January 9, 2015
Top 10 Snape Quotes
Happy Birthday to one of the meanest professors of all time: Severus Snape. January 9 is Professor Snape’s birthday, and to celebrate, here is a list of my top 10 favorite Snape quotes (as written by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling). Here they are in chronological order . . .
- “I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren’t as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach.” (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
- “Tut,tut . . . Fame clearly isn’t everything.” (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
- “That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger,” said Snape coolly. “Five more points from Gryffindor for being an insufferable know-it-all.” (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)
- Well, I think I had better separate the three of you, so you can keep your minds on your potions rather than on your tangled love lives.” (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
- “Potter, when I want nonsense shouted at me I shall give you a Babbling Beverage. And Crabbe, loosen your hold a little, if Longbottom suffocates it will mean a lot of tedious paperwork, and I am afraid I shall have to mention it on your reference if ever you apply for a job.” (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
- Umbridge: You applied first for the Defense Against the Dark Arts post. Is that correct?
Umbridge: But you were unsuccessful?
Snape: Obviously. (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
- “You and Black, you’re two of a kind, sentimental children forever whining about how bitterly unfair your lives have been. Well, it may have escaped your notice, but life isn’t fair.” (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
- “You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them!” (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince)
Warner Bros. Pictures
- “Mr. Potter…” (pretty much all of the books!!!)
Gotta love his sarcasm. Do you see any of your favorites on the list? Or let us know your own in the Comments below!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
January 1, 2015
Baby Names ANSWERS: What’s Hot and What’s Not in 2014!
Last week we posted 2014 Baby Names Trivia. How did you do? Check out the answers below!
- Which Frozen character name shot up 29% this year? A) Olaf. B) Bulda. C) Elsa. D) Kristoff. ANSWER: Elsa . . . of course! Hans also was up 19%, but Elsa still beat him out.
- Which is NOT one of the top 3 girls’ names of 2014? A) Olivia. B) Sophia. C) Josephine. D) Emma. ANSWER: Josephine.
- Which city or borough would you rather be named after – Denver OR Bronx? Both were popular names in 2014! ANSWER: It’s up to you!
- Which name was NOT new to the girls top 100 list this year? A) Cora. B) Piper. C) Paisley. D) Clara. E) Ava. F) Cadence. ANSWER: Ava was not new. (It’s #4.) However, check out these new additions: Cora is #92. Piper is #94. Paisley is #96. Clara is #99. Cadence is #100.
- The names Easton, Xander, and Ryder are all new to the top 100 boys’ names this year. TRUE or FALSE? ANSWER: TRUE. Welcome aboard, guys!
- These boys’ names fell in popularity this year, and may soon be making their exit from the top 100. Which would YOU pick to be named before they fall of the list? Brayden (down 19 spots to #45) Chase (down 17 to #86) Colin (down 11 to #89) Zachary (down 9 to #67) ANSWER: Up to you! Personally, I love them all!
- Which “Fancy” Australian rapper’s real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly? Her names shot up on the popularity charts in 2014! ANSWER: Iggy Azalea. Iggy gained 75% in boys’ names, and Amethyst was up 55%!
- These names all fell OUT of the top 100 names this year: Bentley, Riley, Mateo, Jake, Ruby, Taylor. TRUE or FALSE? ANSWER: TRUE! Hard to believe, right? Maybe they’ll make a comeback.
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
December 30, 2014
Baby Names: What’s Hot and What’s Not in 2014!
Now that the year is winding down, the polls are closing on the most popular baby names from 2014. Not too much has changed since last year’s Top Baby Names. For example the girls’ #1 name is still Sophia, and boys’ #1 is Jackson. But there are some new entries into the top 100 list . . . and there are some names that didn’t make the list this year! How name savvy are you? Check out our Baby Names Trivia below . . .
- Which Frozen character’s name shot up 29% this year? A) Olaf. B) Bulda. C) Elsa. D) Kristoff.
- Which is NOT one of the top 3 girls’ names of 2014? A) Olivia. B) Sophia. C) Josephine. D) Emma.
- Which city or borough would you rather be named after – Denver OR Bronx? Both were popular names in 2014!
- Which name was NOT new to the top 100 girls’ names list this year? A) Cora. B) Piper. C) Paisley. D) Clara. E) Ava. F) Cadence.
