February 24, 2015
Top Secret: K. C. Undercover Would You Rather
If you’re all shaken up Shake it Up is over, then you might need to check out Zendaya’s NEW Disney show that’s all the rage: K.C. Undercover.
K. C. (played by Zendaya) is an undercover spy in a family of undercover spies who go on secret government missions. She is a 16-year-old math genius spy in training (who can rock incredibly dangerous looking 3-inch sneaker high heels)! Her brother Ernie is a socially awkward, but lovable computer expert. And the family receives a new addition of a 10-year-old robot sister Judy. We’re still learning whose side she’s on. It’s pretty hilarious. The stories have a nice mix of capturing the bad guy while balancing being a teenager. And I have to say I love all her outfits!
So for today’s mission, it’s your job to let us know:
Would You Rather . . .
- Go undercover to your school dance and arrest your date (who’s a bad guy spy!) OR go undercover into the football team locker room and arrest the sweaty but gorgeous star quarterback?
- Be a spy like K. C. and her family OR be a ghost like on The Haunted Hathaways?
- Live as a spy in Russia OR Brazil?
- Have a secret gadget to listen in on people’s conversations OR secret gadget to make things explode by pressing a button?
- Discover your parents are spies OR your parents are secretly rich and famous from being in a rock band in the 1990s?
- Be able to dance like Zendaya in Shake It Up OR do action karate moves like Zendaya in K. C. Undercover?
- Have a robot sister like Judy OR a real robot who obeys your every command?
- Be a good spy OR an evil spy? (bwa ha ha ha)
Should you choose to complete this mission, leave your answers in the Comments below. And let us know what you think of Zendaya’s new show K. C. Undercover!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
Photo courtesy of Disney Channel
February 9, 2015
I get so irritated when people ask me…
I’m sure you’ve all had it happen to you. Someone asks you an irritating question and you say in your head, “Did she really just ask me that?!” Maybe the first time someone asks you a question, it’s not that bad. The second time they ask you, it gets a little annoying. But by the third time, you are full-blown, all-out irritated! Or maybe it’s a question that just shows how misunderstood you are. My worst example of this is, “You know it’s just a book, right?” Ooh, I hate that question!
Which leads me to today’s Writing Prompt . . .
What are the most irritating questions people ask you?
And we promise not to ever ask you any of those questions! Let us know in the Comments below!
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
January 27, 2015
Who Would Win: Winter or Summer?
Here in the New York City area, we’re pretty much sick and tired of being sick and tired of winter! Freezing temperatures and mushy snow make us long for summer. But will we feel the same way in summer? Will we long for the cool, magical, coziness of winter? Well, if you can’t decide, weigh in . . .
Winter vs. summer. Who’s the winner, in your opinion?
- Ice cream vs. Hot chocolate
- Snowboarding vs. Surfing
- Shovel snow vs. Mow the lawn
- Beach house vs. Mountain ski house
- Snowsuit vs. Bathing suit
- Ice pops vs. Icicles
- Winter holidays vs. summer vacation
- Hawaii vacation vs. Iceland vacation
- Building a sand castle vs. Building a snowman
- Frozen vs. Teen Beach Movie
And if you live in a part of the world where you are enjoying beautiful weather right now, then I am officially jealous!
Let us know your winter vs. summer winners in the Comments below!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
January 21, 2015
What Books Should You Read Before You’re 13?
We love, love, LOVE books here at the STACKS. But there are a TON of books out there, like, millions. Maybe billions? I don’t know about you, but sometimes it feels like there are too many choices. With so many options, how can we ever sift through to find the must-reads?
So, I have come up with my *opinionated* list of the 13 books you simply MUST read before you turn 13 years old. By the way, if you’re older than 13 and you somehow missed any of these books, you should totally go read them now! They are not just for kids! Continue reading
January 19, 2015
I Have a Dream Poetry Generator
In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, we have a cool writing prompt challenge. Below are 25 words from Martin Luther King, Jr.’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech delivered on August 28, 1963 at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. The speech is very inspiring and describes Dr. King’s dream of a world without racism and prejudice.
Your task is to take these 25 words and generate your own “I Have a Dream” poem. You can add articles (little words like “a”, and “the”), verbs, or anything that will help it flow, but try to include as many of these 25 words as you can in your poem. Any style of poem works – rhyming, non-rhyming, couplet, haiku, free-form, or even random. It’s up to you!
Leave your poem in the Comments. We can’t wait to be inspired . . . by you.
