May 29, 2014

Has Harry Potter Changed Your Life?

Harry Potter stampWriting Prompt: How Harry Potter Has Changed YOU

Everyone remembers the first time he or she opened a Harry Potter book and started reading. Think back to the time before Harry Potter was in your life and tell us how reading the books has changed you as a person, changed how you look at certain things, and changed your perspective on life in general.

Firstly, Hermione became my alter-ego and I became a self-motivated, straight-A student. Now I just do my absolute best with everything because she makes it cool to be a nerd. I became more responsible because of Hermione.

Seeing how Harry suffered at the Dursleys’ house made me put my stupid, little problems in perspective.

Seeing how coolly weird Luna is made me accept myself as an individual, if you know what I mean. Like, before, I was obsessed with conforming and being popular, and Luna made me step back and realize that there’s only one of me. And my friendships have actually improved since then.

Harry showed me that you need to believe in yourself and know who your true friends are even when everyone hates you. – EarlyElf6

I must thank Luna the most. Without her, I would probably have always kept my quirky weirdness to myself. To me, HP has been a lot more than words on paper. It has been a life-changing, motivating, roller coaster ride of a story and I absolutely adore it. – Popcorn3Penguin

Leave a Comment here or on the Harry Potter Message Board and tell us: How has reading Harry Potter changed YOUR life?

1. Firedragon1685

I like Ginny Weasley because she is a curious person who is never afraid to face her fears,
    just like me! I also like Hermione because she is smart and loyal.

2. Poseidondolphin255

Molly changed me because she taught me that even though you may be less powerful than another person you can still take a swing at beating them. Example when Molly defeats Beatrix.

3. Midsummermermaid30

Harry Potter! :) One of my favorite series’ in the world. You were my first REAL book series.

1. Zach mapsailing11

They are good but my fav are Inheritance cycle (Eargon), Legend series, Hunger games, Divergent and The Mortal Instruments. (I am a REALLY high level reader!)
      Like Harry Potter too, I finished the whole series in a week.

4. Willie

Ibarra potter helped inspired me to protect my friends and not to give up at thing i can do without them AWESOME tec. HARRY IS MY BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER

5. fearless pegasus 12

Ive grown up with harry potter!
    i was introduced to it when 3 or 4
    and couldn’t eat without watching chamber of secrets\
    i even went to the conventions that my moms work hosted
    i can’t believe its done :(

1. Emily

Well, Fearless Pegasus 12 I turned on Good Morning America for my grandma and found out J.K. Rowling is making more Harry Potter books!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I found out I was like WOOOOOW I am obsessed with Harry Potter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. energeticgriffin20

Harry Potter has not exactly changed my life, but it has given me a new series to read. Sometimes, I think about our world if it was like Hogwarts or other magical places. That would be awesome!

7. guitarrolling9

I don’t think Harry Potter has changed my life, but I can compare my problems to his. This was pretty much my worst school year because this girl in my class was a bit of a DRAMA QUEEN! No wait, she wasn’t a bit of a drama queen she was 100% drama queen. There was a time when I said one little thing to her and she just burst out crying. I know you might be thinking that I must have said something horrible to her but, as teachers have said, ‘ do not say something unless you are okay with someone saying it to you’ and I would be okay with it. So I asked my best friends about their opinions and they said that they would be okay with it. Oh, and by the way, what I said was not a bad word. The next time I said something to her because I forgot what was going to be her reaction, the same thing happened, except she was smiling. So I said, ” Oh my gosh. You’re smiling!!!!” She quickly covered it up and said,” No I’m not ” in her little princess voice. Only three of my best friends saw that she smiled and everyone else told me that I was being mean. I was so frustrated I ran to the bathroom and wept. This comparison is from when Draco Malfoy faked an arm injury in one of the books. I forgot. Everyone thinks that the girl is perfect and nobody realized what happened. :(

8. Labradorblack175

Harry Potter, I think, has changed my life for the better. What J.K Rowling did was not write a seven part fictional series, but made a world for others to come into and enjoy. People of ALL aged will and have enjoyed this. Everyone has a character that they can relate to, even if it is a imaginary character that is mixed with other characters. The people in these books will connect, stick with you, and will NEVER leave. You may not know that they are there with you, but they are, in the little part of the back of your head.

The characters that J.K Rowling has created teach you things. Like Hermione, she taught me that it does good to know things in life. Luna taught me that to be yourself is better than to try and be cool. People will like you for who you are, and the ones who don’t, aren’t worth impressing. Ron taught me how to be a loyal friend to those that I care about. Fred and George taught me how to see the light during the darkest of times. Neville taught me how to keep my cool if anyone laughs at me when I mess up. Mistakes happen, and that is okay. Even Draco Malfoy, one of the bad guys, taught me something. He taught me how to stand up for what you believe is right. What I learned from Sirius and Lupin is how to be loyal and help your best friend no matter how long ago they were with you. Then Harry Potter taught me many things. When a friend is in trouble, you should go and ave them no matter what. When bad things happen, you have t try and see the light. And when it comes to doing something that you can’t back out of, you finish the job, and do it right.
    Sorry this is so ling, but I just love the books so much. Harry Potter is my life.

