As the editor at Scholastic.com, I have a really fun job. I get to read all the books I could ever want — for free — before they are even published! (BTW Inkdeath is amazing. You are going to love it!) But the best part of my job is when I get to meet authors and talk to them about their books, which I did a few weeks ago at the American Library Association Conference in California. Here is how my day went:
- 8AM Wake up and get dressed
- 9AM Eat breakfast in the hotel
- 10AM Set up video equipment to tape the interviews with the
- 12 Interview Kazu Kibuishi. He was really sweet and talked about his graphic novel series Amulet. He even showed us his notebook where he sketches all his ideas before they make it into the final book.
- 1PM Interview Holly Black. She is so cool. She talked about The Spiderwick Chronicles and her new teen graphic novel series The Good Neighbors (for ages 12 and up) which is also about faeries, but the darker more evil side of faeries.
- 2PM Go to the Convention floor to see all the new books coming out this Fall and grab some free copies. This is dangerous for me because I am like a kid let loose in a candy store. Oh what’s this? A sequel to Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos? Yes please! And the author happens to be here signing autographs? Well, I might as well stop by and say hello and tell her what a fan I am. Oh, is that Brian Selznick over there reading to a bunch of kids? How cute! I am scooping up as many books as I can carry, but soon I have to leave because . . .
- 4PM Interview Cornelia Funke!!! Wow, I actually get to meet the author of Inkheart in person and ask her about the books! This is a total thrill, and of course she is lovely so I can’t resist begging her to write another book in the Inkworld series, but the answer is “No, the series
ends with the third book, Inkdeath.” I hope she changes her mind about that.
- 5PM Go back to the hotel to put on my fancy dress for the Newbery and Caldecott Awards Banquet.
- 6PM Go to the banquet where Brian Selznick and Laura Amy Schlitz both give wonderful acceptance speeches for their awards this year. What a fun party! Everywhere I look there are authors and illustrators all dressed up having a great time.
- 11:30PM Home to bed. My day was a lot of fun but I am truly exhausted at the end of it. Tomorrow I get to meet a whole new group of authors!
— Sonja, Scholastic.com Editor