August 31, 2015
Hippolyte posted this awesome-tastic challenge for you on the Fan Fiction Message Board!
So! This is a thing I saw in a STACKS Message Board a LONG time ago and though I’ve never participated myself, I figured it’s high time someone brings a new writing challenge. Here’s the deal:
You are to write a drabble inspired by the first song that comes up on shuffle. Grab your phones/ipods/mp3s/playlists or anything you have with music stored in it and a shuffle option, and enable said option. Your task is to write a short story (fan fiction or original) inspired by the song, for as long as the song is playing. Once the song is over, you stop writing and completely leave it be.
- You may skip songs in case you can’t get inspired, but don’t be too picky or you’ll just be shuffling forever.
- You must skip any songs that are inappropriate either because of language or content. Any song that receives a rating beyond PG 13 according to your judgment should better be avoided. We trust your judgment.
- In case you feel that a song with questionable content is still appropriate enough for this board, please mention all warnings that apply. Your story has to be 100% appropriate for all people on this boards. (As Moderator Katie says, don’t write something you wouldn’t say to a 7/8-year-old.)
- Your drabble can be a fan fiction or an original one. No preferences, but in case of fan fiction, make sure that the fandom you’re writing for is appropriate for younger kids on STACKS (PG 13 at most).
- “Completely leave it be” is just that. Don’t correct anything. Don’t play the song again. Don’t touch it; it’s already a masterpiece.
- Stories are expected to be short. Just brainstorm something and leave it in its raw beauty for the world to see.
- Of course, you’re never obliged to post what you just wrote if you don’t want to. We’re only doing this for fun.
I hope everyone has fun! I also hope you’re not weak enough to decline the challenge. Mwahaha!
So leave your song title and artist in the Comments, and then go to the Fan Fiction Message Board to share your whole story.
June 12, 2015
We met the members of R5, and they are really funny!
We got up-close and personal with the 5-piece band R5 consisting of Ross Lynch, Riker Lynch, Rocky Lynch, Rydel Lynch, and (Ellington) Ratliff. What’s it like touring the world? What are their favorite things about each other? Find out the answers to these questions and more below! Continue reading
May 18, 2015
One Direction without Zayn is like . . .
. . . a sock without its match.
. . . a day without a friend.
. . . a rainstorm without a rainbow.
Ok. You’ve come to grips with the news, sort of. Zayn Malik has left One Direction.
Some of you are devastated he left the band. Some of you understand that he wants to live like a normal 22-year-old. Some of you are skeptical and feel betrayed after his first solo song was leaked just a week after leaving the band. And . . . Some of you don’t really care.
Well, whatever side you’re on, we’re about to hit you with a Writing Prompt that you’ll want to answer! Pour out your feelings . . . or non-feelings . . . and complete this sentence in your own unique way.
One Direction without Zayn is like . . .
We can’t wait to see YOUR Direction in the Comments below!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
Zayn Malik photo courtesy of Sony Pictures.
March 25, 2015
Zayn Is Leaving One Direction!
It’s true. THIS IS NOT A JOKE! After five years Zayn Malik has decided to leave One Direction. Niall, Harry, Liam and Louis will continue as a four-piece group in the forthcoming concerts of their world tour, and will record their fifth album, due to be released later this year, without Zayn.
On the official One Direction Family website, Zayn says:
“My life with One Direction has been more than I could ever have imagined. But, after five years, I feel like it is now the right time for me to leave the band. I’d like to apologise to the fans if I’ve let anyone down, but I have to do what feels right in my heart. I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight. I know I have four friends for life in Louis, Liam, Harry and Niall. I know they will continue to be the best band in the world.”
One Direction says:
“We’re really sad to see Zayn go, but we totally respect his decision and send him all our love for the future. The past five years have been beyond amazing, we’ve gone through so much together, so we will always be friends. The four of us will now continue. We’re looking forward to recording the new album and seeing all the fans on the next stage of the world tour.”
