UPDATE: 9/1 Catching Fire is now available for sale, but you can take a sneak peak at the first two chapters here.
From Publishers Weekly comes the first news about the next Hunger Games book (for ages 12 and up)! I can’t wait!
We still have no details about the book itself, other than the cover and the title, but that was plenty to get Jessica and me speculating about what will happen! Even though we work at Scholastic, we are not among the lucky people who get to read the manuscript, so we are left guessing like everyone else.
But the title gives some good clues to work with, doesn’t it? We have lots of ideas:
1) “Fire” could represent Katniss, as in the “girl on fire,” and she does something to anger the Capitol so they are trying to catch her. Maybe she refuses to be a coach in the next Hunger Games and runs away or something.
2) Or maybe it is Gale and Peeta who are trying to catch her and win her love. Maybe we will find out who Katniss is really in love with.
3) Or maybe there is a grassroots revolution against the Capitol and it is starting catch on in a big way — spreading like wildfire, so to speak.
4) Or maybe the arena for the next Hunger Games has a volcano in it, or the tributes have to fight fire in some way to survive. Kind of a twisted homage to Katniss, last year’s winner.
5) Or President Snow has a secret assassination plot against Katniss involving fire. He will make it look like an accident if her house catches fire or something.
6) Or maybe one of the tributes this time will have a superpower ability to start fires. She scores off the charts at training and all the other tributes try to catch her.
Click to See Larger
— Sonja, Scholastic.com Editor