Thank you to all the Stackers who have been submitting their chapters to the STACKS Creative Writing Team. It has been so much fun reading everyone’s submissions and receiving so much help in writing this spook-tacular Halloween story.
Happy Halloween, everyone! I hope you are having an awesome day, and are getting ready for an even more awesome night of trick-or-treating. Last week’s Halloween Trivia Quiz was filled with ghosts, goblins, and things that go bump in the night. Are you an expert on Halloween spooks? Here are the answers . . .
- Jack-o’-lanterns originated in Ireland where people put candles in which hollowed-out food? Answer: B) Turnips
- Which of the following is an alternate name for Halloween? Answer: B) All Hallow’s Eve
- What was the top-selling Halloween costume in 2011? Answer: A) Princess
- Legend says that people can become vampires by . . . Answer: A) being bitten by a vampire.
- What animal do some people believe vampires can become? Answer: C) Bat
- What is the name of the doctor’s assistant who helped create Frankenstein’s monster? Answer: B) Igor
- What city is considered the most haunted in America? Answer: B) New Orleans, Louisiana
- According to J. K. Rowling, why do witches fly on brooms? Answer: C) They are easy to hide from Muggles.
Have a safe and spooky Halloween!
R. L. Stine Web Chat!
R. L. Stine will be hosting a web chat on Wednesday October 30, 2013 from 2-3 p.m. ET.
Hope to see you at the chat!
Boo! Did I scare you? It’s almost Halloween, so this week’s trivia quiz is littered with ghosts, goblins, and things that go bump in the night. But beware! This quiz is all about the spookiest parts of Halloween!
- Jack-o’-lanterns originated in Ireland where people put candles in which hollowed-out food? A) Apples B) Turnips C) Oranges
- Which of the following is an alternate name for Halloween? A) Night of the Walking Zombies B) All Hallow’s Eve C) Snap-Apple Night
- What was the top-selling Halloween costume in 2011? A) Princess B) Spiderman C) Witch
- Legend says that people can become vampires by . . . A) being bitten by a vampire. B) practicing sorcery. C) grave digging.
- What animal do some people believe vampires can become? A) Cat B) Owl C) Bat
- What is the name of the doctor’s assistant who helped create Frankenstein’s monster? A) Frank B) Igor C) Harry
- What city is considered the most haunted in America? A) San Francisco, California B) New Orleans, Louisiana C) New York, New York
- According to J. K. Rowling, why do witches fly on brooms? A) They are easy to hide from Muggles. B) They are most comfortable to ride. C) They are the fastest to ride.
Post your answers in the Comments below and click here for the answers!
Goosebumps Tagline Trivia Challenge
How well do you know the frightful tales of Goosebumps? Did you guess all the Goosebumps titles from last week’s Goosebumps Tagline Trivia Challenge? Here are the answers. . .
1. One picture is worth a thousand screams. Say Cheese and Die
2. It’s gonna be a L-O-N-G night! A Night in Terror Tower
3. Open wide and say . . . mouthwash! Vampire Breath
4. It’s a field of screams. The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight
5. If looks could kill . . . The Haunted Mask
6. Something’s waiting in the dark . . . Stay Out of the Basement
7. No swimming. No surfing. No haunting. Ghost Beach
8. Who’s afraid of the big, bad wolf? The Werewolf of Fever Swamp
9. Enter if you dare . . . One Day at HorrorLand
10. He walks. He stalks . . . Night of the Living Dummy
Which one is YOUR favorite? Let us know in the Comments!
It is only 3 more days until Halloween, and we are in a frenzy of excitement! Moderator Katie wrote this Halloween quiz on the STACKS Buzz Board. Don’t worry. It’s not scary. It’s just to find out what Halloween is like for YOU.
- Do you celebrate Halloween? (If no, the quiz is over.)
- What are you going to be this year?
- What is your favorite Halloween candy?
- What is your earliest Halloween memory?
- What’s the funniest costume you’ve ever seen?
- What do you usually give out at your house to trick-or-treaters?
- What would you do if I said “trick” when you knocked on my door?
- What’s your favorite Halloween movie/TV show?
- Any Halloween traditions in your house?
- What does your school do for Halloween?
Leave your answers in the Comments, or go over the Buzz Board to read everyone else’s answers.
Dove Cameron is the 19-year-old actress who plays the parts of Liv and Maddie on the show called . . . Liv & Maddie, (also Kayla in Cloud 9, and Maleficent’s daughter in Disney’s Descendants)! It’s totally crazy to me how Liv and Maddie can be in the same room talking to each other but it’s really only one girl. How does she do that? We got to talk to Dove about her experiences on the show.
A big thank you to all those who contributed to our latest story! Also, a special shout out to koalabearwhite16, aquahorse581, and dolphinadorable67, who all had parts of their submissions used in today’s post. Chapter 3 will be the final installment of our spooky story, so if you’d like to contribute to the ending, make sure to post your chapter on the Night of Fright: Chapter 2 thread.
If you missed the beginning, you can go read Chapter 1! And now, here’s Chapter 2!
Last week, you read about how Austin & Ally star Laura Marano is working with UNICEF to help improve children’s lives around the world. Today, I’m going to show you how YOU can help. On Halloween, instead of just trick-or-treating for candy, you can trick-or-treat for UNICEF donations, too.
Here’s what you need to do.
- Ask your parents first.
- Make or print a UNICEF label and wrap it around a box or canister.
- Bring your UNICEF box or canister with you when you go trick-or-treating and ask for donations to UNICEF that will pay for medicine, food, and education for kids around the world.
- When Halloween is over, count up your donations, hand it over to your parents, and have them send in your donations by check or money order to:
TRICK-OR-TREAT FOR UNICEF
125 Maiden Lane
New York, NY 10038
Your contributions can make a big difference, and think how much more delicious your Halloween candy will taste when you know that your trick-or-treating helped to make another child’s life much, much better! Laura Marano will be so proud of you!
— Sonja, STACKS Staffer
Goosebumps Tagline Trivia Challenge
How well do you know the frightful tales of Goosebumps? The taglines for Goosebumps books can be just as spooky as the stories. Can you guess the Goosebumps book titles for the taglines below? HINT: All the taglines are from the Goosebumps Classic series.
- One picture is worth a thousand screams.
- It’s gonna be a L-O-N-G night!
- Open wide and say . . . mouthwash!
- It’s a field of screams.
- If looks could kill . . .
- Something’s waiting in the dark . . .
- No swimming. No surfing. No haunting.
- Who’s afraid of the big, bad wolf?
- Enter if you dare . . .
- He walks. He stalks . . .
Post your guesses in the Comments below and check your answers!