You know you’re a Directioner when . . . you wish this was just a bad dream. I remember when I was first introduced to Zayn (not in real life, but you know what I mean!) when I read this crazy, hilarious interview. And remember this One Direction trivia quiz? And who could forget when Sam abducted him on iCarly? Oh, the memories!
What are your best Zayn memories? Leave your tributes in the Comments. We will miss you, Zayn! *sniff*
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
Zayn Malik photo courtesy of Sony Pictures, iCarly photo courtesy of Nickelodeon
October 28, 2014
Taylor Swift ROCKS Would You Rather!
The youngest singer EVER to win a Grammy for Album of the Year. The only female artist to chart at #1 with three consecutive studio albums. An album on Rolling Stone’s 50 Greatest Albums of All Time list. And . . . she writes her own music. And . . . she has a totally awesome fashion style.
Click here to watch an exclusive, up-close and personal chat with Taylor. She shares books that have inspired her, how writing has opened her world (a.k.a. becoming a rock star songwriter), and an exclusive never-before-seen video clip!
So with all the Taylor Swift excitement, we want to know . . .
Would You Rather…
- Win a trip to see her concert OR win a guitar signed by Taylor Swift?
- Be in the room when Taylor was writing a new song OR when she is making a music video?
- Have Taylor’s long hair OR short bob haircut?
- Have front row seats in a giant concert stadium OR be one of 10 people hearing her play in a private coffee house?
- Have Taylor as your songwriting coach OR your fashion stylist?
- Have Taylor Swift as your BFF OR Ariana Grande? (too hard to choose?!)
- See Taylor guest star on Austin & Ally OR The Thundermans?
- Sing a duet with Taylor in front of your whole school to “Shake It Off” OR “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”?
We can’t wait to hear what you guys say in the Comments below! Rock on.
Ratha, STACKS Writer
October 27, 2014
Taylor Swift This Is How I Shake It Off! Contest Winners
UPDATE: The deadline for this contest has passed but you can still shake it off! Try our Taylor Swift Would You Rather Quiz. And you can read the winning essay here.
Taylor Swift uses music to shake off the things people do or say that could have the power to hurt her. We want to hear how you shake off the things that get you down in your life. Enter the Taylor Swift This Is How I Shake It Off! Writing Contest for a chance to win these prizes . . .
- Grand Prize: A trip for 2 people to Taylor’s concert including a meet & greet with Taylor Swift!
- 2nd place winner: A signed guitar & 1989 CD
- 5 Runners-up: A signed 1989 CD
October 17, 2014
R5 Halloween Traditions
We caught up with guys and girl of R5 to talk about their favorite Halloween memories. Just imagine one-year-old Ross Lynch in a little, baby bear costume. Do you have that image in your head? OK. Now you’re ready to read on . . . Continue reading
September 25, 2014
Classic is the New Black: a magazine that discusses classic actors, movies, books, musicians, and TV shows from a kid’s point of view.
You may see Beatles as a bug but I see them as a band. At the age of 3, my father exposed me to a whole new world of classics. This is how I came to love the Beatles. I don’t know why I like the Beatles, but there was just a spark. Maybe it was their catchy lyrics or great melodies. It was something about the realness of the group. Continue reading
August 29, 2014
Singer Mackenzie Bourg
Are you a fan of the show The Voice? If you are, you’re probably familiar with Mackenzie Bourg. Mackenzie has a very impressive story–before competing on the show, he spent two months in the hospital due to a heart condition. He went on to make it all the way to the last round of the show! Right now, the 21-year-old singer/songwriter from Louisiana is making waves with his catchy pop music. Have you heard his song ”Impossible Things?” Click on the title to take a listen!
We were able to ask the rising star some questions about what he does, and more. Check it out! Continue reading
August 22, 2014
Meet Madison Beer, Internet singing star!
15-year-old Madison Beer got her first big break when Justin Bieber tweeted one of her videos to his millions of followers, and since then she has been working on her first studio album (oh, yeah, and she also recorded “Valentine” with Cody Simpson. Whaaaaat?!). We chatted with Madison about singing, books, her most embarrassing moment, and more.
Q: What advice would you give to young artists if they wanted to get into the music business? Continue reading