December 4, 2013

Harry Potter Book Club

Posted by at 1:28 am in Harry Potter, Reads | Permalink

StacksBookClubSTACKS Book Club: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

The STACKS Book Club is back with a magical new book. This month, we’re reading J.K. Rowling’s classic tale of witchcraft and wizardry, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Whether you’re reading Harry for the first time or the hundredth time, this book about a boy who discovers he’s a wizard is one you just can’t put down!

So grab a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, read the official discussion questions HP1_KKbelow, and then head to the Comments below to start chatting!

• What would your reaction be if Hagrid arrived at your house and said that you were a wizard?
  • Would you be scared to run into the magical wall at Platform 9 ¾?
  • What house would the Sorting Hat place you in? When the Sorting Hat was on your head, what would it say to you before you were sorted?
  • If you joined your house Quidditch team, what position would you like to play?
  • What spell would you want to learn first at Hogwarts?
  • What would be your favorite class to take?

Post your answers in the Comments below and also ask your own questions to the STACKS Book Club!

–Brian, STACKS Staffer

1. awesomepanda72

1. If Hagrid showed up at my house and told me I was a wizard I would scream and then go to Hogwarts as soon as possible. It’s not that I don’t like where I’m living but I would just love to learn how to cast spells and stuff. :)
    2. Yes, of course I would be scared. What if you ran into the wrong wall or the way into it was blocked on the other side! Come on who wouldn’t be scared?!
    3. Well, just like Harry said I would not want to be in Slytherin and I think it would put me in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw.
    4. I would probably be the seeker because I have an eye for small things.
    5. I would want to learn Expelliarmus so I could disarm anyboby or Expecto Patronum.
    6. My favorite class would be either Defense Against the Dark Arts or Care of Magical Creatures.

2. go slytherin

if hagrid showed up at my house and told me i was a wizard, my response would be “sayonara!” to my family i would also probably hug hagrid.
    no way would i be scared ,i,ve read and watched harry do it enough times.
    the hat would be rely touch my head before it would shriek “slitherin!”
    on a quidditch team i would like to be the commentator.
    i would want to learn ‘acioa’
    my favorite class would be defense against the dark arts.

3. Sophia

This is the best series ever!!!
    1. I would jump with joy to know that I was a witch and I would be so excited to attend Hogwarts!
    2. Honestly speaking, I would be scared to run into a wall, who wouldn’t?
    3. Hufflepuff, because that’s the house I belong to at Pottermore. However, I would personally want to be in Gryffindor ( a girl can dream)!
    4. Not beater, not keeper, not seeker so….definitely Chaser!
    5. Wingardium Leviosa, of course.
    6. A no-brainer, Charms.

4. skyblue253

This is one of my favorite books of all time, so I’m definitely going to answer some of these questions! :)
    *If Hagrid came to my house and told me I was a wizard, first I would freak out, and then I would ask him when we could go to Diagon Alley.
    *No, I wouldn’t be afraid to run into platform 9 3/4. Unless of course if wasn’t the right platform. ;)
    *I think I would be in Ravenclaw, because that is actually what my Pottermore house is! I would just request Ravenclaw. No biggie.
    *I think I would be either Seeker or Keeper.
    *I have no idea! Any of them would be fun to learn.
    *All of them? ;) Probably Defense Against the Dark Arts or Transfiguration.

5. Isabella

If Hagrid came to my house and said I was a wizard I would say, “Cool! When do I my wand?” I wouldn’t be scared to run into platform 9 3/4. The sorting hat would probably put me in Gryffindor. I would be Seeker. I would learn the Stupefy and the class I would take would be Transfiguration.

6. catgymnastics173

1. I would tell Hagrid, “I’m so exited! If I’m a wizard or witch now, let’s go to Diagon Alley!” I’d leave with Hagrid right away!
    2. I would not be scared to run into the magical wall, because I’d now I’m a wizard, plus I’ve bumped into walls lots of times before!
    3. I took a quiz, and so the Sorting Hat would put me in Gryffindor! Plus, it would say that I’m really smart, kind, and loyal, but I use most of it for friends and courage!
    4. I’d love to play Seeker. I have a good eye.
    5. “Wingardium Leviosa” is awesome, because I have lots of stuff to carry mostly, so I could just direct it with my wand without carrying it! It would help lots.
    6. Charms is my favorite! Spells come in handy, if you need to do something, you always know a good Charm!
    I hope you LOVE Harry Potter! I’m his biggest fan! -catgymnastics173

7. blueangel811

if hagrid came to my house and told me i was a wizard i would of thought it was it joke and after if he explained it to me i would be jumping up and down and not be able to sleep i would be so happy i would just be smiling every moment

8. Grace

Get ready for an essay people, cuz I like to talk.
    Id Hagrid came to my house to tell me I was a wizard, I would have doubted him. But after he explained a little, I might believe him a little. I then would have gone a little crazy like I ate 15 sugar cookies until I calmed down (or an hour, winch ever comes first). Then I would have gone to Diagon Alley first thing in the morning.
    I would have been scared to run into a SOLID LOOKING BRICK WALL IN PUBLIC. I have run into many things, such as people walls, poles, desks, and it is not fun. If I were to run into a wall, I may feel scared, but I might close my eyes so I can’t see anything.

