Excellent news, Roald Dahl fans! The beloved fictional giant, the BFG (Big Friendly Giant), will be coming to big screens in 2016. (There’s a joke on being larger than life in there somewhere . . . ) If you can’t get enough of the silly, sometimes surreal, and always heartwarming world of The BFG, here are some great books for ages 8-12 to read next! Continue reading
Let’s be real: who WOULDN’T want to go to Ever After High, a boarding school for fairy tale characters? Yes, please! But not everything is butterflies and rainbows at Ever After High, you know. Sometimes you’ve gotta make some very tough decisions to reach your Happily Ever After! So, we want to know . . . would you rather:
- Have to attend Damsel-in-distressing class for an entire year OR actually sleep through the Beauty Sleep Festival?
- Have snakes rained down on you OR have to spend a semester with your arch nemesis as your roommate?
- Need your biggest bully to rescue you OR have to harm your very best friend?
- Lose all your hair for five days to a Che-myth-stry class mistake OR be turned into a frog for five weeks?
- Find out you’re destined to marry the most arrogant prince you’ve ever met OR find out you are going to be responsible for sending one of your parents to jail?
- Get banished forever from Ever After High OR be locked up for an afternoon in the Uni Cairn with a very angry Jabberwock?
Whew! Being a fairy tale character might be more stressful than I thought . . . not that I still don’t want to go to Ever After High, though! What do you think? Would you YOU rather do? Are you an Ever After High fan? Share your answers in the Comments below!
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
Halloween is coming! At the STACKS, it’s a perfect opportunity to combine our two favorite things in the world into . . . book-inspired candy!
In case you missed it, this past summer we did something similar with book-inpsired ice cream flavors. You guys had some really clever ideas (Warrior Cat Mice Cream, anyone?), so now, check out our list of book-inspired candy below!
Percy’s Peppermint Pattie
The oh-so-amazing combination of yummy, yummy chocolate and minty creme gets a new twist with a bolt of unexpected flavor: ambrosia! Just be sure not to eat too many. You don’t want to be too sluggish to outrun any Minotaurs or vengeful evil demigods!
The crispy, peanut buttery center of this candy bar is more than just simply delicious—it contains a spell! Each bar gives you a temporary magical power . . . but you’ll never know which one until you eat it. Will you shrink to the size of an ant? Become invisible? Shape-shift into a cat? Who knows!
Delightful, fit-for-the-gods milk chocolate is packed with a blend of nuts, toffee, and crispy rice in this candy bar that is imprinted with magical hieroglyphics. If you (like me) aren’t really able to read hieroglyphics, they’re just really awesome decoration, but if you, say, happen to be descended from Egyptian gods, you’ll be able to enjoy the secret messages each bar contains.
Land of Lollies
Each of these sparkly, unusually flavored lollipops tastes like a different fairy tale. Will it taste like Goldilocks’ just-right porridge? The breadcrumb trail that Hansel and Gretel left behind? The sea in which the Little Mermaid lived? Unwrap one to find out!
The 39 Clues Candy Corn
It tastes just like regular candy corn. However, each package contains—you guessed it!—a clue that will bring you one step closer to becoming the most powerful person on earth.
What book-inspired candy do YOU want to invent? Share your ideas in the Comments below!
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
By the the time, Harry Potter arrived at Hogwarts, he had already met the 2 people who would become his best friends. Who would be your Hogwarts bestie? Who would brave the hallowed halls and mysterious secret chambers by your side? Who would help you with your homework, pull pranks, sneak midnight snacks, and pass your O.W.L.s? When your Hogwarts letter finally arrives and you go on that magical journey that begins at Platform 9 3/4, you will be well-prepared knowing exactly which Hogwarts student you should be buddying up with. After all, having a best friend can make a world of a difference when starting a new school!
Answer these questions to find YOUR Hogwarts best friend!
- Which Hogwarts class are you most looking forward to? a) Care of Magical Creatures. b) Herbology. c) Transfiguration. d) Defense Against the Dark Arts. e) Alchemy.
- You are most nervous about . . . a) exams. b) bullies. c) rules. d) possibly not being the smartest person in your class. (GASP!) e) not knowing which of your 37 Yule Ball date invitations to say yes to.
- Your favorite Bertie Bott’s Beans flavor is . . . a) soap. b) grass. c) sausage. d) black pepper. e) banana.
- If you ran into Fluffy the Cerberus—a vicious three-headed dog–in a dark Hogwarts hallway, your first reaction would be to . . . a) feed it a treat. b) run away. c) cast a shrinking spell on it. d) play music for it, obviously. e) report it to the authorities.
- You would most likely get into trouble for . . . a) roaming the castle after hours. b) losing your homework. c) pranking another student. d) checking out an off-limits book from the library. e) Actually, you never get into trouble.
- You hope your patronus is a(n) . . . a) dolphin. b) giraffe. c) gopher. d) otter. e) bear.
- Your favorite potion is . . . a) Amortentia (a love potion). b) strength potion. c) Polyjuice potion (a potion that makes you look like another person). d) Felix Felicis (a lucky potion). e) Draught of Peace (a calming potion).