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
January 9, 2015
Top 10 Snape Quotes
Happy Birthday to one of the meanest professors of all time: Severus Snape. January 9 is Professor Snape’s birthday, and to celebrate, here is a list of my top 10 favorite Snape quotes (as written by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling). Here they are in chronological order . . .
- “I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death — if you aren’t as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach.” (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
- “Tut,tut . . . Fame clearly isn’t everything.” (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
- “That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss Granger,” said Snape coolly. “Five more points from Gryffindor for being an insufferable know-it-all.” (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)
- Well, I think I had better separate the three of you, so you can keep your minds on your potions rather than on your tangled love lives.” (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
- “Potter, when I want nonsense shouted at me I shall give you a Babbling Beverage. And Crabbe, loosen your hold a little, if Longbottom suffocates it will mean a lot of tedious paperwork, and I am afraid I shall have to mention it on your reference if ever you apply for a job.” (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
- Umbridge: You applied first for the Defense Against the Dark Arts post. Is that correct?
Umbridge: But you were unsuccessful?
Snape: Obviously. (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
- “You and Black, you’re two of a kind, sentimental children forever whining about how bitterly unfair your lives have been. Well, it may have escaped your notice, but life isn’t fair.” (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix)
- “You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them!” (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince)
Warner Bros. Pictures
- “Mr. Potter…” (pretty much all of the books!!!)
Gotta love his sarcasm. Do you see any of your favorites on the list? Or let us know your own in the Comments below!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
January 1, 2015
Baby Names ANSWERS: What’s Hot and What’s Not in 2014!
Last week we posted 2014 Baby Names Trivia. How did you do? Check out the answers below!
- Which Frozen character name shot up 29% this year? A) Olaf. B) Bulda. C) Elsa. D) Kristoff. ANSWER: Elsa . . . of course! Hans also was up 19%, but Elsa still beat him out.
- Which is NOT one of the top 3 girls’ names of 2014? A) Olivia. B) Sophia. C) Josephine. D) Emma. ANSWER: Josephine.
- Which city or borough would you rather be named after – Denver OR Bronx? Both were popular names in 2014! ANSWER: It’s up to you!
- Which name was NOT new to the girls top 100 list this year? A) Cora. B) Piper. C) Paisley. D) Clara. E) Ava. F) Cadence. ANSWER: Ava was not new. (It’s #4.) However, check out these new additions: Cora is #92. Piper is #94. Paisley is #96. Clara is #99. Cadence is #100.
- The names Easton, Xander, and Ryder are all new to the top 100 boys’ names this year. TRUE or FALSE? ANSWER: TRUE. Welcome aboard, guys!
- These boys’ names fell in popularity this year, and may soon be making their exit from the top 100. Which would YOU pick to be named before they fall of the list? Brayden (down 19 spots to #45) Chase (down 17 to #86) Colin (down 11 to #89) Zachary (down 9 to #67) ANSWER: Up to you! Personally, I love them all!
- Which “Fancy” Australian rapper’s real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly? Her names shot up on the popularity charts in 2014! ANSWER: Iggy Azalea. Iggy gained 75% in boys’ names, and Amethyst was up 55%!
- These names all fell OUT of the top 100 names this year: Bentley, Riley, Mateo, Jake, Ruby, Taylor. TRUE or FALSE? ANSWER: TRUE! Hard to believe, right? Maybe they’ll make a comeback.
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
December 30, 2014
Baby Names: What’s Hot and What’s Not in 2014!
Now that the year is winding down, the polls are closing on the most popular baby names from 2014. Not too much has changed since last year’s Top Baby Names. For example the girls’ #1 name is still Sophia, and boys’ #1 is Jackson. But there are some new entries into the top 100 list . . . and there are some names that didn’t make the list this year! How name savvy are you? Check out our Baby Names Trivia below . . .
- Which Frozen character’s name shot up 29% this year? A) Olaf. B) Bulda. C) Elsa. D) Kristoff.
- Which is NOT one of the top 3 girls’ names of 2014? A) Olivia. B) Sophia. C) Josephine. D) Emma.
- Which city or borough would you rather be named after – Denver OR Bronx? Both were popular names in 2014!
- Which name was NOT new to the top 100 girls’ names list this year? A) Cora. B) Piper. C) Paisley. D) Clara. E) Ava. F) Cadence.
- The names Easton, Xander, and Ryder are all new to the top 100 boys’ names this year. TRUE or FALSE?
