In honor of our favorite house elf, Dobby, from the Harry Potter series and his birthday on June 28th, we would like to take a moment to reflect on his awesomeness and wisdom.
As many of you know, Dobby started as a house elf enslaved to the Malfoy family. He loved Harry, and Harry eventually helped Dobby earn his freedom when he tricked Lucius Malfoy into giving him his freedom. He then worked at Hogwarts, giving us tons of hilarious one-liners and escapes until the bitter end. But enough about that! Let’s now celebrate Dobby with some of his most memorable quotes!
- “Dobby will have to punish himself most grievously for coming to see you, sir. Dobby will have to shut his ears in the oven door for this.” (Chamber of Secrets)
- “Dobby has never been asked to sit down by a wizard — like an equal --”(Chamber of Secrets)
- “Harry Potter must not go back to Hogwarts.” (Chamber of Secrets)
- Harry: ”You’d better clear off before my bones come back, Dobby, or else I might strangle you.”
Dobby: ”Dobby is used to death threats, sir. Dobby gets them five times a day at home.” (Chamber of Secrets)
- “Harry Potter mustn’t be angry with Dobby. Dobby did it for the best.” (Chamber of Secrets)
- “Socks are Dobby’s favorite, favorite clothes sir! But sir . . . they has made a mistake in the shop, Harry Potter. They is giving you two the same.” (Goblet of Fire)
- “Professor Dumbledore said we is free to – to . . . call him a – a barmy old codger if we likes, sir!” (Goblet of Fire)
- “And if Dobby does it wrong, Dobby will throw himself off the topmost tower, Harry Potter!” (Half-Blood Prince)
- “Kreacher will not insult Harry Potter in front of Dobby! No he won’t, or Dobby will shut Kreacher’s mouth for him!” (Half-Blood Prince)
- Bellatrix Lestrange: ”You stupid elf! You could have killed me!”
Dobby: ”Dobby never meant to kill! Dobby only meant to maim, or seriously injure!”(Deathly Hallows)
I can’t say how much I loved Dobby’s character. What about you guys? Share your deepest thoughts in the Comments below!
Dobby clay model by Jim Kay