August 12, 2013

Girls’ T-shirt Controversy

Posted by at 1:29 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

writing_prompt_genericGirls’ T-shirt Controversy: What do YOU think?

While most kids are planning their all-important first-day-of-school outfits, some parents have gotten really, really mad about a particular t-shirt for girls. They got so mad that the store apologized and removed the t-shirt from its shelves! Why so much controversy about a shirt? Take a look and decide for yourself.tshirtWhat do you think of this shirt? Do you think it makes girls seem like they are not smart, or don’t care that much about school? While there is nothing wrong with shopping, music, or dancing, is it fair to generalize girls this way? All girls are different and unique, right?

Leave a Comment to let us know how you feel about this shirt, and let us know what YOUR Best Subjects T-shirt would say.

1. The truth

Well.. I think that it’s fine because if you don’t like math .you r not dumb .I love science and math etc but people wear what they wanna wear . Even if the shirt lacks an intellectual meaning corresponding to society that doesn’t mean that there has to be an outrage over a seemingly innocent shirt. It’s just a statement of your inner girl . I’m different .i skipped a grade and I don’t sing dance or shop ( I study ) .it doesn’t mean I create an outrage just because I don’t like a message . they should pay attention to shirts with curse words on it and innapropiate messages and pictures rather than a dumb shirt that any old girl could wear no problem.these peeps need to understand that this actually explains some people .what if the designer is like that …so she’s ditsy ,dumb clueless and fragile ?

2. artistictwilight19

I am great at math! I also think the shirt looks so much better if everything was checked off. Makes it look so much more perfect! (I actually dislike that shirt).

3. feathersdragon9

Well, first of all, I think this shirt makes no sense at all because I am a girl and I LOVE math, I LOVE music but I hate shopping and dance. Second of all, girls can vary their options and I think this shirt does not actually express the girl’s real feeling about their life. Third of all, shopping has nothing to do with school, whereas math does

4. TJ

I really don`t like the shirt also. It makes girls look like ignorant fools and like they`re saying boys are smarter than girls or something. It`s a stereotype, pretty much that the only thing girls are good at are shopping and dancing and music. It`s not like i have anything against music, I love music and dancing and shopping are okay, but I think every kid should be as concerned about education as well as fun stuff such as the stuff marked on the shirt. Everyone has a right to have fun, and dance and stuff, but like some of you girls said those are`nt the only things girls are good at. Girls can be good at math as well as dancing, shopping and music.

5. emma

I don’t see anything wrong with it. It was made to show what it said. Nobody’s perfect you know. I mean, that girl probably thought it was cute and how do you know if her or any girl is dumb?

6. brainwords4

I’m good at math so I’ll check math.
    Also, shopping, dancing, music, and math don’t go together.
    Kick math off the t-shirt and put something else on.

7. Maria

I don’t think their is anything wrong with the shirt. It would only be offensive if it were true that all girls were like that. I like the colors they used and it is funny, so it might be a shirt I would wear if I had it. I guess that’s just my opinion though.

~Maria

8. emily

I think that its just a fun and harmless shirt. I mean, if the girl feels comfortable in it, why make a big deal of it?

9. emeraldpanda144

Those clothes designers don’t know who they are talking about. Girls are really smart. I am a really huge bookworm and brainiac. GIRL POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. BlackBored93

Wow, this shirt says a lot. But I find it weird that they had to take it off the shelves! I mean, the shirt is weird, but some girls like shirts like that!

11. Jess

I respect that parents are not too psyched about this shirt but it’s not a big deal. This is just another pointless example of censorship in our media and society. I think that if parents don’t want their daughters to wear this then don’t pay attention to it and create such a controversy. This shirt is just another way for us girls to express our style!

12. A

This is the stereo typical image that girls everywhere produce. Manufacturers think they know us from that, but they apparently don’t. Sure, some of us are pure girly, some of them are just feminine, some are complete tomboys. And, some are in the middle, like me. We’re smart, just in our own ways. Some girls are book smart; some are street smart. Maybe if the shirt didn’t ‘yell’ out the stereo girl, and was more in favor of girl power, it would be better.

13. C

Well, our culture does seem to reinforce the idea that girls can’t do math – why would you want to reinforce such an idea? Why not focus on good, positive messages for yourself??

14. BubblyBookworm

I absolutely hate that stereotypical image of girls. I mean, women lost their lives fighting to prove that women are equal to men and this is how we repay them?! I hate the way girls are branded as fashion-mad and boy-crazy, not all girls are like that.

15. Cutie3500

I see this as just another small detail that people are overreacting about because they want something to complain about! That t shirt is perfectly fine, because there are some girls in the world who maybe aren’t so good at math or just don’t like it. Just because your daughter may be good at math and/or like it, it doesn’t mean others do! Everyone is different, and everyone has the right to show it. So, I don’t see any problem with that t shirt.

My Best Subjects T shirt would probably say Art, Books, Shopping, Writing, Dancing, and then at the end with a check missing, PE. Yes, a school subject, Now are those parents going to come after me if I made a t shirt like that? Probably, because that’s how the world is today. Jumping to conclusions over something harmless, when really they should be focusing on bigger problems than t shirts.

16. sillyparakeet5

Big deal! That shirt isn’t so bad. I might have worn it, or my sister might have worn it. I’ve seen way worse and more inappropriate shirts but do those get taken off the shelves? No. Like the tee says, nobody’s perfect. It’s just a shirt, not a political statement.

17. Daisy

It’s a dumb shirt. It makes it look like girls are ditzy and unintelligent. Hello, there are girls who are good at math! It’s also really dumb to put “shopping, music, dancing, and math” into the same category. It just seems like this society is encouraging girls to not be smart. It’s encouraging them to be a shallow girl that can’t shop, dance, and play music while ALSO doing well in math.