August 30, 2013

Dear Dumb Diary Movie!

Emily Alyn Lind in Dear Dumb DiaryDear Dumb Diary Movie!

You love the books. You’ve been anxiously waiting for September 6th so you can watch the movie. But more than anything, you’ve been wondering who on Earth could bring the awesomely awesome Jamie Kelly to life? Our sentiments exactly! So we sat down recently for a very special interview with Emily Alyn Lind, 11-year-old star of Dear Dumb Diary. Key takeaways? Movie stars like to read the books their movies are based on, too! Meet Emily Alyn Lind, star of Dear Dumb Diary, a Hallmark Channel Original Movie based on the Dear Dumb Diary book series!

Scholastic: What’s it like to bring a popular book character to life?
Emily
: I loved reading Jim Benton’s books, knowing that I would be portraying [Jamie]. It was almost like doing a movie based on a real story. The character already existed and it was my job to become Jamie Kelly. I really fell in love with Jamie in the books, so I couldn’t wait to play her.

Scholastic: Are you a lot like Jamie Kelly?
Emily:
I didn’t think I was much like Jamie until I got to set and started to become her. I can relate to her being a little different than the other kids in school, wanting to fit in, but at the same time wanting even more badly to be herself. I think that’s what a lot of Jr. High kids go through. I think a lot of girls will relate to Jamie, whether they are the popular kids, or the not-so-popular. She’s just trying to figure out who she is.

Scholastic: Do you keep a diary of your own?
Emily:
I’ve always kept a journal from the time I could write. I love to write ANYTHING, but especially my feelings. It really helps to get your emotions onto a page, then read them back. You learn so much about yourself. Also, when you read about a time that was difficult from a couple years before, sometimes you realize that it really wasn’t that bad, that you got through it! I’m not as crazy as Jamie about hiding my journals or putting padlocks on them. I pretty much tell my family everything anyway, so it’s not a big deal if they want to sit down and read about my life!

Scholastic: What do you think are Jamie’s mom’s worst food-crimes?
Emily:
I love when Jamie walks into the kitchen and sees something still moving in a boiling pot of water. What I like about Jamie’s mom’s character is that she tries so hard to make her family happy. She’s a really good mom, just not a great cook! It’s OK; my family is usually so busy that we get take-out sushi almost every night. As long as we’re all eating as a family, it doesn’t matter what it is we’re eating!

Scholastic: Do you have any pets? Are they like Stinker at all?
Emily:
I love when I’m asked about pets because it’s my favorite subject! My dog’s name is Georgie. She’s a 5 lb. blonde Maltipoo, and she is my life! I have so much fun when my characters own pets because it makes me think of Georgie. Georgie isn’t as stinky as Stinker, but she hangs out in my room a lot and I talk to her the same way. Next to my sisters, she’s really my best friend. Because Jamie is an only child, I think Stinker IS her best friend.

Scholastic: Who is the Isabella in your life?
Emily:
It might sound kind of corny, but I’m really close to my sisters, Natalie and Aly. I tell them everything and we’re so different and alike at the same time . . . just like Isabella. We can disagree about things, but then the next day we’re laughing and best friends again. It’s so important to have a best friend, someone you can share everything with. In Isabella’s case, she may not always do the right thing, but in the end, we have each other’s backs.

Scholastic: When you’re not on set or in school, what are your favorite hobbies?
Emily:
I love to sing, write music, play guitar, make music videos, anything music related! We also produce our own movies at home. We take turns writing, directing, and starring in them. We just made a horror/comedy that was actually pretty good!
Every week, we have family movie night where we rent an old movie. My mom wants us to know all of the classics. One of my faves is Airplane (rated PG), which was directed by our Executive Producer Jerry Zucker. It’s probably the funniest movie ever made!

Scholastic: What are you reading right now?
Emily:
I’m actually finishing up the Dear Dumb Diary book series right now! I was given all the books but only got through the first half during production. I love seeing where Jamie is heading. She’s such a funny and unpredictable character. I feel so lucky to be playing her. I can’t wait to see what she’s up to next!

Dear Dumb Diary airs on the Hallmark Channel Friday, September 6th at 8 p.m. Watch the trailer now!

1. stephanie

the movie awesome especially Hudson he’s so cute. trust me it’s an awesome movie you gotta watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Sarah and Kathryn (her mom)

We just did the dear dumb diary game, and we’re SURE we got the right answer after trying many possibilities very carefully. But it said we didn’t get the right answer. :-( We’re a little frustrated but we still feel good that we solved the puzzle, even though it didn’t get us into the diary.

