in 2014! ANSWER: It’s up to you!
- Which name was NOT new to the girls top 100 list this year? A) Cora. B) Piper. C) Paisley. D) Clara. E) Ava. F) Cadence. ANSWER: Ava was not new. (It’s #4.) However, check out these new additions: Cora is #92. Piper is #94. Paisley is #96. Clara is #99. Cadence is #100.
- The names Easton, Xander, and Ryder are all new to the top 100 boys’ names this year. TRUE or FALSE? ANSWER: TRUE. Welcome aboard, guys!
- These boys’ names fell in popularity this year, and may soon be making their exit from the top 100. Which would YOU pick to be named before they fall of the list? Brayden (down 19 spots to #45) Chase (down 17 to #86) Colin (down 11 to #89) Zachary (down 9 to #67) ANSWER: Up to you! Personally, I love them all!
- Which “Fancy” Australian rapper’s real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly? Her names shot up on the popularity charts in 2014! ANSWER: Iggy Azalea. Iggy gained 75% in boys’ names, and Amethyst was up 55%!
- These names all fell OUT of the top 100 names this year: Bentley, Riley, Mateo, Jake, Ruby, Taylor. TRUE or FALSE? ANSWER: TRUE! Hard to believe, right? Maybe they’ll make a comeback.
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
December 30, 2014
Baby Names: What’s Hot and What’s Not!
Not too much has changed since last year’s Top Baby Names. For example the girls’ #1 name is still Sophia, and boys’ #1 is Jackson. But there are some new entries into the top 100 list . . . and there are some names that didn’t make the list this year! How name savvy are you? Check out our Baby Names Trivia below . . .
- Which Frozen character’s name shot up 29% this year? A) Olaf. B) Eva Bella. C) Elsa. D) Kristoff.
- Which is NOT one of the top 3 girls’ names of 2014? A) Olivia. B) Sophia. C) Josephine. D) Emma.
- Which city or borough would you rather be named after – Denver OR Bronx? Both were popular names in 2014!
- Which name was NOT new to the top 100 girls’ names list this year? A) Cora. B) Piper. C) Paisley. D) Clara. E) Ava. F) Cadence.
- The names Easton, Xander, and Ryder are all new to the top 100 boys’ names this year. TRUE or FALSE?
- These boys’ names fell in popularity this year, and may soon be making their exit from the top 100 – boo. Which would YOU pick to be named before they fall of the list? (Personally, I love them all!) Brayden (down 19 spots to #45) Chase (down 17 to #86) Colin (down 11 to #89) Zachary (down 9 to #67)
- Which “Fancy” Australian rapper’s real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly? Her names shot up on the popularity charts in 2014!
- These names all fell OUT of the top 100 baby names this year: Bentley, Riley, Mateo, Jake, Ruby, Taylor. TRUE or FALSE?
NAME your answers in the Comments below, and click here for the answers!
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
December 16, 2014
Famous Books Written by Literary Cats
Most people know that cats are smart, but did you know that many famous books were actually written by cats? I had no idea until I discovered these books in my cat’s library (a.k.a. his pile of treasured possessions hidden under the couch).
Can you identify these literary masterpieces written by cats?
- Diary of a Wimpy Cat by Jeff Kitty
- Purrrcy Catson and the Olympians by Rick Rowr-dan
- Little Kittens by Louisa May Alcat
- Furry Pawter and the Dog’s Bone by J.K. Meowling
- Say Meow and Chase that Tiny, Moving Red Dot! by R. L. Feline
Leave your answers in the Comments and let us know what books you would find in your cat library!
PS. If you are more of a dog person, check out these books written by literary dogs!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
December 9, 2014
Test Your Holiday Song Smarts!
You know it’s finally the holiday season when you turn on the radio and it’s nothing but your favorite holiday jams! Nothing gets me into the holiday spirit like a great holiday song. So I thought it would be a great idea to give y’all a trivia quiz featuring mashed-up, mixed-up holiday song titles!
In case you’re new to the world of title combination quizzes, here’s how to play. Below is a list of 10 holiday songs, but they’re not the songs you’re familiar with. I combined two song titles together, and you get to determine the two original song titles!
For example, “We Wish You A Merry Silent Night” is a mashup of “We Wish You A Merry Christmas” and “Silent Night.”
Can you decode the titles below?
- All I Want for Christmas is Bell Rock
- Do You Want to Build a Red-Nosed Reindeer?
- Rockin’ Around the Navidad
- Holly Jolly Mean One, Mister Grinch
- It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
- Where Are You Silver Bells?
- Deck the Christmas Wrapping
- 12 Days of Comin’ To Town
- Let It Snow Home for Christmas
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Sleigh Ride
- Frosty the Jingle Bells
BONUS: Auld Lang Wenceslas
Can you figure out what the original song titles are? Share your answers in the Comments below!
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
November 27, 2014
Read the answers to our Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz.
To get you in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I posted a Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz! Did you gobble up the questions, and spit out the answers? Or did it give you indigestion? (I hope not!) Without further ado, check out the answers below:
Photo by Sachyn Mital
- Which city is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade held in? ANSWER: New York City. It starts at 77th St./Central Park West and ends at 34th St. in front of Macy’s . . . (of course).
