Last week, our Trivia Quiz took us back to Ancient Egypt. It’s amazing how advanced they were, and how many things they invented. Did you guess some of them? Check out the answers below.
- Ancient Egyptians used papyrus plants, which were stiff, reed-like plants that grew along the Nile River, to make THIS item for writing on. ANSWER: Paper. Which comes from the papyrus plant! Yep, they made the very first paper. Their process was a carefully guarded secret. They traded the papyrus sheets throughout the region, and used it to write everything from religious texts to stories to music.
- Name the women’s makeup that Ancient Egyptians invented.
ANSWER: A. Eyeliner. They combined minerals to create kohl, which is still used today. Both men and women wore eyeliner, and the more the better. It was seen as a sign of status!
- To create a mummy, you first had to remove all of the body’s what? ANSWER: All its organs! Organs were removed and placed in jars. The body was dried out for 40 days. Oil was applied, and then the body was wrapped in linen and plaster. Viola – instant mummy!
- In the classic mummy pose, the mummy’s hands are placed over which part of its body?
ANSWER: Its heart, or chest.
- How many pyramids are there at the Pyramids of Giza? ANSWER: Three.
- Which of these did Ancient Egyptians invent?
ANSWER: Wigs. Due to the heat, many Egyptians shaved their heads to keep cool. But they preferred the look of “hair” so they created wigs, which they sealed to their heads with beeswax. Ouch!
- What is the name of the coffin a mummy sits in? ANSWER: A sarcophagus.
- What was the ancient form of Egyptian writing called? ANSWER: Hieroglyphics.
- True or False? Women were equal to men in Ancient Egypt. ANSWER: True. Compared to other ancient societies like Greece and Rome, in Egypt, women could own property, decide who they wanted to marry, and have a job. Today this is a given in America, but in ancient societies, it was pretty cool that Egypt was so fair!
- Who was the last pharaoh of Ancient Egypt? Hint – it was a woman. ANSWER: Cleopatra.
I remember traveling to Egypt in college, seeing the pyramids, taking a camel ride, bargaining in the bazaar. I even went dancing in a dance club, and saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in a movie theater! It was in English, and subtitled in Arabic. Although worlds away, we’re not so different. And those Ancient Egyptians sure were ahead of their time!
–Ratha, STACKS Writer