December 6, 2013
“The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
If you don’t know about the great South African president Nelson Mandela, who died yesterday at age 95, you should read about him. He is my personal hero and a hero to many people around the world. Even President Obama loved him. “I am one of the countless millions who drew inspiration from Nelson Mandela’s life,” President Obama said on Thursday. “I cannot fully imagine my own life without the example that Nelson Mandela set.”
In 1964, when Mandela complained publicly about the system of racial prejudice (called apartheid) in South Africa, he was accused of trying to overthrow the government. He spent the next 27 years in prison. In 1990, he was released from prison, and in 1994, he became the country’s first black president ending apartheid forever.
Thank you, Nelson Mandela, for helping South Africa to rise, and for inspiring every person in the world to rise with you.
–Sonja, STACKS Staffer
Image credit Kadir Nelson from the book Nelson Mandela
December 3, 2013
Happy Holidays, everyone!
Now that Turkey Day is over, it’s officially the holiday season–and we’re so excited! We’ve got lots of holiday posts coming your way this month on the STACKS (DIY gift ideas and giftwrapping fun!), but before we dive into new activities, we thought we’d give you a good ol’ roundup of holiday-themed things to check out right now:
Do you know how people in other countries celebrate the season? Take our Holidays Around the World Quiz to test your world holiday knowledge. Go give our Christmas Cat a caption, and if you’re feeling extra creative, make a Recycled Plastic Snowflake. Share your family’s craziest, weirdest traditions in our Wacky Holiday Traditions Writing Prompt, and make some tough choices over at our Holiday Gifts Would You Rather. Don’t know what to give your family and friends for the holidays? Check out Sonja’s great gift idea. The holiday season is full of really great music, and we all love to sing along to our favorite songs–but how well do you know those tunes? Take our Holiday Songs Trivia Quiz! And don’t forget to dress your Virtual Pet for the holidays!
Are you excited for the holiday season? What are you looking forward to the most? Share with us in the Comments!
– En-Szu, STACKS Staffer
November 14, 2013
Thanksgiving is almost here!
There are SO many things to be thankful for, and Thanksgiving is such a fun reminder of the important things in life. Here are some activities to get you excited.
Happy Thanksgiving from the STACKS!
October 15, 2013
Halloween on the STACKS!
The spookiest day of the year is coming on October 31. Here are a few links and activities to get you ready for Halloween. If you need costume ideas, we got ‘em; scary books, we got ‘em. We even have a Personality Quiz to find out what monster you are most like!
This just in . . . these Halloween Would You Rather questions from PurpleWizard50:
Would you rather . . . .
- Dress up as a pink princess OR a yellow bumblebee?
- Get one small yummy candy bar OR a giant bar of yucky candy?
- Turn into a werewolf OR a vampire?
- Eat 2000 candy bars in a minute OR eat 30 old pieces of licorice in one minute?
- Meet a mummy OR Frankenstein?
If you have ideas for blog posts, go to the STACK Back Message Board and submit them! Have a safe and fun Halloween!
October 7, 2013
STACKS Spotlight: Get to Know Dreamtimepink9!
- She likes October because she was born in that month and she has a sweet tooth for candy, chocolates, and cookies.
- Her hobbies include acting, drawing, writing stories, riding her bike, and roller skating!
- She daydreams a lot, and hopes to one day become a teacher.
- Dreamtimepink9 loves reading adventure books, comic books, fantasy, and mysteries!
Her Book Suggestions:
Her Dream Halloween Costume: Fairy or Mermaid!
Add Dreamtimepink9 as a friend, and join her Avengers Fan Fiction. She’s really interesting. Check out her profile!
–Amanda, STACKS Intern
September 19, 2013
Best Hermione Quotes
Happy Birthday, Hermione! Today is Hermione Granger’s birthday, and here at the STACKS, we absolutely love her and put together a list of our all-time favorite quotes. Here they are in chronological order:
- “I’ve learned all the course books by heart of course. I just hope it will be enough – I’m Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?” Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- “I hope you’re pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed – or worse, expelled. Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to bed.” Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- “Harry — I think I’ve just understood something! I’ve got to go to the library!” Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- “Just because it’s taken you three years to notice, Ron, doesn’t mean no one else has spotted I’m a girl!” Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- “Excuse me but I don’t like people just because they are handsome.” Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- “All those poor elves I haven’t set free yet, having to stay over during Christmas because there aren’t enough hats!” Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- “Ron,” said Hermione in a dignified voice, “you are the most insensitive wart I have ever had the misfortune to meet.” Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- “Just because you’ve got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn’t mean we all have.” (to Ron, of course) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- “What are you doing with all those books anyway?” Ron asked.
