September 16, 2014
Would You Rather Be Hermione Granger?
If you are a Harry Potter fan, then you know that Hermione has been in some very scary situations. Since September 19th is Hermione’s birthday, we’re celebrating with today’s Would You Rather quiz. So raise a glass of butterbeer, and get your wands ready to answer the following questions inspired by Hermione’s adventures!
Would You Rather . . .
- Fight a mountain troll OR a Dementor?
- Go to the Yule Ball with Victor Krum OR Ron Weasley?
- Be the smartest kid in the class like Hermione OR the “chosen one” like Harry?
- Have a cat like Crookshanks OR a rat like Scabbers?
- Be in Ravenclaw OR Hufflepuff? (If you couldn’t be in Gryffindor!)
- Learn spells from Hermione OR learn practical jokes from Fred & George?
- Use a Time-Turner to take extra classes OR just take the normal amount of classes?
- Have a scar on your forehead OR crazy-frizzy hair?
- See Hermione marry Ron OR see Hermione marry Harry? (even J. K. Rowling has mixed feelings on this one!)
Leave your answers (and birthday wishes to Hermione!) in the Comments below!
Ratha, STACKS Writer
September 9, 2014
Personality Quiz: What Is Your Fashion Style?
- What would you wear to a birthday party? A) The outfit you saw Selena Gomez wear to the Kids Choice Awards. B) A cool Under Armour shirt. C) A collared shirt and khakis. D) A glittery shirt you embellished yourself. E) A t-shirt and jeans. Continue reading
September 8, 2014
Writing Prompt: Your biggest fashion disaster . . . or worst outfit your parents made you wear?
Back-to-school means showing your fashion style. But do your parents offer a few friendly “suggestions” on what to wear? We know sometimes this can end in disaster . . . and sometimes a great story!
My mom made me wear itchy wool skirts and sweaters to school and they were SO uncomfortable! It got so bad I started wearing tights and shorts under them to relieve the itch. Let’s just say it was not a pretty sight!
What about you guys? Something mismatched? Something that ripped apart in front of your classmates (gasp!)? For today’s Writing Prompt, we want to know . . .
You know where to leave the answers . . . in the Comments below. Can’t wait to read all your stories!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
September 2, 2014
Writing Prompt: How does reading open your world and make new things possible?
Scholastic has a new mission about the power of books and reading called Open a World of Possible. Did you ever feel pulled into the pages of a book you were reading? Like that book . . . or a combination of all the books you read . . . turned you into a different person?
Reading can change our lives. It can be magical. We can get lost in the pages of a good book. It can open our eyes to people and situations we never knew. It can make us laugh. Pass hours of boredom away. Make us want to right the wrongs in the world. Make us want to create our own adventures. Help us to grow up. Or help us be a kid just a little longer.
So for today’s Writing Prompt, we want to know:
How does reading open your world and make new things possible?
Watch these Open a World of Possible videos for inspiration and let us know how reading has shaped your life. Can’t wait to see your responses in the Comments below.
-Ratha, Stacks Writer
September 1, 2014
Writing Prompt: Back-to-School Must-Haves!
It’s official. We are back to school, and in order to have a good year, a kid needs new stuff! You’ve probably made trips to the usual places for the usual supplies like pencils, notebooks, a backpack . . . maybe some fancy pens or book covers. Maybe you absolutely NEED a mirror inside your locker. (We get it. How can you focus on learning if you’re afraid your hair looks bad?) We want to know what school supplies are essential for you. So for today’s Writing Prompt, in the spirit of Back-to-School, we’re asking . . .
Whether it’s the usual or the unusual, leave your must-haves in the Comments below!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
August 25, 2014
“It feels like a party every day. Hey, Jessie! Hey, hey, Jessie!” If you recognize this song, then you probably watch the Disney Channel show Jessie.
