February 27, 2015
Meet Mimi Kirkland!
Hi! I’d like to introduce you to Mimi Kirkland. She plays Lily on Austin & Ally this season. Her character is a spunky and energetic fan who begins taking music lessons from Ally so she can hang out with the star. In real life, Mimi loves to spend time with her family and enjoys participating in outdoor activities such as bike riding, swimming, and playing tag with her 2 sisters and her dog.
Photo courtesy Disney Channel
AND . . . she has offered to answer YOUR questions! Do you want to know what it is like to be on a Disney TV show with Laura Marano and Ross Lynch? Now is your chance to ask.
Leave your questions in the Comments and come back here on March 13 for Mimi’s answers!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
February 26, 2015
New IMAX Movie About Humpback Whales!
Humpback Whales is an extraordinary journey into the mysterious world of one of nature’s most awe-inspiring marine mammals. Set in the spectacular waters of Alaska, Hawaii, and the remote islands of Tonga, this ocean adventure gives an up-close look at how these whales sing, feed, play, and take care of their young. Humpbacks were nearly driven to extinction 50 years ago, but today are making a recovery. Join a team of researchers as they unlock the secrets of the humpback and find out why humpbacks are the most acrobatic of all whales, why they sing their haunting songs, and why these intelligent, 55-foot, 50-ton animals migrate up to 10,000 miles round-trip every year.
Watch this video for a behind-the-scenes look into the making of the movie!
• Humpback whales are found in all oceans on Earth. Populations migrate between summer feeding grounds in temperate polar waters and winter mating grounds in tropical waters. In a sense, the humpback connects all of the world’s oceans.
• Humpback whales are named for the arching motion they make with their backs in preparation for diving. Their scientific name Megaptera Novaeangliae means “great wing,” referring to their large flippers.
• Some of earth’s largest mammals, humpbacks can reach between 40 and 55 feet (about the length of a school bus) and weigh up to 50 tons (about the weight of 500 average-sized human beings). Their lungs alone are about the size of a compact car.
• Humpbacks are one of the few animal species in which females are larger than males.
• The humpback diet consists of krill and varieties of small schooling fish and they have been observed eating up to a ton of food a day when in feeding grounds.
• Humpback whales can swim in bursts up to 16 mph, but swim at slower speeds when feeding.
• A newborn humpback calf can be 10-15 feet long at birth and weigh up to a ton.
• Only the males sing. A humpback song can last as long as 20 minutes, and sometimes the same song will be repeated for hours.
Do YOU think we should do more to protect humpback whales? Join the Save the Planet Message Board to share your thoughts about these glorious animals!
Humpback Whales photos copyright © Brandon Cole
February 25, 2015
Harry Potter Shipping!
Today’s question comes from BubblyBookworm12 on the Harry Potter Board. I am VERY CURIOUS to see your responses to this one!!
I was taking a break from studying when I realized I hadn’t been here in ages. Aaaaages. So I logged on, had a look at all the old posts, and noticed my Harry Potter shipping challenges. Everyone had such great responses and seemed to enjoy them, I thought why not post another? So, here it goes. . .
This week’s couple is:
Professor McGonagall &Vernon Dursley!!!
Leave a Comment saying why you think they could or could NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS be a good couple!
February 24, 2015
Top Secret: K. C. Undercover Would You Rather
If you’re all shaken up Shake it Up is over, then you might need to check out Zendaya’s NEW Disney show that’s all the rage: K.C. Undercover.
K. C. (played by Zendaya) is an undercover spy in a family of undercover spies who go on secret government missions. She is a 16-year-old math genius spy in training (who can rock incredibly dangerous looking 3-inch sneaker high heels)! Her brother Ernie is a socially awkward, but lovable computer expert. And the family receives a new addition of a 10-year-old robot sister Judy. We’re still learning whose side she’s on. It’s pretty hilarious. The stories have a nice mix of capturing the bad guy while balancing being a teenager. And I have to say I love all her outfits!
So for today’s mission, it’s your job to let us know:
Would You Rather . . .
- Go undercover to your school dance and arrest your date (who’s a bad guy spy!) OR go undercover into the football team locker room and arrest the sweaty but gorgeous star quarterback?
- Be a spy like K. C. and her family OR be a ghost like on The Haunted Hathaways?
- Live as a spy in Russia OR Brazil?
- Have a secret gadget to listen in on people’s conversations OR secret gadget to make things explode by pressing a button?
- Discover your parents are spies OR your parents are secretly rich and famous from being in a rock band in the 1990s?
- Be able to dance like Zendaya in Shake It Up OR do action karate moves like Zendaya in K. C. Undercover?
