May 21, 2013

Leaning Tower of Pisa Fun Facts

Posted by at 2:51 am in Trivia | Permalink

Ssc130Leaning Tower of Pisa Fun Facts

The Scholastic Summer Challenge continues. Have you logged your minutes for this week yet? You could have a chance to win prizes!

Every Tuesday, we give give you some Trivia on the STACKS. Did you know these true facts about this tilty tower in the city of Pisa, Italy?
Leaning Tower of Pisa

• The tower was completed in about 1350. During construction, the ground under the building settled unevenly and caused the building to lean toward the south. Oops!
  • There are other towers in Pisa with the same tilting problem, but not as noticeable.
  • Throughout its history, the tilt of the tower has gradually gotten worse, about 0.25 inch (0.1 cm) every year.
  • It was closed to the public in January 1990, because the structure was dangerously close to collapse.
  • For much of the 1990s the tower was wrapped in steel and anchored by steel suspenders holding it in place. Soil was carefully removed under the tower to even the land underneath.
  • In June 2001, engineers announced that the Leaning Tower was “secure,” and although the lean is still apparent, it is 17 inches (44 cm) less than it has been for 150 years.

Do you trust that the tower is now secure? Would you dare to climb up to the top? Let us know in the Comments!

“Leaning Tower of Pisa.” Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia. Grolier Online, 2013. Web. 1 May. 2013.

1. mothpeacemaker4

The sixth fact quotes “secure”. I hope they don’t mean for tourists to go to the Leaning Tower of Pisa only to be injued when they want to climb the tower. That would stink…

2. sapphirebutterfly118

I will NEVER EVER climb that tower because first of all, I never climbed anything besides rock walls and trees. Second of all, I don’t trust the people and just looking at the tower kinda scares me already!!! O-O

3. joyfulbreeze26

the leaning tower of PISA is spelled PISA not PIZA TYPE IT UP IT WILL PROBRABRLY be spelled PISA IM not tryin’ to be mean but that is how you would spell it

4. giddyseeker8

Isssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss OoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbboooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy on!

5. Aliyah

AND ALSO I AGREE WITH ‘THE O IN THE YOLO’ WHO SAID THAT THE LEANING TOWER OF PISA IS LEANING B/C OF A FOUNDATION ERROR.

6. joyfulbreeze26

i did not know all of this stuff before but i read 10 times yesterday and Sunday so i got 100 min.all together i got 200 min.took the challenge picked hard the question was about the leaning tower of Pisa and it said what was the main idea and i picked that one and got it right and won a watermelon.

7. volleyballsports10

I licked your article on the leaning tower of pisa!!!!!
    BTW I would most likely climb to the top of the tower.Why because I trust the people who said it was secure.

8. Adventurepegasus10

I don’t think it’s secure.
    I would NEVER try to climb it!!!
    There is a chance that it could collapse from the weight of all the people!!!!!!!!!