- Besides classes, what are you most looking forward to? a) Hanging out with mermaids. b) Exploring the library. c) Going to Zonko’s Joke Shop in Hogsmeade. d) There’s life outside class? e) Quidditch!
- Which house would you be sorted into? a) Ravenclaw. b) Hufflepuff. c) Gryffindor. d) Slytherin. e) It doesn’t really matter as long as you end up at Hogwarts!
You super-awesome STACKS readers worked your way through some pretty impressive summer reading lists! I asked you all to share what books you were reading (and loving) and I put the results into a word cloud. There were SO many books — you guys ROCK! Check it out:
It looks like Percy Jackson is still way, way ahead of the competition, but Harry Potter is putting up a valiant fight. You HP fans are seriously dedicated! And it was really cool seeing so many of you having conversations based on other people’s recommendations. Book lovers, unite!
What books are you reading now for the new school year? Share in the Comments below!
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
Going to amusement parks is my most favorite summertime activity (aside from reading a billion books by the beach). So our next quiz for y’all is an Amusement Park Ride Personality Quiz! Are you a wild upside down roller coaster, a hot-headed bumper car, or a silly Tilt-a-Whirl? Take the quiz to find out!
- Your amusement park treat of choice is a) cotton candy. b) nachos. c) churros. d) hot dogs. e) a slushie.
- Your amusement park must-have is a a) cute outfit. b) backpack. c) bottle of sunscreen. d) baseball hat. e) cool sunglasses.
- Your favorite animal of the following is the a) koala. b) shark. c) giraffe. d) otter. e) tiger.
- You are most afraid of a) heights. b) clowns. c) gross bugs. d) the dark. e) zombies.
- Your favorite summertime outdoor activity is a) freeze tag. b) jungle gym acrobatics. c) tennis. d) swimming. e) water balloon fight.
- Your favorite rainy day summertime activity is a) learning a new craft. b) bowling. c) reading indoors. d) watching movies with your friends. e) napping.
- You most enjoy the color a) yellow. b) silver. c) blue. d) purple. e) red.
- Your favorite video game involves a) dancing or singing. b) racing cars. c) solving puzzles. d) building or creating something. e) combat fighting.
- Your dream ride would be a a) unicycle. b) really, really fast sports car. c) hot air balloon. d) sailboat. e) motorcycle.
Read on for your results! Continue reading
I’m a sucker for a great roller coaster ride. Did it leave me winded? Did I almost puke? Did my soul leave my body at least once? Did I scream, “WHY DID I AGREE TO GET ON THIS RIDE?!” If yes to all the above, that was the BEST RIDE EVER!
If you love roller coaster rides, try our extremely awesome Roller Coaster Name Generator!!! Extra extreme! Extra wild!
If you’re new to our name generators, have no fear. Here’s how this works: Find the first initial of your first name in the list below. That word is your roller coaster first name. Then look at the list of the months below and find the month of your birthday. That word is your roller coaster last name. For example, my name begins with an E and my birthday is in March, so my new roller coaster name would be Sky Fury! Continue reading
Even if you’re not an intergalactic space traveler yet, that doesn’t mean you can’t go exploring with your mind. So we want to know . . .
If you discovered the most perfect planet in the universe, what would be on it? What would it look like, smell like, taste like? What would you do if you could spend an entire day on your perfect planet?
I know what my perfect planet would be like. My perfect planet would look a lot like Earth, but way better. It would be super-duper green, just green fields for miles, and amazing forests, and breathtaking waterfalls and lakes. And it would be full of the friendliest, cutest animals (all vegan, of course, because it’d be stressful if they ate each other), and with trees that produce the most delicious fruit in the world . . . . regular fruit, but also fruit that tastes like pizza! And sushi! And hamburgers! And the bugs would all be very pretty, too, and not scary-looking or vicious. No mosquito bites on this planet! When the wind blows — only a gentle breeze — it would sound like an orchestra of tiny bells playing my favorite songs. There would be perfect sandy beaches where it never gets too hot, and even on the snowy mountain tops it would never get too cold. I would never need to wear more layers than a sweater over my t-shirt! It would always be perfectly sunny during the day and cool at night. The water running through the rivers and streams would taste pure and sweet, and nothing on the planet would be poisonous. The air would be ultra-fresh and randomly smell like cookies baking (the best smell in the universe)!
Let’s hear what your perfect planet would be like. Share your dream planet’s description in the Comments below!
En-Zsu, STACKS Writer
If you’ve just read The Giver by Lois Lowry (and had your mind totally blown), chances are you’re on the lookout for something equally awesome to read next. But where do you start?! Have no fear, fellow fans! If you’re craving more mystery and adventure in a world full of secrets, check out this super-rad list of The Giver readalikes for ages 10 and up! Continue reading
- It’s the weekend! You’re most looking forward to . . . a) playing kickball with your besties in the park. b) hanging out with your dog. c) putting together an art project like a scrapbook or mural. d) spending quality time on the sofa, reading books and catching up on your favorite movies. e) volunteering!
- Your favorite song is . . . a) a catchy pop tune. b) a chill electronic track. c) very rock n’ roll! d) a beautiful ballad. e) at least 20 years old. Continue reading