December 10, 2013
Personality Quiz: What time period should you have been born in?
Have you ever thought that you might have been born in the wrong era? Take our Time Period Personality Quiz today to find out your true time period personality.
- You want to go on vacation to . . . A) the pyramids of Egypt. Exploring tombs and cozying up to mummies is just your style. B) backpack across Europe. C) Italy. Explore the Colosseum, lean on the Tower of Pisa, gaze at the Sistine Chapel, and float along the waterways of Venice. D) road trip across the United States. E) Are you kidding? Just park the video game truck in my backyard for a week, and I’m good to go!
- If you could have a wig you’d have . . . A) a jeweled headpiece. B) a metal helmet. C) a long braid like Rapunzel. D) perfect shoulder-length curls. E) a green Mohawk.
- What’s your clothing style? A) The less the better; you’re always sweating. B) Relaxed & comfy. C) Dressy & formal. D) Preppy & all-American. E) Edgy & fashion-forward.
- You’d rather do a school report on . . . A) King Tutankhamen. B) Vlad Dracula. C) Michelangelo. D) Ben Franklin. E) Steve Wozniak, one of the founders of Apple Computers.
- You and your friends are into . . . A) mystery, books, and discovering hidden secrets. B) sports, hiking, and being outdoors. C) shopping, dance, art, and music. D) helping people and contributing to good causes. E) robotics and tech-y stuff.
- Which quote appeals most to you? A) “Death shall come on swift wings to him who disturbs the peace of the King.” B) “Use strength in the service of justice, but tempered by humanity and mercy.” C) “Art is never finished, only abandoned.” D) “Give me liberty or give me death!” E) “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.”
- Pick a movie! A) The Mummy (rated PG-13) B) The Princess Bride (rated PG) C) The Hunchback of Notre Dame (rated G) D) Pocahontas (rated G) E) Star Wars (rated PG)
- You’d like to travel by . . . A) majestic river cruise. B) There’s no place your feet can’t get you! C) sailboat. D) horseback. E) spaceship.
- Your last meal on earth would be . . . A) falafel, chickpeas, something flavorful. B) steak and boiled potatoes. C) pizza with all the toppings you want! D) turkey and stuffing, a nice Thanksgiving feast. E) freeze-dried ice cream that never melts.
- At a costume party you would dress as. . . . A) Cleopatra. B) a knight or princess. C) Leonardo da Vinci. D) George Washington. E) a three-headed alien.
Leave your answers in the Comments and click here to find out your results.
–Ratha, STACKS Writer
December 9, 2013
Create a Caption: Arima’s Christmas
Look how cute Arima is wearing that little velvet Santa hat and bandana! It looks like he is anxiously awaiting his family members to celebrate the holiday together!
Here’s my caption: “Oh, I hope I get a new squeaky toy this year! And a ball! And a comfy new doggy bed! Wait . . . what is that?! I think I smell a milk-bone in my Christmas stocking!”
What do you think? Write YOUR caption for this Christmas cutie in the comments!
–Amanda, STACKS Intern
December 6, 2013
“The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
If you don’t know about the great South African president Nelson Mandela, who died yesterday at age 95, you should read about him. He is my personal hero and a hero to many people around the world. Even President Obama loved him. “I am one of the countless millions who drew inspiration from Nelson Mandela’s life,” President Obama said on Thursday. “I cannot fully imagine my own life without the example that Nelson Mandela set.”
In 1964, when Mandela complained publicly about the system of racial prejudice (called apartheid) in South Africa, he was accused of trying to overthrow the government. He spent the next 27 years in prison. In 1990, he was released from prison, and in 1994, he became the country’s first black president ending apartheid forever.
Thank you, Nelson Mandela, for helping South Africa to rise, and for inspiring every person in the world to rise with you.
–Sonja, STACKS Staffer
Image credit Kadir Nelson from the book Nelson Mandela
December 6, 2013
Meet the real Edith from Despicable Me.
While the minions may be the most adorable members of the Despicable Me cast, our favorite human character is definitely Edith—the silly, clever, hat-wearing, and utterly lovable middle sister—so we were more than excited to interview Dana Gaier, who plays Edith’s voice in both Despicable Me and Despicable Me 2. Even though Dana says she’s just a “regular teenager,” we’d argue that she’s pretty special! We caught up with the actress and asked her about everything from her similarities to Edith to her celebrity crush. (I bet more than a few of you would agree with her answer!) Continue reading
December 4, 2013
STACKS Book Club: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
The STACKS Book Club is back with a magical new book. This month, we’re reading J.K. Rowling’s classic tale of witchcraft and wizardry, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Whether you’re reading Harry for the first time or the hundredth time, this book about a boy who discovers he’s a wizard is one you just can’t put down!
So grab a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, read the official discussion questions below, and then head to the Comments below to start chatting!
- What would your reaction be if Hagrid arrived at your house and said that you were a wizard?
- Would you be scared to run into the magical wall at Platform 9 ¾?
- What house would the Sorting Hat place you in? When the Sorting Hat was on your head, what would it say to you before you were sorted?
- If you joined your house Quidditch team, what position would you like to play?
- What spell would you want to learn first at Hogwarts?
- What would be your favorite class to take?
Post your answers in the Comments below and also ask your own questions to the STACKS Book Club!
–Brian, STACKS Staffer
December 3, 2013
Happy Holidays, everyone!
Now that Turkey Day is over, it’s officially the holiday season–and we’re so excited! We’ve got lots of DIY gift ideas, giftwrapping fun, and other holiday activities.
Are you excited for the holiday season? What are you looking forward to the most? Share with us in the Comments!
– En-Szu, STACKS Staffer
December 2, 2013
‘Tis the Season for Holiday TV!
‘Twas the month before Christmas And all through the house, I was glued to the TV Like a cheese-nibbling mouse!
December brings so many things – holidays, snow, the end of the year, and of course awesome holiday TV shows! Here’s your daily guide to all things televised that we think are worth watching. Continue reading
December 2, 2013
Book Nerd and Proud!
You’d rather finish your book than watch TV. You drop food on your book because reading and eating dinner at the same time is challenging (my sincere apologies to the Pleasant Hills Public Library!). Your mom tells you you’re going to Disney World, but you just look up from your book and say . . . “Huh?” Admit it – you’re a book nerd, and proud of it!
Today’s Writing Prompt is for you. Finish this sentence. . .
We can’t wait to hear what you guys say in the Comments below! Be proud and read ON!
–Ratha, STACKS Writer