February 10, 2016
HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD PARTS I & II TO BE PUBLISHED IN PRINT BY SCHOLASTIC IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA AT 12:01 A.M. ON JULY 31, 2016
Scholastic will publish a script book based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne, and John Tiffany!
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, the eighth Harry Potter story, will be priced at $29.99 U.S. and $39.99 Canada. The script eBook will be published by Pottermore simultaneously with the print editions by Scholastic in the US and Canada, and Little, Brown Book Group in the UK.
It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and father of three school-age children.
While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes darkness comes from unexpected places.
February 10, 2016
Best Luna Lovegood Quotes
Since her first appearance in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Luna Lovegood has been one of my favorite characters in the Harry Potter series. She’s super-smart but kind of spacey, and has a very unusual sense of style. I’d like to imagine that if I went to Hogwarts, Luna and I would be BFFs. She’s really rad! Unfortunately, a lot of her peers (*cough, cough* Ron!) were quick to judge her for her strangeness, but eventually everyone came to realize how special and brave she really is. So just in time for Luna’s birthday on February 13, we’re bringing you our top ten Luna Lovegood quotes.
- ”I’ve been able to see them ever since my first year here. Don’t worry. You’re just as sane as I am.” (Order of the Phoenix)
- “You can laugh! But people used to believe there were no such things as the Blibbering Humdinger or Crumple-Horned Snorkack!” (Order of the Phoenix)
- “Mistletoe,” said Luna dreamily, pointing at a large clump of white berries placed almost over Harry’s head. He jumped out from under it. “Good thinking,” said Luna very seriously. “It’s often infested with nargles.” (Order of the Phoenix)
- “I think they think I’m a bit odd, you know. Some people call me ‘Loony’ Lovegood, actually.” (Order of the Phoenix)
- “When you say ‘Sirius,’ are you talking about Stubby Boardman?” (Order of the Phoenix)
- “Oh, no, I’d love to go with you as friends! Nobody’s ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine too? (Half Blood Prince)
- “I don’t think you should be an Auror, Harry. The Aurors are a part of the Rotfang Conspiracy. I thought everyone knew that. They’re working from within to bring down the Ministry of Magic using a combination of Dark Magic and gum disease.” (Half Blood Prince)
- “I’ve never been to this part of the castle. Well, not awake. I sleepwalk, you see. That’s why I wear shoes to bed.” (Half Blood Prince)
- “Hello, Harry! Oh, I’ve interrupted a deep thought, haven’t I? I can see it growing smaller in your eyes.” (Deathly Hallows)
- “Oooh, look, a Blibbering Humdinger! (Deathly Hallows)
Oh, Luna! There is no one quite like her. Here’s to you, Loony Lovegood! Happy Birthday! Do YOU have any other favorite quotes or moments from Luna? Share your thoughts in the Comments!
January 1, 2016
10 Reasons Why Going to Hogwarts Would Actually Be Terrible
Recently, Sonja (the Headmistress of The STACKS) asked me to do the hardest thing I have ever done in my WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE: “Can you list ten reasons why going to Hogwarts would actually be terrible?”
Of course I could think of one very obvious reason. “Um, because eventually I would have to graduate and NOT ATTEND HOGWARTS ANYMORE!” But that was just one reason. So I racked my brains for weeks trying to think of nine more reasons why. When you think about it, though, a lot of pretty terrifying stuff happened to Harry Potter and his friends while they were at Hogwarts. So behold a list you never thought you would (or should) see: Ten Reasons Why Going to Hogwarts Would Actually Be Terrible. Continue reading
December 11, 2015
What? Americans Don’t Say Muggle?!
Eddie Redmayne as Newt Scamander. 2015 Warner Bros Entertainment inc.
You know that the new wizarding movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them written by J.K. Rowling is coming out in November, 2016. (Watch the trailer here!) The movie will be set in New York in 1926, and here is a surprising fact I learned about the word Muggle: American wizards don’t use the word “Muggle” to describe non-magical people!
If you are a wizard from America, then you already know this, and I’m sorry to be boring you, but for the rest of us, this might come as a surprise: American wizards call us “No-Maj” like an abbreviation of “no magic.”
What?? All this time I’ve been referring to myself as a Muggle while all the American wizards were calling me No-Maj!
What do you think of the American word for Muggle? Tell us in the Comments.
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
November 24, 2015
Illustration by Mary GrandPre
You know who you are. You fell in love at the first page of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and you never looked back. But there are some things that people who have not read Harry Potter just don’t understand about you . . .
- You wish Hogwarts were real and you desperately want to get your Hogwarts letter.
- You try seriously hard to do magic and are frustrated when your “wand” (a.k.a. stick) does not work.
- Dobby, Fred Weasley, Professor Lupin, Snape, and Tonks.
- Trying to explain Quidditch to your non-Harry Potter friends so you can play it at recess.
- The movie did not include your favorite line or scene from the book.
- You scream while watching the movies, “That didn’t happen in the book!”
- When someone says, “JK” (for just kidding), you think, “Rowling.”
