Have you ever noticed that the way people talk changes over time? Words that used to be popular start to sound annoying after a while, and new words that you never heard of before start to sound cool and fun. So today’s Writing Prompt is a question for you. What was the most popular new word of 2013? Continue reading
Do you have a winter coat that doesn’t fit you anymore? Don’t throw it away! Donate it to the Warm Coats Warm Hearts Drive, a campaign that is giving away free coats to families who need them. Here is a great way to bring some warmth into someone’s life AND recycle at the same time, making the world a better place in 2 ways!
New or gently used coats (must have working closures, and no rips or stains)
Now through January 20, 2014
The Customer Service Desk at any Burlington Coat Factory store will take your donations, but other organizations in your community may also be collecting coats. Ask your parents, teachers, or youth group leaders if they know.
Go check the back of your closet to see if you have coats that you won’t be wearing this winter. Or you could go one step further — organize a coat drive and get everyone in your school to donate their coats. Someone can definitely use them this winter!
BabyCenter announced the top 10 most popular baby names of 2013 for boys and girls. Sophia is number 1 for the girls, and Jackson is number 1 for the boys. Look at the lists below and see if YOUR name is among the most popular of 2013. And click here to find out the meanings of the most popular names.
Leave a Comment and tell us YOUR favorite baby name for girls or boys.
I love food so much! Seriously, books and food are the best things in life. That’s why I hate when I have to choose between 2 delicious foods. How do you decide? Take this Would You Rather Quiz and let us know your food faves.
- Cake OR ice cream?
- Chocolate OR vanilla?
- Potato chips OR popcorn?
- Bring your lunch OR eat cafeteria food?
- Waffles OR pancakes?
- Muffins OR cinnamon rolls?
- Do you sit down for breakfast OR grab something and run out the door?
- Eat in a restaurant OR take out?
- Fast food OR fancy restaurant?
- Pizza OR mac and cheese?
- Baked from scratch OR bought from a bakery?
- Milkshake OR smoothie?
- Wings OR nachos?
- 50 lbs of french fries OR 50 lbs of potato chips?
Leave your answers in the Comments, and I hope you all get to eat loads of your favorite foods!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
A set of 20 Harry Potter stamps is now available at post offices all across the U.S. Think of all the things you could do with them!
- Decorate your locker or notebooks.
- Paste them onto wooden sticks and make Harry Potter paper dolls. Then reenact all your favorite scenes.
- Add them to the Harry Potter shrine currently set up in your room.
- Send Hogwarts letters to your friends! (“We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.”)
- Send YOURSELF a Hogwarts letter (because you know you want one, and wouldn’t it be a secret thrill to actually get one via Muggle post with a Harry Potter stamp on it??)
- Or you could just send, you know, holiday cards.
Tell us in the Comments which one is your favorite, if it’s even possible to have a favorite, and what you would do with your Harry Potter postage stamps.
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
If you don’t know about the great South African president Nelson Mandela, who died yesterday at age 95, you should read about him. He is my personal hero and a hero to many people around the world. Even President Obama loved him. “I am one of the countless millions who drew inspiration from Nelson Mandela’s life,” President Obama said on Thursday. “I cannot fully imagine my own life without the example that Nelson Mandela set.”
In 1964, when Mandela complained publicly about the system of racial prejudice (called apartheid) in South Africa, he was accused of trying to overthrow the government. He spent the next 27 years in prison. In 1990, he was released from prison, and in 1994, he became the country’s first black president ending apartheid forever.
Thank you, Nelson Mandela, for helping South Africa to rise, and for inspiring every person in the world to rise with you.
–Sonja, STACKS Staffer
Image credit Kadir Nelson from the book Nelson Mandela
Fall is the perfect time for an outdoor nature walk. It’s also a perfect time for an indoor craft session. This Pine Cone Owl craft comes courtesy of the Scholastic Teachers site, and combines both in one happy, autumn craft. You can take a nature walk to gather the pine cones or buy them at a craft supplies store.
- 1 large pine cone
- Cotton balls
- Googly eyes
- Orange construction paper
- Gently pull apart a few cotton balls to make them fluffy.
- Stuff pieces of cotton into the grooves of the pine cone.
- Near the top of the pine cone, glue on two googly eyes.
- Fold a piece of orange construction paper in half, and cut a triangle on the crease. Glue it onto the owl, below the eyes, for the owl’s beak.
- Glue a few feathers on the sides of the owl and on its head.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
Which season best represents YOUR personality? Last week, Desertchief gave you a Season Personality Quiz to determine if you a winter, spring, summer, or fall person. Okay, now we will do the results.
If you picked mostly A’s: You are a WINTER kind of person!
From unwrapping presents to snowboarding, you have the winter spirit! You love cold days and you
are attracted to colors like blue, gray, and white. Try painting your room with cool, winter colors so you can capture winter all year long!
If you picked mostly B’s: You are a SPRING kind of person!
From having a picnic to sniffing flowers (Make sure you don’t have an allergy!), you are the spring kind of person! You love warm days and you are attracted to colors like green, light red, and light pink. Put some plants in your room so you can capture spring all year long!
If you picked mostly C’s: You are a SUMMER kind of person!
From swimming in the pool to hanging out with pals, you are a summer lover! You love hot days
and you are attracted to colors like dark red, gold, and dark pink. Turn the heat up and wear shorts all year long!
If you picked mostly D’s: You are a FALL kind of person!
From hanging jack-o-lanterns to making a scarecrow, you are a fall person at heart! You love chilly days and you are attracted to colors like brown, orange, and yellow. Get a cozy earth-toned blanket for your bed so you can capture fall all year long!
What do you think? Does this quiz describe your personality? It’s funny. My favorite season is summer, but I have a winter personality. How does that work?
I make no secret of my love for Ross Lynch (Austin & Ally, R5, Teen Beach Movie), but today I am super-excited because we have interviews from the entire awesome cast of Austin & Ally: Laura Marano, Raini Rodriguez, Calum Worthy, and Ross Lynch. There is a definite Harry Potter theme, but I was floored when I found out that one of these actors actually auditioned (and was rejected) for a major role in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone! Read the interview to find out who!
Laura: I have way too many! Ross and I were filming this PSA and we were running and jumping on this log. Ross jumps perfectly and then I jump and fall right on my face on the ground. Everyone was like, “Laura, are you OK?” and I said “Yeah, I’m fine. Let’s do it again,” and they were like, “We’re never letting you do that again!” It was so embarrassing.
Desertchief19 created a Personality Quiz to determine which season you are most like. Answer these questions and come back next week to find out your results.
1. What are your favorite colors? A) Gray, dark blue, and white. B) Green, light red, and light pink. C) Dark red, gold, and dark pink\salmon pink. D) Brown, orange, and yellow.
2. What is your favorite holiday? A) Christmas! Hanukkah! I love unwrapping presents and watching snow fall. B) Easter! Passover! C) Uhh . . . does the last day of school count? I just can’t wait to have some fun in the sun! D) Halloween! It’s a delight to eat candy and hear the sound of leaves scrunching under my feet.
3. Which activity sounds most fun to you? A) Ice skating. B) Having a picnic with friends. C) Swimming in the cool ocean at the beach. D) Helping cook a big feast for Thanksgiving.
4. What drink sounds most delicious? A) Hot cocoa. B) Water. C) A milkshake. D) Ehh . . . I’m not that into drinks.
5. Which days do you like best? A) Snowy days! B) Warm days (but not too warm!) C) Hot days (maybe with some rain). D) Chilly days with lots of colorful leaves on the ground.