- Have a robot sister like Judy OR a real robot who obeys your every command?
- Be a good spy OR an evil spy? (bwa ha ha ha)
Should you choose to complete this mission, leave your answers in the Comments below. And let us know what you think of Zendaya’s new show K. C. Undercover!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
Photo courtesy of Disney Channel
February 23, 2015
Create a Caption for This Terrifying Dinosaur
There is a dinosaur on the loose! It’s huge and ferocious . . . and blue? Uh, ok. What do you think this creature is saying? Leave your captions in the Comments!
“Spinausorus bleu” Flickr photo by Jeanne Menj
February 20, 2015
Brec Bassinger is Bella!
A lot of you are fans of Nickelodeon’s newest live-action comedy series, Bella and the Bulldogs. Bella Dawson (played by Brec Bassinger) is a confident, caring, and talented teenager who suddenly finds herself fulfilling a lifelong dream — as quarterback of the school’s football team. We interviewed the actress Brec Bassinger to find out more about her life on the new show.
Do you have anything in common with Bella? Continue reading
February 18, 2015
It’s Books of the Month Time!
I know I always get WAY too excited whenever this post comes around, but hey–it’s been a long winter and I’ve had a lot of free time, so I’m running out of books to read. I need your recommendations now more than ever!
Last month, we asked you what books you were reading and loving. I’ve put the results in a word cloud so we can see which titles reign supreme. Check it out:
Well, now! Harry Potter is experiencing a bit of a comeback! It looks like Dork Diaries is moving up in popularity, too! Let’s keep this going. What other books are you reading this winter? What books do you think everyone else absolutely, totally, MUST read, like, RIGHT AWAY? Share your picks in the Comments below!
I’m off to re-read Harry Potter now. See you around.
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
February 17, 2015
The Post Where I Ask Everyone Weird Quiz Questions
Today’s quiz comes from CycloneVampire7 on the Reading Buzz Board.
- What would you do if NO ONE (not even your family) would talk to you?
- Is your room messy, neat, or in between?
- What types of books do you read?
- Are you bored a lot? (I know I am.)
- Do you like school?
- If you could change your name, what would it be? (No last names!)
- Sparta or Athens???
- LEAST favorite color?
- Lucky number?
- Are you scared of Friday the 13th or the number 13? (I’m not referring to the movie, which I have not seen.)
- Are you a people person, shy, or just socially awkward?
- Is your glass half-full, half-empty, or completely empty because you drank it all?
- Any weird habits?
- You are on a deserted island. You can bring one thing with you, and it can be anything, even something you don’t currently have. What will you bring?
- Have your feet ever taken you places while your mind wandered off?
- Was there a time when you were so scared you couldn’t do anything except curl up in a ball and cry?(No details necessary . . . but just so you know I have to say “yesh” to this!!)
- Are you wondering what the whole point of this is?
- Pickles . . . or SAUERKRAUT??? (I know they taste the same; think of it as a challenge!)
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Comment if you enjoyed this, or if you want to add more questions! ~Cyclone
February 16, 2015
Create a Caption: Guinness World Record
Drum roll please! These guys are playing the world’s largest drum set! I wonder what song they are playing. If you could create a caption for the picture what do you think these drummers would be saying?
Photo Credit: Richard Bradbury/Guinness World Records
Here’s my caption: “Can somebody please get the ladder again? My solo is coming up and I need to reach the highest symbol!”
Write YOUR caption in the Comments below!
Amanda, STACKS Intern
February 13, 2015
New Disney Movie: Bad Hair Day
Laura Marano (from Austin & Ally) and Leigh-Allyn Baker (from Good Luck Charlie), star in Bad Hair Day, a comedy about a high school tech-whiz whose prom day abruptly shifts into a wild ride across town, thanks to a down-on-her-luck cop and a jewel thief. This Disney Channel original movie premieres Friday, February 13 (8:00 p.m., ET/PT).
Watch my video interview with Laura where she talks about that crazy hair!
Photo courtesy Disney Channel/Bob D’Amico
The story unfolds with Monica on the morning of her senior prom. She’s eager to get ready . . . until she can’t get her hair to cooperate. On top of that, she’s mistakenly enlisted by Liz, a police officer hot on the trail of missing jewels. Her prom day goes from bad to mad as a dogged jewel thief tries to outwit the pair.
Will you be watching this movie? Leave a Comment!
PS. I love Laura Marano but her hair does look kind of crazy under her hat. Still cute, though! Do you think she will wear that hat to the prom?
Sonja, STACKS Staffer