August 12, 2013

Girls’ T-shirt Controversy

Posted by at 1:29 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

writing_prompt_genericGirls’ T-shirt Controversy: What do YOU think?

While most kids are planning their all-important first-day-of-school outfits, some parents have gotten really, really mad about a particular t-shirt for girls. They got so mad that the store apologized and removed the t-shirt from its shelves! Why so much controversy about a shirt? Take a look and decide for yourself.tshirtWhat do you think of this shirt? Do you think it makes girls seem like they are not smart, or don’t care that much about school? While there is nothing wrong with shopping, music, or dancing, is it fair to generalize girls this way? All girls are different and unique, right?

Leave a Comment to let us know how you feel about this shirt, and let us know what YOUR Best Subjects T-shirt would say.

1. Anonamous

I dont think they meant it to come out like that, they were problably trying to say something else. But the shirt is a bad steriotype hey some great mathmeticians are girls.

2. thatonefeministkid

I see the point in most of these comments, but it’s not saying girls don’t like math. It’s saying they aren’t good at it. I HATE math, but I’m a girl and actually really good at it.

3. Emily

I think that their is really nothin wrong with this shirt I mean some people are no good at mth but are good at shopping and dancing and singing i mean i am horrible in math but i would definitey buy this shirt it bsically says nobodys perfect and anyways girls can do anythin boys can do ut we can do it in heels:)

4. silvertiger79

That T-shit looks terrible!!! No wonder why parents don’t like those T-shirts!! Why would they in the first place!? If I were those kids I will never in my whole life wearing that shirt. Ever.

5. pursuitgenius11

Shopping-Dancing-Music…all involve math in some way. Shirt would have been much better without the “math” part at all…..

6. Phoenix flame

I absolutely despise this shirt. Yes, I agree that there are more important issues plaguing society today, but must the media project this sort of sterotype on girls like us? Truly, these sort of shirts are the opposite of what I am. I am quite good at math, shopping is one of my enemies, I am not a popstar in the making, yet I still enjoy singing and dancing. I love to write, I adore astronomy, science is my favorite subject, and I am one of the smartest children in my school, and all of the other girls I know are as intelligent as me and even more! Girls should not be projected as sterotypical whom are ditzy, unintelligent, and just care about their looks. Does anyone else agree?

7. agentthor12

I don’t like it. This shirt would be offensive to the person wearing the shirt, as well as the fact that it stereo-types girls. Also, they make it seem as though you can’t like math and music and shopping all at the same time! Plus, they’re categorizing girls who like music and dancing into the same category as fashion obsessed DIVAS who spend all their free time at the mall buying clothes and jewelry they know they are NEVER GOING TO WEAR. You can sing and dance without loving to shop, and you can shop without hating math! There are millions of girls out there who could be out shopping for math books, listening to music on their iPod and dancing to the music. These girls, therefore, would not be able to buy this shirt.

Ta-da! *bows* I end my speech.

8. Sarah

I think it is okay. It’s not something I would buy, but lets face it, it defines a few girls in this world. Not all girls, though. I can’t dance, I hate shopping, and I am a math whiz. I can’t sing either, although I do enjoy listening to music.

9. bookwormgirl45

This shirt does create a stereotype about girls which is completely wrong but at the same time its just a tee. If someone is offended by it then they shouldn’t buy it and if someone really wants to buy it and is against the stereotype then I don’t think people should take the tee seriously. there are so many other t-shirts out there which don’t even make sense so why so much controversy over this one

10. The truth

Well.. I think that it’s fine because if you don’t like math .you r not dumb .I love science and math etc but people wear what they wanna wear . Even if the shirt lacks an intellectual meaning corresponding to society that doesn’t mean that there has to be an outrage over a seemingly innocent shirt. It’s just a statement of your inner girl . I’m different .i skipped a grade and I don’t sing dance or shop ( I study ) .it doesn’t mean I create an outrage just because I don’t like a message . they should pay attention to shirts with curse words on it and innapropiate messages and pictures rather than a dumb shirt that any old girl could wear no problem.these peeps need to understand that this actually explains some people .what if the designer is like that …so she’s ditsy ,dumb clueless and fragile ?

11. artistictwilight19

I am great at math! I also think the shirt looks so much better if everything was checked off. Makes it look so much more perfect! (I actually dislike that shirt).

12. feathersdragon9

Well, first of all, I think this shirt makes no sense at all because I am a girl and I LOVE math, I LOVE music but I hate shopping and dance. Second of all, girls can vary their options and I think this shirt does not actually express the girl’s real feeling about their life. Third of all, shopping has nothing to do with school, whereas math does

13. TJ

I really don`t like the shirt also. It makes girls look like ignorant fools and like they`re saying boys are smarter than girls or something. It`s a stereotype, pretty much that the only thing girls are good at are shopping and dancing and music. It`s not like i have anything against music, I love music and dancing and shopping are okay, but I think every kid should be as concerned about education as well as fun stuff such as the stuff marked on the shirt. Everyone has a right to have fun, and dance and stuff, but like some of you girls said those are`nt the only things girls are good at. Girls can be good at math as well as dancing, shopping and music.

14. emma

I don’t see anything wrong with it. It was made to show what it said. Nobody’s perfect you know. I mean, that girl probably thought it was cute and how do you know if her or any girl is dumb?

15. brainwords4

I’m good at math so I’ll check math.
    Also, shopping, dancing, music, and math don’t go together.
    Kick math off the t-shirt and put something else on.

16. Maria

I don’t think their is anything wrong with the shirt. It would only be offensive if it were true that all girls were like that. I like the colors they used and it is funny, so it might be a shirt I would wear if I had it. I guess that’s just my opinion though.