1. donutruby44

I never read any series my friends love it but I just never have time! please help me!

2. slyquiet17

It’s okay i am sure you will find a way to get through it so i would start with a short series:):):) that what i did now i read at a 8th grade level and i am going into the 6th grade

3. Kindness21

I love Jamie Kelly books.I have a dog named Ace and he is a lot like Stinker.Ace is very,very lazy.I wish there were more Jamie Kelly books to read.I read both years and they aren’t enough!!! ;- )

4. awsome dear dumb diaries

angeline I think is a little jealous of Jamies poems from mike p keep reading cause it is awesome dear dumb diarys

5. kristen

dumb diary is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry funny includeing Jamie LOL i will maby even write my own diary .I love scholastic.AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

6. kristen

harry potter needs to have more games because it is the greatest book ever to have been created. GO J.K.ROWLING ,Scholastic ROCKS so much.

7. racingchocolate17

dumb dairy is dumb and too hard but the 1 level is easy but this stinks i don’t every want to play this dumb dairy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. RandomLizardGirl

I mean Kelly (gosh, I hate typing and I hate my memorie for forgetting the name of the main person in the books)

9. RandomLizardGirl

I love this book series, it fun, unpredictable and realistic! Thank you Jamie Fox (lol) Fo wiing your diary!

10. Charlotte

I can’t believe I’m ACTUALLY righting to you! Your eleven, right? Anyway I’m you’re biggest FAN! You R SOOOOO good at acting and when I get an acting career I wanna be JUST like you! Any advice for your biggest fan?

1. grace

I lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv dumb diary!!!!!

11. leslie

I had read all your book and i can not stop reading them they are very good i love them so much, so how did you be come writing your book and moives??????

12. jaci

I love Jim´s books I read them all I wish she did more books and even a new series to I think that would be awesome!!!!!!!

13. calmvolleyball12

so i really just got onto or as my granny says logged into this scholastic thing and i just love the dear dumb diary books .they inspired me to write a little more in my diary but the girl who read her diary she act like a girl i know.

14. kittenlight30

I would love to see the movie but, did it come out yet because sometimes there tose old movies that you want to see but they are not in the movie theater.

15. faith

wow i thank that that is a good moives and books i like the songs and i thank that the dancing tuck alot of work becuse its rilly good
    i would pass out if i done that becuse i cant do that and i rilly thank that the songs were very
    good i love the song my asomeniss is awsome its so cooland that movie was the best movie i have ever seen in my hole intier life
    so that was pritty good of a movie onley good but that is the best its not onley good its the best
    and the books are so good i just started it and i an all reddy done and i thank that all the singgen is rilley good and the praling is all just like me and jammie is just like me thats what i like about her and alot of ather thangs i like all about her i like art and i will fate if art goes off just like she did and one timee i called my diary dumb to after i wached it was so good and what i like about it is it is rasing money for people and so thats what i like about its

16. o

nice dumb diary is easy for me but i bet u dont known why because there is a reason that i am not teling you now read and find out

17. Kendra

ok, so there’s dear dumb diary, diary of a wimpy kid diary, judy moody diary, but what about DORK DIARIES?!?!?!

1. seekeratist10

There actually is a Dork Diaries 3 1/2. You get to make your own diary there.

18. jamie456kelly

i love the dear dumb diary movie it,s my fav movie i have all the dear dumb book and yer 2 my fav charaters r siker jamie kelly angle and hudson and the lunch lady that jamie thinks that cluid be a singer in nihat club,s i can sing the dear dumb diary song yaaaaaaaaaaaa ya y a a ay a the sock puputtets with yane hair they go yuaa yuaa yduaa yudaa ya ya ya ya ya ya yaaa yadiaa ya ther funny and hat part when jame eaut the ouneg cheesee and spit it out then eaut it and that part at the end when jamie was dessd like a hipppe and and ate thet chesse and then spit i tesie it out that was funny haaaa

19. ELINA

DEAR DUMB DIARY is very true even though it makes everyone laugh the whole thing is true isn’t’ it ?there always is a bully ,an enemy and also the family things .it mentions everything when ever i read it i feel like its write there in front of me. i feel like she girl is my close friend

20. agentthor12

There’s a Dear Dumb Diary MOVIE!?! OMG! I am like, SO watching that! YAY! (Sorry if you’re all like mad or something that I hadn’t heard about it ’til now, *shrugs* Sorry!)