April 21, 2014
Reading Bingo Day 1
Here is everything you need to get started playing STACKS Reading Bingo.
Rules and Procedures:
- Print your Bingo card. You can print as many Bingo cards as you want.
- Easy Bingo: If you have read any books that fit in any of the squares, you can write them in. For example, A1: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. You will have to report the titles for each square to prove that you have Bingo. If you want an extra challenge, skip this step and go to step 3.
- CHALLENGE Bingo: When we announce a book title on the STACKS, check your Bingo card and see if that book fits in any of the squares. Write down the book title in the proper square. This is harder because you can only use the books that we call out.
- Each square must be a different book title. No repeating the same book!
- You must have read the book OR are currently reading the book.
- Every day, the way to win will be different, so you could get Bingo every day. The way to win today is to get 5 squares in a row either horizontally, vertically or diagonally. Tomorrow, it will be different!
- When you get Bingo, yell it in the blog Comments and tell us which books you put in which squares. (A1: book title, A2: book title . . .)
The first book clue is . . . .
The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer
If you have read this book, then choose the Bingo square it fits in and write in the title.
Check Ink Splot 26 and the Harry Potter Message Board all day today for more book clues. When you get 5 in row, yell BINGO! in the Comments. Good luck!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
April 1, 2014
Giant Eggs, Cool Art in Yoshi’s New Island
Everyone’s favorite egg-tossing hero is back. Find out how you can win Yoshi’s New Island for Nintendo 3DS!
Six worlds full of different levels await exploration in the Yoshi’s New Island™ game, the third game in the beloved Yoshi’s Island series, which just launched on the Nintendo 3DS™ system. In the game, Yoshi™ must help Baby Mario™ reunite with his kidnapped brother, Luigi™. This time around, there are giant new eggs, fun new visuals and a multiplayer mode that lets two players who each have a Nintendo 3DS system pair up for a mini-game cooperative challenge. The new character transformations are dynamite. Yoshi can turn into a hot air balloon, mine cart, and even a jackhammer! And by grabbing a special star, Yoshi can soar in the sky or run along walls and ceilings. Gravity doesn’t mean a thing to this “Super Yoshi!”
Enter the Yoshi’s New Island Sweepstakes (presented by Scholastic) for a chance to win a Nintendo 3DS XL system and the Yoshi’s New Island game! (Official Rules)
Are you a mega Yoshi fan? Loving the new game? Share your Comments below. Continue reading
March 23, 2014
Announcing Reading Bingo!
I’m sure you all know the game Bingo, where you have a card and someone yells out numbers like, “B-53!” If you have that number on your card, you get to cross it off. Well, beginning Monday, April 21 through Friday, April 25, you can participate in STACKS Reading Bingo. Instead of numbers, we will be calling out book titles. If you have read that book, then you can cross it off your card. Keep reading for the instructions that tell you how to play . . . Continue reading
March 13, 2014
March Madness Basketball Activities
March 16th is Selection Sunday for the 2014 NCAA Basketball tournament known as March Madness. For those of you who love basketball, this is obviously the highlight of the year–the next three weeks are all about watching, eating, and breathing basketball! As this 76th season of March Madness kicks off, we’re lacing up our sneakers, dusting off our pom-poms, and rounding up our favorite basketball books, games, and activities at the STACKS.
Which team are you rooting for this year? What are you doing for March Madness? Share in the Comments below!
January 25, 2014
Get ready for the biggest football game of the year!
The Super Bowl is almost here. The big game will be played on Sunday, February 2, so I thought we could round up some of the best football facts and fun from the STACKS. Here are a few things for you to do to get ready for the big game next week.
- Take this Super Bowl quiz.
- Play the Game Changers football game.
- Get the latest football books from Scholastic.
- Leave a Comment telling us which team you are rooting for in Super Bowl XLVIII!
- Or if you prefer animal sports, will you be watching the Kitten Bowl on Hallmark Channel, or Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet?
Photos courtesy of Hallmark Channel and Animal Planet
December 13, 2013
Our new obsession: Roominate!
Roominate was created by Alice and Bettina (in the photo at left), two super-cool young engineers who realized that there aren’t enough girls in science. They wanted to create something that would be fun and also introduce girls to science, and that’s when the idea for Roominate was born. Roominate is a wired dollhouse building kit. You can design your own dollhouse and furniture, decorate it any way you like, fill it with your favorite dolls, and—the best part—add electronic elements.
Roominate comes with an electric motor that can be used to do just about anything. Here at the STACKS we had a lot of fun trying out different options: a fan, a windmill, and even a (very silly!) spinning Christmas tree.
The building units of Roominate are really easy to put together, so we built all kinds of furniture and even created our own little doll to hang out and read Harry Potter. We loved giving our Roominate room a seasonal makeover (which included our spinning Christmas tree). Watch our how-to video.
We’re so excited to have such a fun toy to play with, and even more excited that it’s entertaining AND educational. Roominate girls have been building some really amazing stuff: from replicas of their own bedrooms to the Golden Gate Bridge! They’re proving that science is so totally not just for the boys.
What would YOU build with Roominate? Share your ideas in the Comments below—we just might try them out!
– En-Szu, STACKS Staffer
December 10, 2013
GET MORE OUT OF MINECRAFT!!
Have you just discovered the magical world of Minecraft? Or are you an expert who’s been at it for months? Either way, this is the book for you.
Minecraft: Essential Handbook is the only official guide available, and it includes tips and secrets that will help players whether they’re beginners or experts. For instance, do you know how to look at an Endermen without getting attacked? Or how to build a roller coaster cart system? You can find the answers in this book . . . and so much more—including exclusive interviews with Notch, the creator of Minecraft, and Jeb, Minecraft’s lead developer.
Check out the pages below (or click here for the pdf). Each has an essential tip to help you excel at Minecraft. Continue reading
November 19, 2013
Don’t you love this adorable pine cone owl?
Fall is the perfect time for an outdoor nature walk. It’s also a perfect time for an indoor craft session. This Pine Cone Owl craft comes courtesy of the Scholastic Teachers site, and combines both in one happy, autumn craft. You can take a nature walk to gather the pine cones or buy them at a craft supplies store.
- 1 large pine cone
- Cotton balls
- Googly eyes
- Orange construction paper
- Gently pull apart a few cotton balls to make them fluffy.
- Stuff pieces of cotton into the grooves of the pine cone.
- Near the top of the pine cone, glue on two googly eyes.
- Fold a piece of orange construction paper in half, and cut a triangle on the crease. Glue it onto the owl, below the eyes, for the owl’s beak.
- Glue a few feathers on the sides of the owl and on its head.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
September 15, 2013
Phineas and Ferb Giveaway
All fans of Phineas and Ferb, please pay attention! We are offering you a special chance to win a free Phineas and Ferb Quest for Cool Stuff Wii game (rated E)! But, here’s the thing. You can ONLY enter if you subscribe to the STACKS Blast Newsletter.
So right now you may be thinking. . .
YOU: Oh no! I’m not a STACKS Blast subscriber and I don’t even know what the STACKS Blast is!
ME: The STACKS Blast is our free monthly e-mail newsletter. You give us your e-mail address and an e-mail address for one of your parents, and once a month (usually around the 15th), we give you a newsletter full of games, videos, celeb news, books, and a sweepstakes you can enter.
YOU: Cool! I want to get that newsletter! But wait, I want to enter to win that Phineas and Ferb Wii game now. How do I enter?
ME: Patience, grasshopper! First, you sign up for the newsletter. Then you must wait until October 15 when Hooray! the STACKS Blast will arrive in your e-mail inbox. Hurry up and open it! Inside, you’ll see a special section for the STACKS Giveaway. That’s where you enter. OK?
In the meantime, watch the trailer for the Phineas and Ferb Quest for Cool Stuff game.
Don’t forget to sign up for the STACKS Blast Newsletter and enter the sweepstakes. Good luck!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
Images and video courtesy of Disney
August 1, 2013
Hi STACKS Readers,
Harmonie R. here, one of the agents from The 39 Clues Message Board! I am here to report some exciting news. The39Clues.com has been revamped and is now better than before. You’ll notice insanely cool graphics, easier navigation, a Cahill Command Center ticker board, and best of all, an all-NEW Mission 1!
If you’ve played Mission 1 before, get ready for some seriously sweet new stuff:
- Tour a virtual exhibit of the R.M.S. Titanic with actual artifacts from the ship.
- Solve new PUZZLES to help you collect evidence & find out what happened to the Lost Clue.
- Ever wonder what a FIRST CLASS cabin on the famed luxury liner looked like? Check it out in an unlikely place.
- Explore the hidden depths of Loch Ness and uncover the truth behind the legends.
If you are new to The 39 Clues, Mission 1 is fully equipped to introduce you to The Clue Hunt! Some of the agents on the 39 Clues Message Boards have weighed in, and a couple of their favorite parts of the mission are the Grave Puzzle and the Loch Ness Monster. Intrigued? See what all the fuss is about and play the revamped Mission 1!
—Harmonie, Scholastic Staffer