- You are desperately waiting for J.K. Rowling to write another children’s book.
- If it’s not Harry-related, you kind of don’t want to talk about it.
- Nothing else you read is ever as good as Harry Potter.
Can YOU relate to any of these? Leave a Comment to tell us your problems that only other Harry Potter fans understand!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
November 20, 2015
I went on an epic adventure to Universal Studios where I spent two days exploring the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. If you have already been there, then you know how awesome it is. If not, I’m bringing the adventure to you!
On the first day, I went to Islands of Adventure to visit Hogsmeade and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. As soon as I walked through the Hogsmeade entrance, I felt like I had walked onto a movie set or a real Harry Potter dream. The ground is made of cobblestone; the buildings are all whimsical and pointy, and store windows have displays that actually move! (If you buy a wand from Ollivanders, you can activate the displays by waving your wand at them.) Continue reading
September 22, 2015
Find Out Who Would Be Your Best Friend at Hogwarts!
By the the time, Harry Potter arrived at Hogwarts, he had already met the 2 people who would become his best friends. Who would be your Hogwarts bestie? Who would brave the hallowed halls and mysterious secret chambers by your side? Who would help you with your homework, pull pranks, sneak midnight snacks, and pass your O.W.L.s? When your Hogwarts letter finally arrives and you go on that magical journey that begins at Platform 9 3/4, you will be well-prepared knowing exactly which Hogwarts student you should be buddying up with. After all, having a best friend can make a world of a difference when starting a new school!
Answer these questions to find YOUR Hogwarts best friend!
- Which Hogwarts class are you most looking forward to? a) Care of Magical Creatures. b) Herbology. c) Transfiguration. d) Defense Against the Dark Arts. e) Alchemy.
- You are most nervous about . . . a) exams. b) bullies. c) rules. d) possibly not being the smartest person in your class. (GASP!) e) not knowing which of your 37 Yule Ball date invitations to say yes to.
- Your favorite Bertie Bott’s Beans flavor is . . . a) soap. b) grass. c) sausage. d) black pepper. e) banana.
- If you ran into Fluffy the Cerberus—a vicious three-headed dog–in a dark Hogwarts hallway, your first reaction would be to . . . a) feed it a treat. b) run away. c) cast a shrinking spell on it. d) play music for it, obviously. e) report it to the authorities.
- You would most likely get into trouble for . . . a) roaming the castle after hours. b) losing your homework. c) pranking another student. d) checking out an off-limits book from the library. e) Actually, you never get into trouble.
- You hope your patronus is a(n) . . . a) dolphin. b) giraffe. c) gopher. d) otter. e) bear.
- Your favorite potion is . . . a) Amortentia (a love potion). b) strength potion. c) Polyjuice potion (a potion that makes you look like another person). d) Felix Felicis (a lucky potion). e) Draught of Peace (a calming potion).
- Besides classes, what are you most looking forward to? a) Hanging out with mermaids. b) Exploring the library. c) Going to Zonko’s Joke Shop in Hogsmeade. d) There’s life outside class? e) Quidditch!
- Which house would you be sorted into? a) Ravenclaw. b) Hufflepuff. c) Gryffindor. d) Slytherin. e) It doesn’t really matter as long as you end up at Hogwarts!
September 19, 2015
Photo courtesy Warner Bros.
Hermione, you are awesome! We love you! Happy Birthday!!!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
September 1, 2015
The Hogwarts Express Leaves Today!
If you received your Hogwarts letter this year, you are probably just now getting ready to board the Hogwarts Express to start your wizarding education. Congratulations! To help you get ready for your new life at Hogwarts, I created this Harry Potter name generator so you can invent yourself as a character in the wizarding world.
I tried not to include any actual character name combos. So you can be Ginny Wizangamot, but you can’t be Ginny Weasley. (But oh my goodness, how awesome would it be to actually BE Ginny Weasley???) For first name, you have the option to choose either a boy’s name or a girl’s name that starts with the first letter of your Muggle name. There’s nothing that says you have to choose the boy’s name of you’re a boy or the girl’s name if you’re a girl, but you have the choice. I tried not to choose any evil character names, but for some letters, it was impossible. (Sorry Yaxley Umbridge! I’m sure you’re very nice in real life.)
First name choices: Continue reading
July 28, 2015
Harry Potter Would You Rather
EnergeticGriffin20 posted this Harry Potter Would You Rather Quiz on the Harry Potter Message Board.
Would You Rather . . .
- Be a Slytherin or Gryffindor?
- Be a Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw?
- Get stuck in the Chamber of Secrets for 10 minutes or get stuck in a closed room with Dementors for 10 minutes?
- Be Professor Dumbledore or Professor McGonagall?
- Be a Quidditch player or not?
- Study Charms or Potions?
- Have a detention with Professor Snape or Professor Umbridge?
- Live with Harry Potter your whole life or live with Hermione your whole life?
- Be a professor at Hogwarts or a student at Hogwarts?
Leave your answers in the Comments and go visit the Harry Potter Message Board to join the conversation.