You’ve either read all of your books, have no one to play the license plate game with, keep getting headaches while trying to read, or your parents can’t take any more of you asking, “Are we there yet?” You’ll want to check out my next five picks for the ultimate boredom busters for the car (or bus or plane or anywhere you find yourself bored — school not included).
The All New Captain Underpants Extra-Crunchy Book O’ Fun 2 by Dav Pilkey
- Get ready to laugh your pants off, giggle profusely, and hoot at the hilarious antics of Captain Underpants.
- This isn’t just any book. This book is filled with crossword puzzles, word finds, mazes, and more.
- Plus, learn how to draw your favorite characters, tell cheesy jokes, and even make your own silly Captain Underpants story!
- But that’s not all! You get a brand-new 56-page comic called The Night of the Terror of the Revenge of the Curse of the Bride of Hairy Potty, featuring Captain Underpants, Super Diaper Baby, and Diaper Dog!
Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? Word Search by John Samson
- If you love word searches and you think you’re smarter than the average 5th grader, then you’ll want to try out these challenging — or maybe not so challenging — word searches.
- Filled with word searches even the smartest genius might not be able to solve!
- Will you be saying, “I’m smarter than a 5th grader — at word searches!”?
Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? Crossword Puzzles by John Samson
- After you’re done testing out your word search skills, try your hand and brain at crossword puzzles.
- From 1st-grade science to 3rd-grade math to 5th-grade social studies, test out your knowledge with these tricky puzzles!
- These puzzles would even leave the brainiest kid in your class scratching his or her head.
Road Trip Trivia: A Big Book of Backseat Brainteasers by the editors of Klutz
- Get ready for the best goofball trivia ever!
- Put your thinking cap on and get ready to reflect on questions like: Does pondering useless information make the miles fly? Do bedbugs bark? (Answers: Yes and, believe it or not, yes.)
- Stump your parents with pages and pages of ridiculous trivia.
Secret Language of Birthdays by Gary Goldschneider
- Do you ever wonder whether the day you were born determined your personality or the way you do certain things? Time to find out!
- This book describes in detail the characteristics and quirks of personality associated with being born on a particular day of the year.
- Learn which famous personalities share your birthday.
- Discover and realize your strengths and weaknesses.
- Find out what makes your family, friends, and favorite celebrities tick just by knowing their birthdays!
Those are my choices for some quick boredom solutions. What books, puzzles, and activities do you like to do on the road?
— Carly M., STACKS Staffer