- Who is always on the LAST float in the parade? ANSWER: B) Santa Claus! Every year since 1924 Santa and Mrs. Claus close the parade.
- Which book character will be a balloon in the 2014 parade? ANSWER: A) Greg Heffley! Although I would like to see Slappy one year . . .
- Macy’s symbol is a red _________. ANSWER: Star.
- The Radio City _________ also perform a famous holiday dance number in the parade. ANSWER: Radio City Rockettes.
- Which character has never been a balloon in the parade? ANSWER: D) Elsa from Frozen. Although Idina Menzel (the actress who does Elsa’s voice) is set to perform this year!
- Which float has been in the parade for 40 years straight? ANSWER: A) Sesame Street!
- In 1997, several balloons had to come down due to high winds and safety concerns during the parade. Which balloon caused the most serious damage? ANSWER: A) The Cat in the Hat. The balloon was as tall as a 6-story building, and was careening out of control before it crashed into and broke the arm off a lamp post at 72nd St. Those winds can be hazardous!
Hope you enjoy the parade and turkey today! Gobble, gobble.
Ratha, Stacks Writer
November 24, 2014
Take the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz!
Thanksgiving Day just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving Day without the one and only… Macy’s Parade! I just love getting up, staying in my pj’s, and planting myself right in front of the TV to watch the parade, floats, and music acts. It makes it feel like the holidays are totally, really, officially here.
Originally known as Macy’s Christmas Parade, the Thanksgiving Day Parade was started by Macy’s employees. Many of them were first generation immigrants, and proud of their new American heritage, and they wanted to celebrate with the type of festivals they had in Europe. It featured floats, bands, and animals from the Central Park Zoo! It was such a success they decided to make it an annual event. But it wasn’t until 1927 that the first giant inflatable balloon debuted. Can you guess what it was? Felix the Cat.
Feel the need to march to the beat of more parade trivia? Then check out our Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz:
- Which city is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade held in?
- Who is always on the LAST float in the parade? A) Darth Vader. B) Santa Claus. C) An elf. D) A really cute boy band singer.
- Which book character first appeared in the 2014 parade? A) Greg Heffley from Diary of a Wimpy Kid. B) Geronimo Stilton. C) Poseidon from Percy Jackson. D) Slappy the Evil Dummy from Goosebumps.
- Macy’s symbol is a red _________. Hint: It’s a shape and also a balloon.
- The Radio City _________ also perform a famous holiday dance number in the parade. Hint: They are known for lot of high leg-kicks!
- Which character has never been a balloon in the parade? A) The Pillsbury Doughboy. B) Sonic the Hedgehog. C) The Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz. D) Elsa from Frozen.
- Which float has been in the parade for 40 years straight? A) Sesame Street. B) The Smurfs. C) Dancing kangaroos. D) Mount Rushmore’s American Pride.
- In 1997, several balloons had to come down due to high winds and safety concerns during the parade. Which balloon caused the most serious damage? A) The Cat in the Hat. B) Superman. C) Hello Kitty. D) Buzz Lightyear.
- Which character would YOU would like to see as a balloon in this year’s parade? Wouldn’t it be cool to see some of your favorite book characters come to life? I would love to see Harry Potter . . . or Voldemort! (He could fire spells and smoke at the spectators!)
Gobble up, and leave your answers in the Comments below. Click here for the answers!
– Ratha, Stacks Writer
October 21, 2014
Moderator Katie on the Reading Buzz Message Board posted a poll-type quiz with questions contributed by Go-green-or-else, DreamtimeDetermined14, BreezeBrain39, WinterWonder9300, and DarkRising6.
MU HA HA HA! Let the fun begin!
- What’s your favorite thing about Halloween?
- What’s your favorite type of candy?
- What are you being for Halloween this year?
- What’s your favorite Halloween costume you’ve ever had?
- What do you usually do for Halloween (trick-or-treat, party, stay home)?
- What’s the most IDEAL Halloween costume?
- Do you have any Halloween traditions?
- On a scale of 1-10, how much do you like Halloween?
- Do you know the history of Halloween? Do you care?
There are lots more questions to answer in the Halloween Quiz post. Go check them out and tell Moderator Katie I said, “Hi!” Happy Halloween!!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
October 7, 2014
Goosebumps Guess the Books: Answers Revealed!
Your challenge today was to name the book titles just by looking at these little pieces of the book covers. Did you guess them all?
Here are the answers:
- Goosebumps: One Day at HorrorLand
- Goosebumps Most wanted: Son of Slappy
- Goosebumps: The Werewolf of Fever Swamp
- Goosebumps: Night of the Living Dummy
- Goosebumps: The Haunted Mask
How did you do? Have you read all these books? Then you should totally join us for the rest of the Halloween Book Challenge going on all month long!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
October 7, 2014
Goosebumps Guess the Books
We are celebrating Goosebumps books this October. Can you guess the book titles from this tiny sliver of each cover? I’ll give you an obvious hint: They are all in the Goosebumps series.
Leave your guesses in the Comments and click here for the answers.
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer