June 21, 2016
Find the Squid!
You know those pictures where everything looks the same, but you have to find the thing that is different? Well, we’ve got one for you that I drew myself!
Look at this big bunch of eggs and see if you can find the squid hiding in there.
Click the image for a larger view.
Did you find it? Tell us in the Comments what you think of my picture puzzle!
June 6, 2016
10 Problems Only Minecraft Fans Understand
Are you obsessed with Minecraft? Can you spend hours creating your world and visiting your friends’ worlds? Do you eat, sleep, and breathe Minecraft? When you get tired of playing, do you switch over to watching videos of other people playing Minecraft? If so, this is for you. Read on to see if you DIG:
10 Problems Only Minecraft Fans Understand!
- When a zombie kills your dog (or cat or bunny or horse).
- Your game glitches and you accidentally die.
- You build a fireplace in your house . . . and your house accidentally catches fire.
- You can’t decide who is better: Stampy Cat or Dan TDM. It is TOO HARD to decide.
- When your sister plays your game and changes/damages/erases your world. Not cool.
- Lava. It’s bad news.
- You are constantly searching online how to build cool stuff like ender portals, pirate ships, mob traps, real stuff like the Empire State Building or Titanic . . . the list goes on and on.
- You can’t stop blowing stuff up with TNT.
- You have nightmares about a chicken jockey (a baby zombie riding on a chicken) attacking you.
- You have nightmares about not being able to play Minecraft.
Are you a Minecrafter? Let us know your problems only fellow Minecraft fans would understand – in the Comments below!
June 3, 2016
How to make your own M.A.S.H. game
Want to know your future? All you have to do is gather your friends and play a game of M.A.S.H. (In case you don’t know, M.A.S.H. stands for Mansion, Apartment, Shack, House.) You can play the online M.A.S.H. game here, but if you want to play without a computer . . .
STEP 1) Get a sheet of paper and write “M.A.S.H” at the top of the page in big letters. Then think of four categories. They can be anything you want, but most people choose: people to marry, future jobs, how wealthy they will be, and the number of kids they’ll have. Now pick four answers for each category. To make the game more interesting, have your friends pick the answers for you!
STEP 2) Draw a box at the bottom of the page with a dot in the middle. Close your eyes and have your friend draw a spiral in the box starting from the dot. After a few seconds say, “Stop!” Then open your eyes and count the spiral’s rings. That number is your lucky number.
STEP 3) Start at the “M” in M.A.S.H and count up to your lucky number. When you stop, cross out whatever you land on. (For instance, if your lucky number is three, start counting at “M” and when you land on “S” cross it out.) Keep counting up to your lucky number, going through each category before circling back to the beginning. When there is only one answer in each category, circle it. That is your future!
So what did you get? A mansion, with your crush, and four kids? Who knows? It may just come true (unless you ended up in a shack with someone you can’t stand)! Then, you can always play again! Good luck!
May 27, 2016
Reading Is My Superpower. What’s Yours?
The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge is on! You can log minutes, earn rewards, and enter for a chance to win prizes.
And here is another fun reading activity you can do with a friend. Print the Scholastic Summer Reading Mad Libs story starter, grab a friend, and crack yourselves up filling in the story with your answers. If you have never played Mad Libs before, here is what you do:
- Print the sheet and don’t let your friend read it first.
- Ask your friend to give you words for each blank space on the sheet. The clues in parentheses under the blanks tell you what words your friend should say. For example, the first blank asks for a name, so your friend would tell you any name.
- Write down the word your friend says in the space, NO MATTER WHAT the word is!
- When you have filled in all the blanks, read your story out loud.
May 26, 2016
Make Your Own Art Bot!
An art bot is a thing that uses a motor to in some way create art with drawing implements attached to it. There are many different possible designs. This is a guide to make the one I made, which does not require any expensive or hard-to-get materials. Make sure you read the entire procedure before attempting.
You will need:
- A large paper or plastic cup that you can cut
- At least three markers or colored pencils (markers work a lot better because colored pencils don’t have enough pressure to draw well and need to be sharpened)
- An electric toothbrush (you can get really cheap ones at the dollar store)
- If they’re not included in the toothbrush, batteries
- Remove the motor from the toothbrush. I’m not sure what brand I used, but the motor came out easily. If there aren’t any, put in batteries.
- Cut a hole in the bottom of the cup that the motor can fit halfway into. Turn it over so the hole is on top, and tape the motor in halfway so that the end with a button on it is sticking halfway out. If the button is in a different place, find a way to arrange it so it is reachable from outside.
- Tape your pencils or markers around the outside of the cup, drawing ends down (away from the motor end). Make sure they are evenly spaced and the drawing ends are the same distance away from the rim of the cup.
- Place the art bot on a piece of paper with the motor on top, and turn it on! If not every marker/pencil is drawing, adjust them so that they are all touching the paper.
- If you used markers, make sure to cap them when you are done.
Julie, Scholastic Kids Council
May 20, 2016
Wacky Sports From Around The World
Baseball is America’s pastime and millions of people watch the Super Bowl every year. While these mainstream sports get all the attention, there are super-wacky sports played all over the globe.
Every year, Port Lincoln is home to the Tuna Tossing World Championship. The rules are simple: contestants try to toss a 10 kilogram tuna as far as they can. The world record is 25 meters.
Cheese rolling may sounds like a simple sport, but is actually very dangerous. Participants chase a wheel of cheese down a steep hill and the first person to grab the cheese wins. While the rules are simple enough, most people end up falling head over heals in their attempt to catch the coveted cheese.
Bun climbing is an annual competition held at the Cheung Chau Bun Festival in China. Men compete in a race to climb towers decorated in steamed buns and bamboo. The person to collect the most buns wins.
Bossaball is a wacky sport that combines soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, and a trampoline. The game is played a lot like volleyball, but teams can use their feet, head, and hands to touch the ball. Also, the court has a giant trampoline in the middle to help people get giant jumps.
Quidditch is the flying sport played in J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series. Although they can’t fly, Muggles actually play Quidditch by running around on a field with brooms between their legs.
It seems like every year someone is inventing a new wacky sport. What wacky sports would you like to play? Tell us in the Comments!
May 11, 2016
We know a lot of you love Pokémon, as we saw in our recent Most Powerful Pokémon post.
If you’re not familiar with the power of Pokéman, they are fictional creatures that humans catch and train to battle each other for sport. And with just around 722 Pokémon characters to choose from – spanning games, TV series, movies, and comics – it’s hard to pick a favorite! Whether you’re a seasoned Pokéfan, just discovering Pokémon, take a poke at our Pokémon Would You Rather.
Would You Rather . . .
- Be in a Pokémon cartoon OR video game?
- Be Dialga (the steel dragon) and be able to warp time by speeding it up and slowing it down, OR Palkia (the water dragon) and be able to warp space, and travel to other dimensions?
- Have the power to copy your foe’s ability (Trace) OR the power to make your foe infatuated with you (Cute Charm)?
- Have Mega Kangaskhan OR Mega Rayquaza be your battle BFF?
- Have the power to turn your enemy to ice with an icy punch OR make your enemy fall asleep?
- The winner of the cutest Pokémon is . . . Pikachu OR Eevee?
- Be a “god” like Arceus OR a “beast” like Deoxys?
- Win a Pokémon playing card tournament OR Pokémon video game tournament?
Let us know your answers, and your Pokémon Would You Rather questions in the Comments below!
April 28, 2016
Solve This Dog Show Logical Reasoning Puzzle
Okay, here’s a new logical reasoning puzzle. See if you can figure it out on your own. If you can’t, don’t worry. The answer is below. So grab a pencil and paper, and good luck!
(1) Five dogs are appearing in a dog show. (2) The Chihuahua appears first. (3) The Golden Retriever comes out right after the Great Dane. (4) The Poodle and the Golden Retriever both come before the Dachshund. (5) The Poodle comes out before the Great Dane. In what order do the dogs appear?
Here’s how to use process of elimination to solve it: Continue reading
April 26, 2016
Who Wants a Sweet Treat?
Okay, my fellow puzzle-lovers, we’re back with ANOTHER picture puzzle! This time, you’ll be hunting for words instead of objects (because hey, we’re kind of obsessed with words). Can you find the following words in the old stamp design?
Click on the picture to see a larger version.
- ICE CREAM
Okay, there was a theme here. What? Who doesn’t love yummy, sugary foods? We’re off to snack on some cupcakes, but let us know what words you were able to find (and which ones you couldn’t) in the Comments!
April 14, 2016
Science Experiments Kids Can Do at Home
If you’re looking for something fun to do, here are some very cool (and very messy) science experiments you can do at home!
There are two ways to get slimed. One is to become a teen sensation and get slimed on the Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards. The other (and much easier) way is to just make it at home. If your parents ask why you want to make slime, you can say it’s because you’re researching polymers, which you technically are. Polymers are substances that behave like both a solid and a liquid simultaneous, a characteristic that gives Slime its gooeyness.
Here’s how you do it: In a small bowl drop a big glop of Elmer’s glue (about 1 inch worth). Then add three tablespoons to the bowl and stir it up. Add food coloring until you get the color you want. Then take a small glass, fill it with water, and mix in a tablespoon of Borax powder. (If you can’t find Borax at your local store, you can order it online.) Now stir the Borax mixture into the bowl and in a few seconds you’ll have slime!
The Diet Soda/Mentos Trick!
Want to make soda explode and tell people you’re studying chemistry at the same time? If you don’t mind making a bit of a mess, you can!
First, go outside with one bottle of diet soda. Then drop in a Mint Mentos candy and wait a few moments. Suddenly, you’ll have a geyser of soda shooting up to the sky.
Now it’s time to get science-y. The reason this works is because the carbon dioxide in carbonated soda is slightly unstable. When a Mentos dissolves, it causes a chemical reaction that makes the C02 want to separate from the soda, forcing it to shoot violently out of the bottle. For this experiment to work you have to use diet soda because regular sugary soda doesn’t react this way.
Now you know a couple of cool science experiments to perform. Wow! Science is messy!