September 2, 2014

Open a World of Possible

Posted by at 1:17 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

Rainbow PenWriting Prompt: How does reading open your world and make new things possible?

Scholastic has a new mission about the power of books and reading called Open a World of Possible. Did you ever feel pulled into the pages of a book you were reading? Like that book . . . or a combination of all the books you read . . . turned you into a different person?

Reading can change our lives. It can be magical. We can get lost in the pages of a good book. It can open our eyes to people and situations we never knew. It can make us laugh. Pass hours of boredom away. Make us want to right the wrongs in the world. Make us want to create our own adventures. Help us to grow up. Or help us be a kid just a little longer.

So for today’s Writing Prompt, we want to know:

How does reading open your world and make new things possible?

Watch these Open a World of Possible videos for inspiration and let us know how reading has shaped your life. Can’t wait to see your responses in the Comments below.

-Ratha, Stacks Writer

1. Audrey

Reading saved me from the worst. I feel like I am no longer lonely or afraid of the dangers that come to us daily. My friends live in the book I read, or that is how I feel. Every page is something new it’s so amazing how writers/ authors do that. Books are one of the only things I know are true, friends may or may not be true but the characters in the book can become your friend’s if you want them to.

-Inspiration

2. HAYLEE

reading opens my mind becuse i like reading when i am in the bathroom i read. reading gets me to know new words like i read the book starded and it was good but i did not know half of the words when i read that story i learned all those words i did not even now a 12 grade word that book had it and i saouned it out know i know it

3. quincy

reading has changed my life in so many ways for one it has allowed me to see the world in a amazing new way . but befor I tell you that you have to know then I went to 2 grade I could read but not so well and I had this wonderful teacher who helped me a lot her and her mother taught me how to read so thans guys and also because of you two and my mom I leared how to read and now I am no longer that kid who was behided in reading I now am 6 years above my grade level and I am in the 6th grade I am do astordinary in all of my class I am also in advanced reading so thanks to all those who have helped me ok so my book is day of tears it is a wonderful book and talks about real thing that have happened and when I read it I felt as if I traveled back to the past and read made me a better person because it shows me you don’t have to be shy about being smart or being who you are also reading has opened my eyes to the world and its natrul wonders

4. dragoncrow203

I once got pulled into my Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets copy when I was reading about the part where Harry tries to kill the Basilisk which was super interesting because he did manage to kill the Basilisk.

5. DRAGONDUSK641

READING IS IMPORTANT AND VERY SPEICAL. READING CAN HELP WITH LIFE SITUTIONS AND OTHER. SO STICK WITH READING FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN.

6. DRAGONDUSK 641

READING IS AMAZING. WHEN I FIRST STARTED READING IT OPENED MY MIND TO AMAZING THINGS THAT I WANTED TO IMAGINE. QUOTE: “READING IS IMPORTANT, IT HELPS A LOT WITH LIFE SITUATION. SO STICK TO IT AND LOVE IT“.

7. dragondusk641

I NEVER LIKED READING AT ALL BEFORE, BUT THERE WAS THIS ONE TIME WHERE I WANTED TO TRY READING FOR THE FIRST TIME, AND WELL I STARTED TO LOVE READING. IT CHANGED EVERYTHING FOR ME. IT LETS ME SEE WHAT I WANT TO SEE. NOW I LIKE TO READ EVERDAY.

8. Angelenthusiastic10

Reading has changed my life in many ways. It has opened a whole new world for me. It allows me to go into a whole new dimension just by reading. I always have that feeling like I am on the quest with the characters. I have moments in which my heart is beating like crazy because I am either worried or just want to know what happens next. Reading is just amazing and makes me feel like I am apart of the story. Because of reading I have a ton of favorite books and series of books. My room is filled with books and more books because I love them. Reading makes new things possible because then I feel like I can take on tasks due to me learning how from a book. All I am saying is that reading has not only changed my life but has changed me in more than one way.

9. Kathleen X

Reading changed my life. At first I was not in to books, but now, i’m a book worm! I keep thinking what it would have been if there were no books to read.I always read good books. I love reading!!! ~kathleen~

10. Amanda

Before I started reading Harry Potter, I did not like to read. One day I got bored and picked up the book. I was so absorbed that I just could not stop reading it! I already liked Harry Potter but as I got through the series, I began to love it! In the time that I was reading it, and a while after, my world evolved around Harry Potter. Then, I got the Percy Jackson series for Christmas, read it, and now, all I ever do is read! I love Mondays,when my class goes to library. And I go to the Farmington public library almost ever other week! Reading has changed my life, and my vocabulary is through the roof! Getting lost in a book is great, and sometimes, I’d rather be anywhere else but earth. :)

11. athenabook130

Reading is just. When you ask me what “just” is, I mean it just exists. It’s a beautiful thing that no movie can ever beat, although cuts a close second.