~Maria

17. emily

I think that its just a fun and harmless shirt. I mean, if the girl feels comfortable in it, why make a big deal of it?

18. emeraldpanda144

Those clothes designers don’t know who they are talking about. Girls are really smart. I am a really huge bookworm and brainiac. GIRL POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. BlackBored93

Wow, this shirt says a lot. But I find it weird that they had to take it off the shelves! I mean, the shirt is weird, but some girls like shirts like that!

20. Jess

I respect that parents are not too psyched about this shirt but it’s not a big deal. This is just another pointless example of censorship in our media and society. I think that if parents don’t want their daughters to wear this then don’t pay attention to it and create such a controversy. This shirt is just another way for us girls to express our style!

21. A

This is the stereo typical image that girls everywhere produce. Manufacturers think they know us from that, but they apparently don’t. Sure, some of us are pure girly, some of them are just feminine, some are complete tomboys. And, some are in the middle, like me. We’re smart, just in our own ways. Some girls are book smart; some are street smart. Maybe if the shirt didn’t ‘yell’ out the stereo girl, and was more in favor of girl power, it would be better.

22. C

Well, our culture does seem to reinforce the idea that girls can’t do math – why would you want to reinforce such an idea? Why not focus on good, positive messages for yourself??

23. BubblyBookworm

I absolutely hate that stereotypical image of girls. I mean, women lost their lives fighting to prove that women are equal to men and this is how we repay them?! I hate the way girls are branded as fashion-mad and boy-crazy, not all girls are like that.

24. Cutie3500

I see this as just another small detail that people are overreacting about because they want something to complain about! That t shirt is perfectly fine, because there are some girls in the world who maybe aren’t so good at math or just don’t like it. Just because your daughter may be good at math and/or like it, it doesn’t mean others do! Everyone is different, and everyone has the right to show it. So, I don’t see any problem with that t shirt.

My Best Subjects T shirt would probably say Art, Books, Shopping, Writing, Dancing, and then at the end with a check missing, PE. Yes, a school subject, Now are those parents going to come after me if I made a t shirt like that? Probably, because that’s how the world is today. Jumping to conclusions over something harmless, when really they should be focusing on bigger problems than t shirts.

25. sillyparakeet5

Big deal! That shirt isn’t so bad. I might have worn it, or my sister might have worn it. I’ve seen way worse and more inappropriate shirts but do those get taken off the shelves? No. Like the tee says, nobody’s perfect. It’s just a shirt, not a political statement.

26. Daisy

It’s a dumb shirt. It makes it look like girls are ditzy and unintelligent. Hello, there are girls who are good at math! It’s also really dumb to put “shopping, music, dancing, and math” into the same category. It just seems like this society is encouraging girls to not be smart. It’s encouraging them to be a shallow girl that can’t shop, dance, and play music while ALSO doing well in math.

27. dragonfeathers35

Well, there’s a bit of both in the shirt. Sure, it makes girls seem dim and dumb, but they aren’t. Like someone else says, it screams fun out!!!

28. thunderstormwarthog7

i really dont see anything wrong with the shirt….. its just a shirt, i dont think the store meant for it to be like that…

29. Icecreamsmart7

Since I’m a girl,I do think that the T-shirt makes girls think they are not smart enough. It is not fair to generalize girls this way. My T-shirt would say: My Best Subjects Shopping, Having Fun,Writing And Most Of All:READING. Girls are smart anyway.

30. Indigoangel52

I think it describes specific people and while some girls are more interested in shopping or dance, which isn’t anything to be ashamed of, other girls are more interested in mathematics meaning they would not buy or wear that t shirt. Although I say this, I do understand why some people were offended because they thought that a stereotype of girls was incorporated into designing this t shirt, but I’m sure the designers were only trying to make someone smile and look nice.

31. purplechihuahua430

i personally think that a shirt like that could be stylish to some people but maybe not as much to others.

32. Izelle

Personally, I think that shirt is demeaning! I mean everyone has a right to an opinion and for some people it’s there style but I think math should be checked off because plenty of girls are good at math!

33. funny3

Wellllll then !!!!
    I mean i do like music dancing and math .Shopping not so much. :D
    But there is more to girls than this. EVERYONE is DIffereNT.

34. indigowizard3

I think that it is not good to put all girls under a stereotype and make them look shallow and obsessed with how they look. Also, to make matters worse, they made it seem that those are the ONLY things we’re good at. Just because some girls like shopping doesn’t mean that they’re stupid. I think that this T-shirt could have sold if they hadn’t put the Math checkbox.

35. bluearms268

they dont care about school just want to be popular and they aernt very smart for that bad disishen that they are making

36. Magentadolphin21

I could see how that shirt could be seen as offensive, but I’ve seen kids in T-shirts mich worse than that at school. It definitely stereotypes the wearer as someone who isn’t very concerned with education, but like you said, there’s nothing wrong with music and dancing. I know what store it’s from , and I wish they (and other stores) would branch out a bit with their merchandise to appeal to different interests. I wish the media would stop teaching kids that being smart isn’t “cool” – girls are stereotyped as interested only in clothes and boys, and boys supposedly only like sports and cars. In other words, it isn’t the shirt that’s a problem so much as the media’s attitude towards learning as a whole.

37. stonefairy

I think this shirt is mildly offensive. It’s not really bad, but it kind of makes a general statement about girls that the things that mostly dominate their minds are shopping, music, and dancing and that they’re not great at math. I wouldn’t wear this shirt because even though there’s nothing wrong with shopping, music, and dancing and I enjoy those things, this shirt makes it look like those are the main things the wearer does and she doesn’t do great in stuff like math, which then makes her look shallow.

1. purplechihuahua430

what do you mean thanks???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????