- The names Easton, Xander, and Ryder are all new to the top 100 boys’ names this year. TRUE or FALSE?
- These boys’ names fell in popularity this year, and may soon be making their exit from the top 100 – boo. Which would YOU pick to be named before they fall of the list? (Personally, I love them all!) Brayden (down 19 spots to #45) Chase (down 17 to #86) Colin (down 11 to #89) Zachary (down 9 to #67)
- Which “Fancy” Australian rapper’s real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly? Her names shot up on the popularity charts in 2014!
- These names all fell OUT of the top 100 baby names this year: Bentley, Riley, Mateo, Jake, Ruby, Taylor. TRUE or FALSE?
NAME your answers in the Comments below, and click here for the answers!
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
November 27, 2014
Read the answers to our Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz.
To get you in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I posted a Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz! Did you gobble up the questions, and spit out the answers? Or did it give you indigestion? (I hope not!) Without further ado, check out the answers below:
Photo by Sachyn Mital
- Which city is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade held in? ANSWER: New York City. It starts at 77th St./Central Park West and ends at 34th St. in front of Macy’s . . . (of course).
- Who is always on the LAST float in the parade? ANSWER: B) Santa Claus! Every year since 1924 Santa and Mrs. Claus close the parade.
- Which book character will be a balloon in the 2014 parade? ANSWER: A) Greg Heffley! Although I would like to see Slappy one year . . .
- Macy’s symbol is a red _________. ANSWER: Star.
- The Radio City _________ also perform a famous holiday dance number in the parade. ANSWER: Radio City Rockettes.
- Which character has never been a balloon in the parade? ANSWER: D) Elsa from Frozen. Although Idina Menzel (the actress who does Elsa’s voice) is set to perform this year!
- Which float has been in the parade for 40 years straight? ANSWER: A) Sesame Street!
- In 1997, several balloons had to come down due to high winds and safety concerns during the parade. Which balloon caused the most serious damage? ANSWER: A) The Cat in the Hat. The balloon was as tall as a 6-story building, and was careening out of control before it crashed into and broke the arm off a lamp post at 72nd St. Those winds can be hazardous!
Hope you enjoy the parade and turkey today! Gobble, gobble.
Ratha, Stacks Writer
November 24, 2014
Take the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz!
Thanksgiving Day just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving Day without the one and only… Macy’s Parade! I just love getting up, staying in my pj’s, and planting myself right in front of the TV to watch the parade, floats, and music acts. It makes it feel like the holidays are totally, really, officially here.
Originally known as Macy’s Christmas Parade, the Thanksgiving Day Parade was started by Macy’s employees. Many of them were first generation immigrants, and proud of their new American heritage, and they wanted to celebrate with the type of festivals they had in Europe. It featured floats, bands, and animals from the Central Park Zoo! It was such a success they decided to make it an annual event. But it wasn’t until 1927 that the first giant inflatable balloon debuted. Can you guess what it was? Felix the Cat.
Feel the need to march to the beat of more parade trivia? Then check out our Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz:
- Which city is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade held in?
- Who is always on the LAST float in the parade? A) Darth Vader. B) Santa Claus. C) An elf. D) A really cute boy band singer.
- Which book character will be a balloon in the 2014 parade? A) Greg Heffley from Diary of a Wimpy Kid. B) Geronimo Stilton. C) Poseidon from Percy Jackson. D) Slappy the Evil Dummy from Goosebumps.
- Macy’s symbol is a red _________. Hint: It’s a shape and also a balloon.
- The Radio City _________ also perform a famous holiday dance number in the parade. Hint: They are known for lot of high leg-kicks!
- Which character has never been a balloon in the parade? A) The Pillsbury Doughboy. B) Sonic the Hedgehog. C) The Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz. D) Elsa from Frozen.
- Which float has been in the parade for 40 years straight? A) Sesame Street. B) The Smurfs. C) Dancing kangaroos. D) Mount Rushmore’s American Pride.
- In 1997, several balloons had to come down due to high winds and safety concerns during the parade. Which balloon caused the most serious damage? A) The Cat in the Hat. B) Superman. C) Hello Kitty. D) Buzz Lightyear.