12. Ren

Reading opens your world and makes new things possible by giving you the power of imagination. For example, if you were obsessed with sports and someone came up to you and asked if you could draw a fairy. I bet you would just spend ten minutes thinking about what a fairy looks like. If you were reading a book about mystical creatures you would automatically have an image of a fairy and not even have to think about it. Reading also allows you to use empathy. While reading a book you can feel what the characters’ are feeling this is called empathy and empathy can help you in real life. I think that empathy is a skill all people need to use and feeling what the characters’ are feeling is a good example of empathy to the reader. Books can change people’s lives and the way they act and I find that amazing.

13. purplebook196

I love to read. When I was in 1st grade my grandson parents moved from Kansas to the state I live in. My grandma wanted to do something fun with me. So, she started reading me the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. After the first chapter I was hooked and my brother soon started listening in. We finished the first two books that year, and the third the next year. We soon got busy and didn’t get to see grandma as often. We started reading the next book without grandma and were half way through, when I started reading it by myself. I finished the fifth, sixth, and seventh books that summer. We changed schools that year, and our new school had a library. I tries a new book each week but never found something worth finishing. My brother was reading The Lightning The if without my knowing, and I found out he was reading it thhe day he finished. I soon finished the series before him and then found the other two series by Rick Riordan. The race soon began to finish them first. My brother has finished The Kane Chronicles before me, and we are waiting for The Blood of Olympus to come out. We all so raise to finish The Land of Stories, and find them most compelling. It has come to our attention that we are running out of age appropriate books! Now we wait for the next big series to come out. Please write more!

I mostly read to escape the stress of the real world and to avoid facing it. If I had never read that first Harry Potter book I never would have gotten intreseted in reading and would be live ng n bullies’ words.

14. Anonymous

Reading changed my life, by being able to be the old me again. Before I love reading books so much, then I started reading books… and then after I started reading again because of school. It made me go back to being the old me… ive changed

15. Rose

Reading changed my life a lot! It gives me ideas on what to do. Expectantly books about World war 2 for me. And other books that do with science and outer space.

16. evelyn

i’ve read a ton of new and awesome books so here were my top picks
    1.THE BULLY BOOK
    2.ELVIS & OLIVE
    3.EIGHT KEYS
    4.DORK DIARIES (ALL OF THEM)
    5.AMONG THE HIDDEN
    if you need a book to read here were a few that changed my life by inspiring me to be me. try these books they might change your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. pinkdance800

Reading changed my life a lot ,right now I am begging for the library to open so I can go get some books ,reading is actually fun you don’t just read and say oh I have finished reading this book .you read to understand find out what’s is going on in the story and talk about I to yourself-by pinkdance8000[aka Sahara]

18. Krista

Reading changed my life completely. There are so many things I would never have thought of if I didn’t like to read. My love of reading makes me who I am today. In fact, if books were taken away from me I’d do something drastic. I love that word. Drastic.

~Krista~

1. spencer

I want caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

19. Daijane

hi my name is Daijane the book baby sitters club chaged life by tell me no matter what you will always be friend and never stop talking to someone because of some rumor always listen to your heart and mind .
    your
    friend
    Daijane

20. wisethunderstorm8

Reading has opened my world and made new things possible in many different ways. When I was younger, I could never stand knowing only a part of something. I always wanted to know the whole story. My first book that I understood was Grizzwold. I still have it to this day and I could never forget it.

21. Helena

reading has changed my life in many different ways, some ways are by helping me learn easier and being able to help me study and take note to get better grades. It has also helped make new things possible by looking through different things and finding information about different people whom changed our world and we live today. Reading also opened my world by wanting to go out and explore new things.

22. Cyclonevampire7

Ive actually had a doctor tell me to pace myself in reading books,because I’d been having a lot of head-aches recently. So yeah,I think we’re PRETTY CLEAR how important books are to me. I BREATHE books. Got nothing to do? No books to read? RE-READ a old book.

23. GymnastGirl17

I think that it does make sense that books can really pull you into a whole new world. The book is like the only thing that matters.

24. Adeline

Reading has helped me become a better reader,speller,writer and,learner. When I was 5 years old I was in a specil reading programe for kids that couldn’t learn fast enought,and was always called mean and hateful names ,but now I read 3 years above my grade level. So I say be deferint Be A Geek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!