9. AJ

1. I would probably have a similar reaction to Harry’s, especially if before that point I’d never exhibited any magical abilities. Then again, Hagrid is massive, so the incredulousness of the situation might make me an instant believer.
    2. I run into walls on a daily basis anyhow, so 9 3/4 wouldn’t be that big of a deal to me.
    3. I believe the Sorting hat would have a hard time placing me. Not to be immodest, but I am very intelligent, so Ravenclaw would suit me well. On the other hand, however, Slytherin could easily be a good fit for me, since I tend to be somewhat sly. The Sorting Hat would most likely say something along those lines, but would come to the conclusion that I belong in Slytherin, since the pressures of being a Ravenclaw would potentially deteriorate my emotional well being.
    4. If I were to join my house’s Quidditch team, I’d likely be the Seeker, since I am very good at noticing details, like a flash of gold on the far end of the pitch. Also, I once played a game of ground Quidditch with some friends, and caught the Snitch literally five seconds into game play.
    5. I’d want to jump into the more difficult spells first, even though I’d likely fail miserably. My favorite spell has always been the one Tonks mentioned in Order of the Phoenix (which doesn’t apply to the Philosopher’s Stone, I know…), which was a charm that paired and folded socks.
    6. I’d most appreciate Transfiguration, but I’d most enjoy Potions, even with Snape teaching. Evn though I’d probably make my cauldron explode daily, since I’m absolute rubbish with muggle Chemistry, it would be super fun to learn.

10. turquoisegirl18

1. I would think its a dream, but still i would go with him.
    2. Not at all. i would just walk through.
    3. Gryffindor. Obviously. It was what harry was in!!!
    4. Seeker. I love the golden snitch.
    5. Stupefy or Expecto Patronum.
    6. Defense against the Dark Arts.

11. vampire

i really like harry potter but the books are so long i skip them and just watch the movie i know its bad but i cant help it.

12. ghostblue21

1. I would start freaking out, then ask it if was a joke.
    2. ABSOLUTELY!
    3. I have a Pottermore account, and I am a Ravenclaw. Friend me! My username is FeatherStrike20032!!!
    4. Seeker would be nice.
    5. I’d like to learn Expelliarmus! (sorry if I spelled that wrong)
    6. Probably Transfiguration. That would be awesome!!!

13. Adventurepegaus10

Btw this I a great book choice
    1. Excitedly run to him and exclaim,”REALLY?!?!?”(no sarcasm intended)
    2. Never!! I would be extremely enthusiastic to do it
    3. Ravenclaw but I would prefer to be in gryffindor
    4. Chaser
    5. Stupefy the stunning defense(at least self-defense will be checked of my list of needs)
    6. Defense against the dark arts

14. GorrilaPolorBear757

AHhhhhhh!! Cool.

1. I would faint. I dream of becoming a wizard. I would also go with him.
    2. Nah. I would know I’m able to walk through it.
    3. Slytherin. “Smart. Cunning. Quick on your feet. Tad bit rebellious.”
    4. If I was a quidditch player I would be seeker and captain.
    5. I would want to learn Expecto Patronum or Stuplify
    6. My favorite class would be Defense Against the Dark Arts. Especially with Lupin,.

15. Pegasusathena1

I would think i was dreaming.
    Would you be scared to run into the magical wall at Platform 9 ¾?
    Totally!
    What house would the Sorting Hat place you in? Raveclaw most likely
    smart but a thirst to prove myself
    If you joined your house Quidditch team, what position would you like to play?
    Chaser
    What spell would you want to learn first at Hogwarts?
    Luminos(the one to turn your wand into a flashlight)
    What would be your favorite class to take?
    Potions even though i am totally not a fan of Snape

My question for others is “Would you help Hagrid with his baby dragon or not?y or y not?”
    I would because I love dragons!

16. Ellie

1. I would b like, Bye Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia and Dudley!
    2. I would go behind Fred and George.
    3. Slytherin! You like Harry Potter and in his fan club! Tommorow I’ll se you kissing!
    4. Keeper.
    5. Expelliaramus!, Wingardium Leviosa!, Lumos, and all of the other spells!
    6. Potions, Muggle Studies, and D.A.D.A.( Defense Against the Dark Arts)!

P.S. I’ll probably be Draco’s girlfriend and one of Snape’s favorites! ;)

17. amberhamster35

1. I would run into his arms and say, “I’m ready to go to Diagon Ally!!!!!”
    2. A little
    3. I would either be in Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw
    4. Keeper or Seeker
    5. Wingardiam Leviosa and Expecto Patronam
    6. History of Magic or Transfigureation

18. libraryipod6

1.nervous because i don’t know much about wizardy and i’d have to go to a new school!
    2. i’d be kind of excited because i’m always into doing something cool and new.
    3. Griffindors and “Harry Potter fan eh?”
    4. ?
    5. ?
    6.?
    Questions for the STACKS book club: How do I join? Are there mutiple clubs? Do I have to give away any personal information? Just can you please give me information about the STACKS Book Club in general? Thanks!

19. Jeremy the Beast

lets just say the griffendor put me on the quidditch team i would totally play seeker becauuse im the fastest eye hand cordnation person i know besids harry potter