July 28, 2014
Celebrate Harry Potter’s birthday with us all week long!
Hey, everyone! Welcome to the happiest week of the year (except maybe Christmas or the first week of school): Harry Potter Week! To celebrate Harry’s birthday, we will be featuring Harry Potter on the blog all week long . . . AND having a live readathon/ virtual birthday party on Thursday, July 31. Please come if you can and bring a friend. You’re TOTALLY invited!
Let’s start the week with this Writing Prompt from Skyelark Moon on the Harry Potter Message Boards who is obviously a fan of the Harry Potter series, as you can tell from this question . . .
**Spoilers from ALL the books follow!**
- The Philosopher’s Stone (a.k.a. The Sorcerer’s Stone): I have always loved the scene in Diagon Ally especially when Harry is in Ollivanders. Something about it is so . . . magical.
- The Chamber of Secrets: The moment when Harry and Ron are figuring out the secret to the Chamber of Secrets has always been one of my favorite parts. I love mysteries, so this was a great part to me.
- The Prisoner of Azkaban: I love the chapter “Cat, Rat, and Dog.” The Marauders are some of my favorite characters, and seeing them interact with each other is fantastic.
- The Goblet of Fire: I have always liked the section in between the first and second tasks: namely the scene where Harry opens the egg in the water.
- The Order of the Phoenix: The Room of Requirement is one of my favorite places in Hogwarts, so naturally all of the Dumbledore’s Army parts are my favorite.
- The Half-Blood Prince: I really like the part when Harry first uses the Half-Blood Prince’s book to brew the Draught of Living Death.
- The Deathly Hallows: I love the ending of The Deathly Hallows, especially when they seem to be figuring out where all the Horcruxes are. As I mentioned previously, I really love mysteries, so this part was great, in my opinion.
Skyelark Moon, who really wants to read Harry Potter right now, but she can’t.
Leave your answers in the Comments and mark your calendars for the readathon on Thursday!
Harry Potter illustration by Mary GrandPré
July 23, 2014
Have you read these Scholastic fantasy books?
The July Fantasy Books Festival continues! Today, we will be highlighting some of the newest Scholastic fantasy books. As you know, Scholastic has published LOTS of amazing fantasy book series such as Harry Potter, the Ink trilogy, Guardians of Ga’Hoole, and, like, a thousand others. Here are just 3 of the fantasy books we are excited about right now:
Wings of Fire: The Dragonet Prophecy
The seven dragon tribes have been at war for generations, locked in an endless battle over an ancient, lost treasure. A secret movement called the Talons of Peace is determined to bring an end to the fighting with the help of a prophecy — and five dragonets are collected to fulfill it.
Read Chapter 1
Watch the video
Enter the thrilling world of Wormwood, a village surrounded by danger and built on lies. Only young Vega Jane has the courage to probe Wormwood’s dark secrets . . . and face the consequences of what comes to light.
Read Chapter 1
Watch the video
Spirit Animals: Wild Born
In the world of Erdas, four children are about to discover if they have a spirit animal bond, a rare link between human and beast that gives great powers to both. Separated by vast distances, Conor, Abeke, Meilin, and Rollan each see a flash of light . . . and then the animals emerge.
Read Chapter 1
Watch the video
So fun, right? Please come to the live readathon on July 31 and tell us what fantasy books you are excited about right now.
July 21, 2014
Random Would You Rather
Here is a Random Would You Rather from the fabuloso STACKer EarlyFairy3. Leave your answers in the Comments!
- Would you rather kiss a snail OR a frog?
- Would you rather be a successful movie star OR a well-known smart person?
- Would you rather go to the supermarket OR to the mall?
- Would you rather watch the sunset OR the sunrise?
- Would you rather do well in math OR in music?
- Would you rather be a dog OR a cat?
\ Thx, EarlyFairy3
July 18, 2014
Superheroes come in all sizes in the movie Antboy (rated PG).
Ordinary, overlooked, 12-year-old Pelle (played by Oscar Dietz) is transformed into an extraordinary superhero after he is bitten by a super-ant and inherits its abilities. Overnight, the boy whom nobody noticed becomes a local hero dubbed “Antboy.” With the help of his sidekick, Wilhelm, climbing walls, flipping cars, stopping robbers, and saving babies all become part of his new dream life. But all this changes when super-villain “The Flea” kidnaps a pretty girl from Pelle’s school. Antboy, Wilhelm, and the missing girl’s sister Ida must fight this treacherous evil, rescue the damsel in distress, save the town from a super-villain, and be home in time for dinner.
Here is the Antboy himself, Oscar Dietz, to tell you what it was like making this movie. Continue reading
July 17, 2014
Michael Strahan will host Kids’ Choice Sports 2014 on Thursday, July 17 at 8 p.m. ET/PT.
Legendary Super Bowl champion and Fox NFL Sunday analyst Michael Strahan will host one of the biggest sports celebrations for kids, the first ever Kids’ Choice Sports 2014 show on Nickelodeon. We talked to the former New York Giant about sports, his favorite athletes, and who will get slimed! Read on. Continue reading
July 14, 2014
Summer Vacation Would You Rather
It’s finally summer! Do you have wonderful plans to celebrate and have a great time on vacation? Think about these questions and leave your answers in the Comments.
Would you rather . . .
- Go away with your family OR friends?
- Educational trip OR fun trip?
- Safari OR boat cruise?
- Road trip OR Let’s just fly and get there already?
- Play games in the car to pass the time? OR just sleep?
- Somewhere tropical OR I don’t care as long as it’s not home?
- Disney World OR Six Flags?
- Horseback riding in Wyoming OR surfing in California?
- Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco OR Statue of Liberty in New York?
- Rodeo in Texas OR jet ski in South Carolina?
- Camp in the rain forest in South America OR the Sahara desert in Africa?
- The coast of Maine OR the Canadian Rockies?
- The Australian bush OR the Caribbean island of St. John?
- The Great Wall of China OR the Pyramids of Egypt?
- Yellowstone National Park OR Everglades National Park?
- Water park OR ocean?
- Aquarium OR drive-through safari?
- Botanical garden OR zoo?
- Stay in touch with a friend you met on vacation OR long-distance relationships don’t work?
- What’s the best part of staying at a hotel? The tiny bottles of shampoo OR room service?
- Wander around the hotel to see what it looks like OR head straight for the pool?
- Go out to dinner at a fancy restaurant OR stay in for room service?
- Take a lot of pictures OR just enjoy the sights?
- Always go to the same place OR somewhere different?
- Family vacations are the best OR Get me home already?
June 26, 2014
Find some new friends on the STACKS!
Check out the Q&A below and answer all (or some) of the questions from ForestWolf9!
- What’s your favorite snack?
- How long have you been on the STACKS?
- What are your hobbies?
- Have you been to a different country (or countries)? Which ones?
- What are your favorite books?
- What are your favorite movies?
- What’s your favorite funny TV ad?
- Have you ever tried to act like your favorite character from your favorite book/movie (copied his or her hair or makeup or stole his or her catchphrase)?
That’s it for today! Ta-ta!
PS. Get to know more STACKers on the STACK Back Message Board.
June 25, 2014
Grimmtastic Girls Series
In faraway Grimmlandia, there’s one place you have to visit: Grimm Academy. All the coolest fairy tale characters go to school there, from Cinda (a.k.a. Cinderella) and Red (Red Riding Hood, of course!) to Rapunzel and Snow White (but you can call her Snow). The Grimm brothers founded the realm of Grimmlandia and built Grimm Academy long ago to help protect all fairy tale and storybook characters from the wicked E.V.I.L. Society.
Cinda and her friends go to classes (like Bespellings) and to the library (to check out magical objects), but when they hear the E.V.I.L. Society is back in business and making trouble for Grimm Academy, they’ll have to stick together to save their school, even if it means entering Neverwood Forest where even the bravest of fairy tale characters never would go. Want to learn more?
Check out this exclusive excerpt from Chapter 1 of Book 1: Cinderella Stays Late and catch up on all the adventures at Grimm Academy!
June 18, 2014
After the fun of last month’s Funny Books Fiesta, we are enjoying a new STACKS summer reading celebration: the Fantasy Books Festival! Have you ever wished for a Hogwarts letter to come to your house? Have you ever looked inside a wardrobe to see if it’s really a door into another world? Have you ever wondered if your real father is a god from Greek mythology? If so, then you should join us for the Fantasy Books Festival in July. We know just how you feel!
Here is the schedule of events:
Favorite Fantasy Books July 2
Fantasy Guess the Book July 9
Fantasy Who Would Win July 16
Harry Potter Week July 28- 31
Readathon/Harry Potter birthday celebration! July 31 Noon -4 pm E.T. RSVP here!
To get started, tell us your favorite fantasy book in the Comments.
June 13, 2014
“Help Not Wanted” Exclusive Jessie Preview
Jessie is in need of some extra money to buy a special gift for her dad’s birthday. She accepts a job at Empire Skate Building only to find out that Emma is her boss, in a new episode of Jessie premiering tonight, Friday June 13 (8:00 p.m. ET/PT) on Disney Channel.
Image credit DISNEY CHANNEL/Eric McCandless
The STACKS got our hands on this EXCLUSIVE photo from tonight’s episode, AND this exclusive Q&A with a few of the stars!
Q: If you weren’t an actor and could be anything in the world, what would you be?
Peyton List: I would be a set designer. I’m adventurous, inquisitive, and curious. I have a very creative and imaginative mind. I love to conceptualize a certain theme in my head and work towards bringing that idea to life.
Skai Jackson: I would be a fashion designer because I love creating new looks and also making clothes. It’s my passion.
Karan Brar: If I wasn’t an actor and I could be anything in the world I would probably be a baker! I know it sounds kind of odd but I have a big sweet tooth and I love cake!
Cameron Boyce: If I could be anything, I’d be a Los Angeles Laker. I’ve loved basketball and especially the Lakers my whole life. I’ve actually played on the floor at Staples Center for a charity celebrity game. I couldn’t stop talking about it afterwards. I’m 15 years old and I still play in my driveway and shoot before the clock in my head runs out.
Will you be watching the new episode of Jessie tonight? Leave a comment!