Start with a small town Texas girl with dreams of the big city . . . add a wealthy, kooky family with 4 totally different kids, and you end up with Jessie. We know you guys are BIG fans and something BIG is supposed to be happening this fall. So to get you in the spirit, Jessie-style, answer the following quiz questions.
Would you rather . . .
1. Be a nanny to Emma, Luke, Ravi, and Zuri in New York City OR baby Prince George in England?
2. Have all of the clothes in Jessie’s closet OR Emma’s closet?
3. Inherit Mr. Kipling OR a giant angry tarantula as your new pet?
4. Vacation in Texas and hang out with cowboys OR California and hang with movie stars?
5. See Jessie fall in love with Tony the doorman OR Ross Lynch from Austin & Ally?
6. Be babysat by Nanny McPhee OR Agatha the evil nanny?
7. Miss a trip to outer space on your birthday OR get stranded in space forever? (like what happened to Ravi in the “Spaced Out” episode)
8. Have Bertram cook you breakfast OR go to IHOP?
Let us know what YOU would rather do, AND if you’ve heard the buzz of what is going to happen this fall!
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
August 11, 2014
Writing Prompt: Fight for Your Reader Rights!
Reading is one of your passions. You could get lost in a good book for hours, or finish a series within days. You are a bona-fide, certified, qualified READER. But sometimes you run into problems . . . like the library is not open on Sundays in the summer . . . or it’s always too noisy with siblings running around your house. Well, we are writing a Reader’s Bill of Rights, so now’s your chance to state your demands to make it easier for you to be a reader.
- Article 1: Quiet time
- Article 2: Free access to any library in the world
- Article 3: Libraries open on Sundays
What rights do you think readers should have? Tell us your list of rights in the Comments below, and we will create a complete STACKS Reader’s Bill of Rights for you.
—Ratha, STACKS Writer
July 15, 2014
QUIZ: If your personality had a color, what would it be?
Have you ever noticed how some people seem to remind you of certain colors? For example, someone with a sunny, happy personality kind of reminds me of yellow. Now it’s your turn to figure out what color matches your personality. Answer these questions to find out.
- A totally awesome job would be . . . A) TV Producer. B) Veterinarian. C) Kindergarten teacher. D) CEO of Disney. E) President of the United States. Continue reading
July 8, 2014
Ice Cream Would You Rather
You probably eat plenty of ice cream in the summer, but did you know that July is actually National Ice Cream Month? Not kidding! It all started back in 1984, when President Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month, and the third Sunday of the month as National Ice Cream Day. (In 2014, this awesome day will fall on July 20.) Some ice cream stores will even give away free scoops of ice cream on National Ice Cream Day!
We’re getting into the spirit with a serving of Would You Rather! Ice cream lovers, would you rather . . .
- Vanilla OR chocolate?
- Cup OR cone?
- Sprinkles OR crunchies?
- Regular OR soft serve?
- Dairy Queen OR Ben & Jerry’s?
- Make-your-own-sundae bar OR frozen yogurt?
- Ice cream cake for your birthday OR regular cake?
- Ice pop OR ice cream?
“Scoop up” your answers, and leave them in the Comments below. And tell us how you will celebrate Ice Cream Month this year. Happy summer!
Ratha, STACKS Writer
Image credit Food and Drink/SuperStock
June 30, 2014
Writing Prompt: Problems only readers would understand . . .
- Problem #1: You’re on a long car trip and you just finished your book. There’s 1 more hour until you get there and you have nothing to read!
- Problem #2: You’ve been waiting forever for the sequel of your favorite book to come out. It finally does . . . on a SCHOOL day!
- Problem #3: Your mom returned a gripping, thrilling, totally awesome book to the library . . . before you finished the last chapter!
These, fellow Ink Splotters, are problems only a book lover would understand. You know what I mean, right? Well, we want to hear your problems . . . that only a fellow book lover would understand.
Leave your problems caused by book obsession in the Comments below!
Ratha, STACKS Writer