November 24, 2015
10 Problems Only Harry Potter Fans Understand
You know who you are. You fell in love at the first page of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and you never looked back. But there are some things that people who have not read Harry Potter just don’t understand about you . . .
- You wish Hogwarts were real and you desperately want to get your Hogwarts letter.
- You try seriously hard to do magic and are frustrated when your “wand” (a.k.a. stick) does not work.
- Dobby, Fred Weasley, Professor Lupin, Snape, and Tonks.
- Trying to explain Quidditch to your non-Harry Potter friends so you can play it at recess.
- The movie did not include your favorite line or scene from the book.
- You scream while watching the movies, “That didn’t happen in the book!”
- When someone says, “JK” (for just kidding), you think, “Rowling.”
- You are desperately waiting for J.K. Rowling to write another children’s book.
- If it’s not Harry-related, you kind of don’t want to talk about it.
- Nothing else you read is ever as good as Harry Potter.
Can YOU relate to any of these? Leave a Comment to tell us your problems that only other Harry Potter fans understand!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
November 20, 2015
I went on an epic adventure to Universal Studios where I spent two days exploring the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. If you have already been there, then you know how awesome it is. If not, I’m bringing the adventure to you!
On the first day, I went to Islands of Adventure to visit Hogsmeade and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. As soon as I walked through the Hogsmeade entrance, I felt like I had walked onto a movie set or a real Harry Potter dream. The ground is made of cobblestone; the buildings are all whimsical and pointy, and store windows have displays that actually move! (If you buy a wand from Ollivanders, you can activate the displays by waving your wand at them.) Continue reading
September 22, 2015
Find Out Who Would Be Your Best Friend at Hogwarts!
By the the time, Harry Potter arrived at Hogwarts, he had already met the 2 people who would become his best friends. Who would be your Hogwarts bestie? Who would brave the hallowed halls and mysterious secret chambers by your side? Who would help you with your homework, pull pranks, sneak midnight snacks, and pass your O.W.L.s? When your Hogwarts letter finally arrives and you go on that magical journey that begins at Platform 9 3/4, you will be well-prepared knowing exactly which Hogwarts student you should be buddying up with. After all, having a best friend can make a world of a difference when starting a new school!
Answer these questions to find YOUR Hogwarts best friend!
- Which Hogwarts class are you most looking forward to? a) Care of Magical Creatures. b) Herbology. c) Transfiguration. d) Defense Against the Dark Arts. e) Alchemy.
- You are most nervous about . . . a) exams. b) bullies. c) rules. d) possibly not being the smartest person in your class. (GASP!) e) not knowing which of your 37 Yule Ball date invitations to say yes to.
- Your favorite Bertie Bott’s Beans flavor is . . . a) soap. b) grass. c) sausage. d) black pepper. e) banana.
- If you ran into Fluffy the Cerberus—a vicious three-headed dog–in a dark Hogwarts hallway, your first reaction would be to . . . a) feed it a treat. b) run away. c) cast a shrinking spell on it. d) play music for it, obviously. e) report it to the authorities.
- You would most likely get into trouble for . . . a) roaming the castle after hours. b) losing your homework. c) pranking another student. d) checking out an off-limits book from the library. e) Actually, you never get into trouble.
- You hope your patronus is a(n) . . . a) dolphin. b) giraffe. c) gopher. d) otter. e) bear.
- Your favorite potion is . . . a) Amortentia (a love potion). b) strength potion. c) Polyjuice potion (a potion that makes you look like another person). d) Felix Felicis (a lucky potion). e) Draught of Peace (a calming potion).
- Besides classes, what are you most looking forward to? a) Hanging out with mermaids. b) Exploring the library. c) Going to Zonko’s Joke Shop in Hogsmeade. d) There’s life outside class? e) Quidditch!
- Which house would you be sorted into? a) Ravenclaw. b) Hufflepuff. c) Gryffindor. d) Slytherin. e) It doesn’t really matter as long as you end up at Hogwarts!
September 19, 2015
Photo courtesy Warner Bros.
Hermione, you are awesome! We love you! Happy Birthday!!!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
September 1, 2015
The Hogwarts Express Leaves Today!
If you received your Hogwarts letter this year, you are probably just now getting ready to board the Hogwarts Express to start your wizarding education. Congratulations! To help you get ready for your new life at Hogwarts, I created this Harry Potter name generator so you can invent yourself as a character in the wizarding world.