- Which character would YOU would like to see as a balloon in this year’s parade? Wouldn’t it be cool to see some of your favorite book characters come to life? I would love to see Harry Potter . . . or Voldemort! (He could fire spells and smoke at the spectators!)
Gobble up, and leave your answers in the Comments below. Click here for the answers!
– Ratha, Stacks Writer
November 4, 2014
Girl Meets World Would You Rather
We recently interviewed Rowan Blanchard and Sabrina Carpenter from the Disney Channel show Girl Meets World, and judging from your Comments, we know you can’t get enough!
I used to love the show Boy Meets World which featured Riley’s parents Corey and Topanga as kids, and now I love Girl Meets World just as much. It follows Corey and Topanga’s daughter, Riley who is in 7th grade, and her best friend Maya. Riley is funky and artistic, but also very academic. Maya is more street-smart, pretty, and popular. Like Boy Meets World, it has a good story with a bit of a lesson at the end. Are you guys hooked? Then get ready to meet . . .Girl Meets World Would You Rather!
Inspired by the show, would you rather . . . Continue reading
October 6, 2014
Writing Prompt: What’s Your Best Good Deed?
Recently, I came across these awesome quotes that really made me think:
“The time is always right to do the right thing.” (Martin Luther King Jr.)
“We ARE what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.” (Aristotle, the ancient Greek philosopher)
“You cannot do a kindness too soon, because you do not know when it will be too late.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson, the famous American author)
“One person can make a difference. And everyone should try.” (President John F. Kennedy)
Heavy stuff, huh?
How have YOU made a difference? Maybe you’ve stuck up for someone getting bullied, or helped an injured animal, or done something kind that no one will ever even know about. We want to know for today’s Writing Prompt:
What is your best good deed?
Reveal yours in the Comments below!
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
October 3, 2014
Star Wars Rebels: Invading Disney XD in October!
Star Wars fans, this one’s for YOU. Did you ever wonder what happened after Anakin turned into Darth Vader . . .but before Luke grew up and became a Jedi and battled him? Well, wonder no more because the new Disney XD series, Star Wars Rebels, is about to answer some questions!
Set 14 years after Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (when Anakin becomes Darth Vader) and 5 years before Episode IV: A New Hope (when Luke becomes a Jedi), the new series tells the story of the rebellion’s beginnings. A mismatched group of rebels band together aboard a ship called “Ghost” and try to fight the evil Empire which is rising to power. Continue reading
September 22, 2014
Writing Prompt: What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
Ink Splotters, it’s time to channel your deep inner-selves.
Take a deep breath.
Forget all of your worries and fears.
And let your mind go free.
For today’s Writing Prompt, we want to know . . .
What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?
Would it be something with a future career? Sports? Talking to your crush? Fixing the world? A fear you want to conquer? A person you’d want to help? If you knew it would all work out perfectly, what would you try to do?
Let it out . . . let it all out! This is your forum, so don’t be afraid to tell us. Live without fear. There is no way you can fail! Leave your answers in the Comments below. Sometimes seeing the words written out is the first step toward making it happen!
—Ratha, STACKS Writer
September 16, 2014
Would You Rather Be Hermione Granger?
If you are a Harry Potter fan, then you know that Hermione has been in some very scary situations. Since September 19th is Hermione’s birthday, we’re celebrating with today’s Would You Rather quiz. So raise a glass of butterbeer, and get your wands ready to answer the following questions inspired by Hermione’s adventures!
Would You Rather . . .
- Fight a mountain troll OR a Dementor?
- Go to the Yule Ball with Victor Krum OR Ron Weasley?
- Be the smartest kid in the class like Hermione OR the “chosen one” like Harry?
- Have a cat like Crookshanks OR a rat like Scabbers?
- Be in Ravenclaw OR Hufflepuff? (If you couldn’t be in Gryffindor!)
- Learn spells from Hermione OR learn practical jokes from Fred & George?
- Use a Time-Turner to take extra classes OR just take the normal amount of classes?
- Have a scar on your forehead OR crazy-frizzy hair?
- See Hermione marry Ron OR see Hermione marry Harry? (even J. K. Rowling has mixed feelings on this one!)
Leave your answers (and birthday wishes to Hermione!) in the Comments below!
Ratha, STACKS Writer