- These boys’ names fell in popularity this year, and may soon be making their exit from the top 100 – boo. Which would YOU pick to be named before they fall of the list? (Personally, I love them all!) Brayden (down 19 spots to #45) Chase (down 17 to #86) Colin (down 11 to #89) Zachary (down 9 to #67)
- Which “Fancy” Australian rapper’s real name is Amethyst Amelia Kelly? Her names shot up on the popularity charts in 2014!
- These names all fell OUT of the top 100 baby names this year: Bentley, Riley, Mateo, Jake, Ruby, Taylor. TRUE or FALSE?
NAME your answers in the Comments below, and click here for the answers!
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
November 27, 2014
Read the answers to our Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz.
To get you in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I posted a Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz! Did you gobble up the questions, and spit out the answers? Or did it give you indigestion? (I hope not!) Without further ado, check out the answers below:
Photo by Sachyn Mital
- Which city is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade held in? ANSWER: New York City. It starts at 77th St./Central Park West and ends at 34th St. in front of Macy’s . . . (of course).
- Who is always on the LAST float in the parade? ANSWER: B) Santa Claus! Every year since 1924 Santa and Mrs. Claus close the parade.
- Which book character will be a balloon in the 2014 parade? ANSWER: A) Greg Heffley! Although I would like to see Slappy one year . . .
- Macy’s symbol is a red _________. ANSWER: Star.
- The Radio City _________ also perform a famous holiday dance number in the parade. ANSWER: Radio City Rockettes.
- Which character has never been a balloon in the parade? ANSWER: D) Elsa from Frozen. Although Idina Menzel (the actress who does Elsa’s voice) is set to perform this year!
- Which float has been in the parade for 40 years straight? ANSWER: A) Sesame Street!
- In 1997, several balloons had to come down due to high winds and safety concerns during the parade. Which balloon caused the most serious damage? ANSWER: A) The Cat in the Hat. The balloon was as tall as a 6-story building, and was careening out of control before it crashed into and broke the arm off a lamp post at 72nd St. Those winds can be hazardous!
Hope you enjoy the parade and turkey today! Gobble, gobble.
Ratha, Stacks Writer
November 24, 2014
Take the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz!
Thanksgiving Day just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving Day without the one and only… Macy’s Parade! I just love getting up, staying in my pj’s, and planting myself right in front of the TV to watch the parade, floats, and music acts. It makes it feel like the holidays are totally, really, officially here.
Originally known as Macy’s Christmas Parade, the Thanksgiving Day Parade was started by Macy’s employees. Many of them were first generation immigrants, and proud of their new American heritage, and they wanted to celebrate with the type of festivals they had in Europe. It featured floats, bands, and animals from the Central Park Zoo! It was such a success they decided to make it an annual event. But it wasn’t until 1927 that the first giant inflatable balloon debuted. Can you guess what it was? Felix the Cat.
Feel the need to march to the beat of more parade trivia? Then check out our Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Trivia Quiz:
- Which city is the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade held in?
- Who is always on the LAST float in the parade? A) Darth Vader. B) Santa Claus. C) An elf. D) A really cute boy band singer.
- Which book character will be a balloon in the 2014 parade? A) Greg Heffley from Diary of a Wimpy Kid. B) Geronimo Stilton. C) Poseidon from Percy Jackson. D) Slappy the Evil Dummy from Goosebumps.
- Macy’s symbol is a red _________. Hint: It’s a shape and also a balloon.
- The Radio City _________ also perform a famous holiday dance number in the parade. Hint: They are known for lot of high leg-kicks!
- Which character has never been a balloon in the parade? A) The Pillsbury Doughboy. B) Sonic the Hedgehog. C) The Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz. D) Elsa from Frozen.
- Which float has been in the parade for 40 years straight? A) Sesame Street. B) The Smurfs. C) Dancing kangaroos. D) Mount Rushmore’s American Pride.
- In 1997, several balloons had to come down due to high winds and safety concerns during the parade. Which balloon caused the most serious damage? A) The Cat in the Hat. B) Superman. C) Hello Kitty. D) Buzz Lightyear.
- Which character would YOU would like to see as a balloon in this year’s parade? Wouldn’t it be cool to see some of your favorite book characters come to life? I would love to see Harry Potter . . . or Voldemort! (He could fire spells and smoke at the spectators!)
Gobble up, and leave your answers in the Comments below. Click here for the answers!
– Ratha, Stacks Writer