The Saturday before Thanksgiving is Family Volunteer Day! It’s a good way to kick off the holiday season with giving and service. It is also a chance for families to spend time together helping their neighborhoods and communities.
Wouldn’t it be awesome to come up with your own ideas for ways your family can volunteer? We know how incredibly connected you are to things you are passionate about. And we know you guys MAKE things happen! So what would you do for Family Volunteer Day, if you were to mobilize your family?
Some ideas (with your parents’ permission, of course)
- Sell Rainbow Loom bracelets, or have a sidewalk bake sale (or hot chocolate stand if it’s wintery where you live). Donate the money to the Philippine Red Cross to help the victims of the devastating typhoon there.
- Have a “closet-cleaning day” and donate clothes and toys to a homeless shelter.
- Clean up a local park by picking up garbage, and recycling recyclables.
- Make cookies or crafts and bring your treats to a home for senior citizens.
- Collect gently used coats to donate to a shelter.
- Rake leaves for an elderly neighbor.
What are other good ideas for Family Volunteer Day? We wanna know!
Weekends are busy, but it only takes an hour or two to volunteer . . . and touch someone’s life or make a mark on our world. Let us know what YOU think in the Comments below!
—Ratha, STACKS Writer