I tried not to include any actual character name combos. So you can be Ginny Wizangamot, but you can’t be Ginny Weasley. (But oh my goodness, how awesome would it be to actually BE Ginny Weasley???) For first name, you have the option to choose either a boy’s name or a girl’s name that starts with the first letter of your Muggle name. There’s nothing that says you have to choose the boy’s name of you’re a boy or the girl’s name if you’re a girl, but you have the choice. I tried not to choose any evil character names, but for some letters, it was impossible. (Sorry Yaxley Umbridge! I’m sure you’re very nice in real life.)
First name choices: Continue reading
July 28, 2015
Harry Potter Would You Rather
EnergeticGriffin20 posted this Harry Potter Would You Rather Quiz on the Harry Potter Message Board.
Would You Rather . . .
- Be a Slytherin or Gryffindor?
- Be a Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw?
- Get stuck in the Chamber of Secrets for 10 minutes or get stuck in a closed room with Dementors for 10 minutes?
- Be Professor Dumbledore or Professor McGonagall?
- Be a Quidditch player or not?
- Study Charms or Potions?
- Have a detention with Professor Snape or Professor Umbridge?
- Live with Harry Potter your whole life or live with Hermione your whole life?
- Be a professor at Hogwarts or a student at Hogwarts?
Leave your answers in the Comments and go visit the Harry Potter Message Board to join the conversation.
July 1, 2015
Debate: Your Least Favorite Good Character
There is a debate happening on the Harry Potter Message Board re: Who is your least favorite good guy? And TechnologyAthlete12 has some harsh words about Ron:
Ron. Yep I know a lot of you will be surprised but I just dislike Ron, as he is quite useless throughout the series other than the one time when he destroyed a horcrux. Other than that, all he does is take the female main character (Hermione Granger) as a wife and yeah. He really just slows things down, makes too much noise, and is too sensitive. I guess his family is okay as they help Harry quite a bit throughout the series, but Ron himself really does nothing. I guess he can be funny at times but that is the only positive thing that he does consistently throughout the series.
What do YOU think? Do you agree that Ron is useless? Who is YOUR least favorite good character? Tell us in the Comments!
April 15, 2015
More Proof That J. K. Rowling ROCKS!
Part 1 of a 2-part interview with Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling appeared on the Today Show this week. There is good news and bad news. The bad news for Harry Potter fans is that she said she is definitely not working on another Harry Potter book. “Harry Potter 8, as in what happened next to Harry, Ron and Hermione — I don’t think that’s going to happen.” Oh well . . .
But the good news is pretty amazing! J. K. Rowling has started a charity called Lumos. (Awesome name, right?) According to the Lumos website, the goal is to eliminate all orphanages and replace them with “community based services that provide children with access to health, education and social care tailored to their individual needs.”
As you probably know, Lumos is the spell to make light, so this name has a special meaning. This charity will help bring the problem of orphanages to light, and hopefully inspire people to change that system. And it will also be a light of hope to the children living in them and can hopefully make their lives much better.
In the Today Show interview, J. K. Rowling said, “I definitely will write for children again, ’cause I love writing for kids. So that will definitely happen, and that will sit comfortably alongside this work [Lumos]. And maybe I’ll get to read that new work to some of these children.”
Did you even need more proof that J. K. Rowling is a goddess? Well, there it is! Do you love her even more now? Leave your reactions in the Comments!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
February 25, 2015
Harry Potter Shipping!
Today’s question comes from BubblyBookworm12 on the Harry Potter Board. I am VERY CURIOUS to see your responses to this one!!
I was taking a break from studying when I realized I hadn’t been here in ages. Aaaaages. So I logged on, had a look at all the old posts, and noticed my Harry Potter shipping challenges. Everyone had such great responses and seemed to enjoy them, I thought why not post another? So, here it goes. . .
This week’s couple is:
Professor McGonagall &Vernon Dursley!!!
Leave a Comment saying why you think they could or could NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS be a good couple!
February 3, 2015
Preview a New Illustration and Play Harry Potter I Spy
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone will get a deluxe new edition with all new illustrations later this year, and we have a preview of Hermione!
The illustrator Jim Kay says on his website that this illustration of Hermione is based on his niece Milly, and the door is from All Saints Church in Thornham, but he added all the Hogwarts graffiti himself. The graffiti is actually really cool! If you look closely you can see lots of Hogwarts students’ signatures, like Tom Riddle, Lupin, and even J. K. Rowling (who, I guess, is an honorary Hogwarts student)!
Illustration by Jim Kay © 2014 by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
For a REALLY good look at all the graffiti, click on the picture and you’ll get an enlarged version. Tell us in the Comments what other Hogwarts names you recognize in this illustration.
Sonja, STACKS Staffer