9. moonlightnebula42

It made me realize that there is a lot of imagination in the world and if you give it to the right people they can write AWESOME books!!!!!!! :) :):):):):):)

10. HarryPotter's#1fan

Harry Potter has inspired me to face my problems and not back away from them. I don’t understand why some people don’t like the books!

11. senior 8

yes … so much! before i read Harry Potter i thought it was weird to be in love with books and wish you were whatever your favorite character was… but, now i am in love with harry potter (the books not the person) and wish was a wizard!

12. soccereggs24 first name is jonathan

my brother ben is a big fan of yours I have seen all of your movies and a girl named Meghan she reads a lot of your books

13. First Name Only or STACKS username

you people should try reading the series again. maybe you will like it this time around.

14. library20

Harry Potter u could say im a harry potter fananic its changed how i c every thing i look at that looks the least bet magical

15. Sophie

Harry Potter changed my life by Hermione was a great role model for school to help me want to be a better student. And Ron taught me to be funny and not to take everthing seriously.

And of course Harry he is the best ever he teaches us to be brave and be yourself.

16. SilverLightning131

Harry Potter is one of the best series I’ve ever read and trust me, I’ve read A LOT of books. It’s taught me to look at the world in a different way and to never give up. One of my favorite characters is probably Luna Lovegood. She taught me that being weird is okay and to not judge a book by its cover because people thought she was crazy and insane but she turned out to be a very important character that helped harry the whole way through.

17. Ginny4ever

OMG. Ever since I read Harry Potter, I can’t go a day without referring to it. I even dressed up as a Gryffindor once! Without him, I probably would not be as interesting now as I was then!

18. HPHedwig

Well, to start, Harry, Ron, and Hermione remind me of me and my other friends. They help my remind myself that everyone is unique and you can be different from everyone else. My teacher has not read Harry Potter yet, but loves that I am only in fourth grade and read it it only in two and a half months. People get annoyed when I recite random quotes, but I don’t care because Luna Lovegood is always blurting out something about a Crumple Horned Snorksack or the QUIBBLER. My favorite book has to be the fifth or the seventh. I love it so much!!!!!! My friends think that I’m crazy, but I don’t care. Every time I take the test to sort me,I end up in Gryffindor. My favorite character has to be Harry, Luna, Sirius(don’t want to spoil anything), or Dobby(same thing too)
    Quidditch has to be my favorite sport. To conclude, I wish I wasn’t a Muggle!!

19. appledawn127

i like this it is so fun even my classmates love it im doing it at home and it is so fun thank u for making this for kids and teahers and other

20. bearcity32

Harry Potter is awesome! I’ve read the books 15 times! I’m pretty much the same as Hermione, but Sirius Black is m fave character by far! PADFOOT RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. confidentsummer12

Of coarse I have seen all the movies and read all the books. I wish I was Hermoine she is awesome.

22. nathaniel

i am seeing life in a different way because of harry himself and seeing life from his eyes i’ve been encouraged to show myself

23. thunderstormtea15

harry potter has made me look at the world a different way and i’m only in chapter eight of the first book!

24. growlingdreamer8

OMG! i love harry potter! even though im in third grade and only up to the fith book i love it so far! hermione is my favorite character but every harry potter profile games i always turn out being harry or his things!

25. vdela

no it did not change my lifr at all and i like harry potter the movei all the time;]

woooooooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. gopherconstellation12

I am a real fan of harry because I learned from him to never give up. he goes to defeat voldemort when his friends told him not to. now I always keep trying my best . but before I just used to give up at EVERYTHING! IF I NEVER DISCOVERED HARRY POTTER I WOULD BE REALLY BAD AT DOING THINGS. WELL HOW IS YOUR ROLL MODEL?! GO HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. 111111111111111111

Wow it sure has!!!! Sometimes I daydream about flying on a N2000 N2001 and Firebolt. I love the books.

28. yellowlabrador138

Hermione has made me feel more confident about myself. I am a gifted child and a total nerd. I used to be shy and afraid to express myself. But now I can confidently speak my mind and be exactly who I am. If I hadn’t discovered these books, I wouldn’t have discovered who I was or how to speak up for what I believe in. I hope that the Harry Potter books have had the same effect on anyone who has read them, and if so, I hope they reply to this comment. Go HP!

29. CLAWSCLAWS614

Ron changed my life because with out him i would not be funny but at the same time sorta smart

30. chasingtrick8

I am like Hermione because I am very smart like her. I am also like harry because he is very curious like me. Neville has also changed my life because now I stand up for my friends just like him.

31. cheerfulconstellation18

it was a really good book. when i started reading i began to ask many questions like why a three headed dog or what is a muggle? but it is an amazing novel. i love hermione

32. bulldogbull823

reading harry potter changed my life i never read so much in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ._. lol <3

33. birdmath26

I see the Harry Potter books as a spiritual experience, coupled with humor, adventure, and reflection. They affirmed my deep-down belief that good will always triumph over evil. And I will always cherish Dumbledore’s admonition (paraphrased): ” It’s our choices that determine who we are. “

34. =hplove123

i love harry potter it gives me something to look forward to every day now i have read and seen every harry potter book and movie 75 each(i counted). i can really connect with hermione and i stopped being ashamed of myself because of who i am