August 12, 2013

Girls’ T-shirt Controversy

Posted by at 1:29 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

writing_prompt_genericGirls’ T-shirt Controversy: What do YOU think?

While most kids are planning their all-important first-day-of-school outfits, some parents have gotten really, really mad about a particular t-shirt for girls. They got so mad that the store apologized and removed the t-shirt from its shelves! Why so much controversy about a shirt? Take a look and decide for yourself.tshirtWhat do you think of this shirt? Do you think it makes girls seem like they are not smart, or don’t care that much about school? While there is nothing wrong with shopping, music, or dancing, is it fair to generalize girls this way? All girls are different and unique, right?

Leave a Comment to let us know how you feel about this shirt, and let us know what YOUR Best Subjects T-shirt would say.

1. dragonfeathers35

Well, there’s a bit of both in the shirt. Sure, it makes girls seem dim and dumb, but they aren’t. Like someone else says, it screams fun out!!!

2. thunderstormwarthog7

i really dont see anything wrong with the shirt….. its just a shirt, i dont think the store meant for it to be like that…

3. Icecreamsmart7

Since I’m a girl,I do think that the T-shirt makes girls think they are not smart enough. It is not fair to generalize girls this way. My T-shirt would say: My Best Subjects Shopping, Having Fun,Writing And Most Of All:READING. Girls are smart anyway.

4. Indigoangel52

I think it describes specific people and while some girls are more interested in shopping or dance, which isn’t anything to be ashamed of, other girls are more interested in mathematics meaning they would not buy or wear that t shirt. Although I say this, I do understand why some people were offended because they thought that a stereotype of girls was incorporated into designing this t shirt, but I’m sure the designers were only trying to make someone smile and look nice.

5. purplechihuahua430

i personally think that a shirt like that could be stylish to some people but maybe not as much to others.

6. Izelle

Personally, I think that shirt is demeaning! I mean everyone has a right to an opinion and for some people it’s there style but I think math should be checked off because plenty of girls are good at math!

7. funny3

Wellllll then !!!!
    I mean i do like music dancing and math .Shopping not so much. :D
    But there is more to girls than this. EVERYONE is DIffereNT.

8. indigowizard3

I think that it is not good to put all girls under a stereotype and make them look shallow and obsessed with how they look. Also, to make matters worse, they made it seem that those are the ONLY things we’re good at. Just because some girls like shopping doesn’t mean that they’re stupid. I think that this T-shirt could have sold if they hadn’t put the Math checkbox.

9. bluearms268

they dont care about school just want to be popular and they aernt very smart for that bad disishen that they are making

10. Magentadolphin21

I could see how that shirt could be seen as offensive, but I’ve seen kids in T-shirts mich worse than that at school. It definitely stereotypes the wearer as someone who isn’t very concerned with education, but like you said, there’s nothing wrong with music and dancing. I know what store it’s from , and I wish they (and other stores) would branch out a bit with their merchandise to appeal to different interests. I wish the media would stop teaching kids that being smart isn’t “cool” – girls are stereotyped as interested only in clothes and boys, and boys supposedly only like sports and cars. In other words, it isn’t the shirt that’s a problem so much as the media’s attitude towards learning as a whole.

11. stonefairy

I think this shirt is mildly offensive. It’s not really bad, but it kind of makes a general statement about girls that the things that mostly dominate their minds are shopping, music, and dancing and that they’re not great at math. I wouldn’t wear this shirt because even though there’s nothing wrong with shopping, music, and dancing and I enjoy those things, this shirt makes it look like those are the main things the wearer does and she doesn’t do great in stuff like math, which then makes her look shallow.

1. purplechihuahua430

what do you mean thanks???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????