“Just trying to decide which ones to take with us,” said Hermione, “when we’re looking for the Horcruxes.”
“Oh, of course,” said Ron, clapping a hand to his forehead. “I forgot we’ll be hunting down Voldemort in a mobile library.” Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Are your favorite quotes on this list? Add your own in the Comments, and take the Hermione Trivia Quiz.
September 16, 2013
September STACKS Profile Spotlight
Her hobbies include writing stories, playing board games, and surfing the net.
- She loves dogs and chocolate chip cookies.
- She wants to be a teacher, and dreams of exploring castles and historic ancient ruins.
- Yellowglow loves reading, and reads everything from adventure books to comic books and magazines!
Get to know Yellowglow!
Her Book Suggestions:
- The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
- Nancy Drew mystery stories by Carolyn Keane
- Daring Adventures series by Peter Reese Doyle
How She Got Her Cool Username: She told us in this post on the STACKS Buzz Board, “Yellowglow was the name of the main character in a book that I wrote when I was 10 or 11 years old.”
Personal Quote from Yellowglow: “Each one of you is carrying a light. Don’t hide it.”
Be sure to strike up a conversation with her on the Buzz Board and add her as a friend! She’s awesome! Check out her profile!
–Amanda, STACKS Intern
August 13, 2013
Back to School!
I know some kids get really sad when summer vacation is over and it’s time to go back to school, but I was never one of them. I LOVED back-to-school time! Who’s with me? Yay, school!!!! Woo hoo!! No? Um. . . . anyway. . . Whether you are happy or sad, here are some activities to help you celebrate (or mourn) the first day of school.
Happy Back-to-School, everyone! Hope you have an excellent school year!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
July 19, 2013
Calling All Actors, Singers, and Dancers
Have you ever dreamed of being discovered by a Hollywood producer, and getting to star in your own show? I know you are a talented bunch, and one of the questions you asked Karan Brar was how to get into show business. Well, if you are going to be near San Antonio, Texas on July 27-28, you could have a chance to show your stuff to Disney Channel talent scouts, and maybe get cast in a new Disney show!!! Read on for the details from the Disney press release.
Nationwide Search for Actors, Singers and Dancers Ages 10-17 for Upcoming Series and Movies Produced for Disney Channel and Disney XD
Disney Channel and Disney XD announce this year’s annual open call auditions will take place SATURDAY, JULY 27 and SUNDAY, JULY 28 in San Antonio, Texas. The search for new talent ages 10-17 is part of Disney Channel’s and Disney XD’s ongoing initiative to find cast and develop diverse young actors, singers and dancers for series and movies produced for the kid- and family-targeted channels.
Judy Taylor, senior vice president, Casting and Talent Relations, Disney Channels Worldwide, said, “Our annual open call auditions give kids a unique opportunity to showcase their comedic acting skills and/or singing and dancing ability and be seen by a professional casting director. We look forward to discovering a range of diverse, talented kids at this year’s open call and helping make their dreams come true.”
The open casting call auditions will be held on Saturday, July 27 for last names beginning with A-M and Sunday, July 28 for last names beginning with N-Z from 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. on both days at the San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter, 101 Bowie St., in downtown San Antonio. All attendees are advised to park at any nearby public parking facility. Parking will not be available at the Marriott Rivercenter.
An application and monologue will be provided upon arrival, and minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. There are no guarantees of employment and there will never be any fee to audition for Disney Channel or Disney XD.
Good luck to everyone auditioning, and don’t forget to thank the STACKS when you become a famous star!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
June 4, 2013
End of School Activities
Summer officially starts on June 21, but we all know the real start of summer is the last day of school. Whether you are off already or still counting down the days, try these activities to get your summer started right.
Finally, here are some more Would You Rather questions submitted by STACKers on the STACK Back Message Board. If you have ideas for blog posts, go to the Message Board and submit yours too!
From WitchPixie2 and AmberBlack111: Would you rather . . .
- Go to summer school OR spend an hour every day studying?
- Have hot weather OR snowy weather?
- Go on a free cruise OR a trip to Paris, London, and New York that costs money?
- Got to the beach every day OR be on vacation every day?
- Go to a summer school that's fun OR have boring sleepovers and playdates every day?
- Have a longer summer vacation but fewer days off during the school year OR have a short summer vacation but have more days off during the school year?
- Swim in a pool of Nutella OR ice cream?
- Swim with sharks OR race with cheetahs?
- Drink lemonade OR fruit punch?
Thanks for the awesome questions! I hope everyone has an epic summer!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer