November 27, 2014
Read the answers to our Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz.
To get you in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I posted a Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz! Did you gobble up the questions, and spit out the answers? Or did it give you indigestion? (I hope not!) Without further ado, check out the answers below:
Photo by Sachyn Mital
- Which city is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade held in? ANSWER: New York City. It starts at 77th St./Central Park West and ends at 34th St. in front of Macy’s . . . (of course).
- Who is always on the LAST float in the parade? ANSWER: B) Santa Claus! Every year since 1924 Santa and Mrs. Claus close the parade.
- Which book character will be a balloon in the 2014 parade? ANSWER: A) Greg Heffley! Although I would like to see Slappy one year . . .
- Macy’s symbol is a red _________. ANSWER: Star.
- The Radio City _________ also perform a famous holiday dance number in the parade. ANSWER: Radio City Rockettes.
- Which character has never been a balloon in the parade? ANSWER: D) Elsa from Frozen. Although Idina Menzel (the actress who does Elsa’s voice) is set to perform this year!
- Which float has been in the parade for 40 years straight? ANSWER: A) Sesame Street!
- In 1997, several balloons had to come down due to high winds and safety concerns during the parade. Which balloon caused the most serious damage? ANSWER: A) The Cat in the Hat. The balloon was as tall as a 6-story building, and was careening out of control before it crashed into and broke the arm off a lamp post at 72nd St. Those winds can be hazardous!
Hope you enjoy the parade and turkey today! Gobble, gobble.
Ratha, Stacks Writer
November 24, 2014
Take the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz!
Thanksgiving Day just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving Day without the one and only… Macy’s Parade! I just love getting up, staying in my pj’s, and planting myself right in front of the TV to watch the parade, floats, and music acts. It makes it feel like the holidays are totally, really, officially here.
Originally known as Macy’s Christmas Parade, the Thanksgiving Day Parade was started by Macy’s employees. Many of them were first generation immigrants, and proud of their new American heritage, and they wanted to celebrate with the type of festivals they had in Europe. It featured floats, bands, and animals from the Central Park Zoo! It was such a success they decided to make it an annual event. But it wasn’t until 1927 that the first giant inflatable balloon debuted. Can you guess what it was? Felix the Cat.
Feel the need to march to the beat of more parade trivia? Then check out our Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz:
- Which city is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade held in?
- Who is always on the LAST float in the parade? A) Darth Vader. B) Santa Claus. C) An elf. D) A really cute boy band singer.
- Which book character will be a balloon in the 2014 parade? A) Greg Heffley from Diary of a Wimpy Kid. B) Geronimo Stilton. C) Poseidon from Percy Jackson. D) Slappy the Evil Dummy from Goosebumps.
- Macy’s symbol is a red _________. Hint: It’s a shape and also a balloon.
- The Radio City _________ also perform a famous holiday dance number in the parade. Hint: They are known for lot of high leg-kicks!
- Which character has never been a balloon in the parade? A) The Pillsbury Doughboy. B) Sonic the Hedgehog. C) The Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz. D) Elsa from Frozen.
- Which float has been in the parade for 40 years straight? A) Sesame Street. B) The Smurfs. C) Dancing kangaroos. D) Mount Rushmore’s American Pride.
- In 1997, several balloons had to come down due to high winds and safety concerns during the parade. Which balloon caused the most serious damage? A) The Cat in the Hat. B) Superman. C) Hello Kitty. D) Buzz Lightyear.
- Which character would YOU would like to see as a balloon in this year’s parade? Wouldn’t it be cool to see some of your favorite book characters come to life? I would love to see Harry Potter . . . or Voldemort! (He could fire spells and smoke at the spectators!)
Gobble up, and leave your answers in the Comments below. Click here for the answers!
– Ratha, Stacks Writer
November 4, 2014
Girl Meets World Would You Rather
We recently interviewed Rowan Blanchard and Sabrina Carpenter from the Disney Channel show Girl Meets World, and judging from your Comments, we know you can’t get enough!
I used to love the show Boy Meets World which featured Riley’s parents Corey and Topanga as kids, and now I love Girl Meets World just as much. It follows Corey and Topanga’s daughter, Riley who is in 7th grade, and her best friend Maya. Riley is funky and artistic, but also very academic. Maya is more street-smart, pretty, and popular. Like Boy Meets World, it has a good story with a bit of a lesson at the end. Are you guys hooked? Then get ready to meet . . .Girl Meets World Would You Rather!
Inspired by the show, would you rather . . . Continue reading
October 6, 2014
Writing Prompt: What’s Your Best Good Deed?
Recently, I came across these awesome quotes that really made me think:
“The time is always right to do the right thing.” (Martin Luther King Jr.)
“We ARE what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” (Aristotle, the ancient Greek philosopher)
“You cannot do a kindness too soon, because you do not know when it will be too late.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson, the famous American author)
“One person can make a difference. And everyone should try.” (President John F. Kennedy)
Heavy stuff, huh?
How have YOU made a difference? Maybe you’ve stuck up for someone getting bullied, or helped an injured animal, or done something kind that no one will ever even know about. We want to know for today’s Writing Prompt:
What is your best good deed?
Reveal yours in the Comments below!
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
October 3, 2014
Star Wars Rebels: Invading Disney XD in October!
Star Wars fans, this one’s for YOU. Did you ever wonder what happened after Anakin turned into Darth Vader . . .but before Luke grew up and became a Jedi and battled him? Well, wonder no more because the new Disney XD series, Star Wars Rebels, is about to answer some questions!
Set 14 years after Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (when Anakin becomes Darth Vader) and 5 years before Episode IV: A New Hope (when Luke becomes a Jedi), the new series tells the story of the rebellion’s beginnings. A mismatched group of rebels band together aboard a ship called “Ghost” and try to fight the evil Empire which is rising to power. Continue reading
September 22, 2014
Writing Prompt: What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
Ink Splotters, it’s time to channel your deep inner-selves.
Take a deep breath.
Forget all of your worries and fears.
And let your mind go free.
For today’s Writing Prompt, we want to know . . .
What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?
Would it be something with a future career? Sports? Talking to your crush? Fixing the world? A fear you want to conquer? A person you’d want to help? If you knew it would all work out perfectly, what would you try to do?
Let it out . . . let it all out! This is your forum, so don’t be afraid to tell us. Live without fear. There is no way you can fail! Leave your answers in the Comments below. Sometimes seeing the words written out is the first step toward making it happen!
—Ratha, STACKS Writer
September 16, 2014
Would You Rather Be Hermione Granger?
If you are a Harry Potter fan, then you know that Hermione has been in some very scary situations. Since September 19th is Hermione’s birthday, we’re celebrating with today’s Would You Rather quiz. So raise a glass of butterbeer, and get your wands ready to answer the following questions inspired by Hermione’s adventures!
Would You Rather . . .
- Fight a mountain troll OR a Dementor?
- Go to the Yule Ball with Victor Krum OR Ron Weasley?
- Be the smartest kid in the class like Hermione OR the “chosen one” like Harry?
- Have a cat like Crookshanks OR a rat like Scabbers?
- Be in Ravenclaw OR Hufflepuff? (If you couldn’t be in Gryffindor!)
- Learn spells from Hermione OR learn practical jokes from Fred & George?
- Use a Time-Turner to take extra classes OR just take the normal amount of classes?
- Have a scar on your forehead OR crazy-frizzy hair?
- See Hermione marry Ron OR see Hermione marry Harry? (even J. K. Rowling has mixed feelings on this one!)
Leave your answers (and birthday wishes to Hermione!) in the Comments below!
Ratha, STACKS Writer
September 9, 2014
Personality Quiz: What Is Your Fashion Style?
- What would you wear to a birthday party? A) The outfit you saw Selena Gomez wear to the Kids Choice Awards. B) A cool Under Armour shirt. C) A collared shirt and khakis. D) A glittery shirt you embellished yourself. E) A t-shirt and jeans. Continue reading
September 8, 2014
Writing Prompt: Your biggest fashion disaster . . . or worst outfit your parents made you wear?
Back-to-school means showing your fashion style. But do your parents offer a few friendly “suggestions” on what to wear? We know sometimes this can end in disaster . . . and sometimes a great story!
My mom made me wear itchy wool skirts and sweaters to school and they were SO uncomfortable! It got so bad I started wearing tights and shorts under them to relieve the itch. Let’s just say it was not a pretty sight!
What about you guys? Something mismatched? Something that ripped apart in front of your classmates (gasp!)? For today’s Writing Prompt, we want to know . . .
You know where to leave the answers . . . in the Comments below. Can’t wait to read all your stories!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
September 2, 2014
Writing Prompt: How does reading open your world and make new things possible?
Scholastic has a new mission about the power of books and reading called Open a World of Possible. Did you ever feel pulled into the pages of a book you were reading? Like that book . . . or a combination of all the books you read . . . turned you into a different person?
Reading can change our lives. It can be magical. We can get lost in the pages of a good book. It can open our eyes to people and situations we never knew. It can make us laugh. Pass hours of boredom away. Make us want to right the wrongs in the world. Make us want to create our own adventures. Help us to grow up. Or help us be a kid just a little longer.
So for today’s Writing Prompt, we want to know:
How does reading open your world and make new things possible?
Watch these Open a World of Possible videos for inspiration and let us know how reading has shaped your life. Can’t wait to see your responses in the Comments below.
-Ratha, Stacks Writer