When you think of Ancient Egypt, you may think of pyramids and mummies. But did you also know a lot of today’s modern-day conveniences were invented in Ancient Egypt? For instance, Ancient Egyptians invented the first toothbrushes (fine twigs tied together into soft brushes) and toothpaste (the powder of ox hooves, ashes, and pumice)! From mummies to makeup and more, see how much you know – or can guess! – about Ancient Egypt.
- Ancient Egyptians used papyrus plants, which were stiff, reed-like plants that grew along the Nile River, to make THIS item for writing on.
- Name the women’s makeup that Ancient Egyptians invented:
B. Lip gloss
- To create a mummy, Egyptians first had to remove all of the body’s what?
- In the classic mummy pose, the mummy’s hands are placed over which part of the body?
- How many large pyramids are there at the Pyramids of Giza?
- Which of these did Ancient Egyptians invent?
C. Fishing nets
- What is the name of the coffin a mummy sits in?
- What was the ancient form of Egyptian writing called?
- True or False? Women were kind of equal to men in Ancient Egypt.
- Who was the last pharaoh of Ancient Egypt? Hint: she was a woman.
Scroll down for the answers!
- ANSWER: Paper. Which comes from the papyrus plant! Their process was a carefully guarded secret. They traded the papyrus sheets throughout the region, and used it to write everything from religious texts to stories to music.
- ANSWER: A. Eyeliner. They combined minerals to create kohl, which is still used today. Both men and women wore eyeliner, and the more the better. It was seen as a sign of status!
- ANSWER: All its organs! Organs were removed and placed in jars. The body was dried out for 40 days. Oil was applied, and then the body was wrapped in linen and plaster. Viola – instant mummy!
- ANSWER: Its heart, or chest.
- ANSWER: Three.
- ANSWER: Wigs. Due to the heat, many Egyptians shaved their heads to keep cool. But they preferred the look of “hair” so they created wigs, which they sealed to their heads with beeswax. Ouch!
- ANSWER: A sarcophagus.
- ANSWER: Hieroglyphics.
- ANSWER: True. Compared to other ancient societies like Greece and Rome, in Egypt, women could own property, decide who they wanted to marry, and have a job. Today this is a given in America, but in ancient societies, it was pretty cool that Egypt was so fair!
- ANSWER: Cleopatra.
I remember traveling to Egypt in college, seeing the pyramids, taking a camel ride, bargaining in the bazaar. I even went dancing in a dance club, and saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in a movie theater! It was in English, and subtitled in Arabic. Although worlds away, we’re not so different. And those Ancient Egyptians sure were ahead of their time!