May 21, 2013

Leaning Tower of Pisa Fun Facts

Posted by at 2:51 am in Trivia | Permalink

Ssc130Leaning Tower of Pisa Fun Facts

The Scholastic Summer Challenge continues. Have you logged your minutes for this week yet? You could have a chance to win prizes!

Every Tuesday, we give give you some Trivia on the STACKS. Did you know these true facts about this tilty tower in the city of Pisa, Italy?
Leaning Tower of Pisa

• The tower was completed in about 1350. During construction, the ground under the building settled unevenly and caused the building to lean toward the south. Oops!
  • There are other towers in Pisa with the same tilting problem, but not as noticeable.
  • Throughout its history, the tilt of the tower has gradually gotten worse, about 0.25 inch (0.1 cm) every year.
  • It was closed to the public in January 1990, because the structure was dangerously close to collapse.
  • For much of the 1990s the tower was wrapped in steel and anchored by steel suspenders holding it in place. Soil was carefully removed under the tower to even the land underneath.
  • In June 2001, engineers announced that the Leaning Tower was “secure,” and although the lean is still apparent, it is 17 inches (44 cm) less than it has been for 150 years.

Do you trust that the tower is now secure? Would you dare to climb up to the top? Let us know in the Comments!

“Leaning Tower of Pisa.” Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia. Grolier Online, 2013. Web. 1 May. 2013.

1. barsuecity

I went up the tower in1960. Going up the leaning circular staircase was very strange.
    It wasnt too bad at the top but to come down there was only one small door to go through.
    I missed it and went onto the leaning bit and nearly fell off. It wasn’t fenced off and it was quite dangerous. Looks like it is now.

2. jeanie

i loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhhhhhhahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

3. meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

1. meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiihihihihhihihiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiyyyyyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiiiiyiyiyiyi

4. madpowerful7

I guess I would go in it. I guess it varies for different people. It’s sort of like a battle between what it looks like, and the fact it hasn’t fallen yet. Since I have not been in it I guess it easy to say I would do it, but if I stood in front of it I probably wouldn’t

5. Lian

I love scholastic and if I had to write a story I will give it to scholastic because they made me so happy I have to say, ” Thank You Scholastic.”

6. Fuschiaaphrodite27

Uh…. no. I am REALLY scared of heights and probably would be scared even if it was upright. The fact that its leaning is even worse. But I would like to take pictures of it from the ground!

7. ablekoi12

Yes, I would probably go into the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I’m always looking to go somewhere where I’ve never been before. Plus, they probably only allow a few people at a time in the tower since it’s so close to collapsing.

8. m

Also they tried to dig up the other side of the foundation of the tower to make the tower fall into place and not be on a lean.
    I would TOTALLY climb the tower to see if you can fell it leaning , now it is secure and it would not fall oif they wrap cables arould it ( kind of like bracing the tower) to make it straight. So these are my reasons on why i would climb the leaning tower of Pisa :)

9. ella

this is a great picture for people to see and learn about!!!!!cool fact it was built on soft soil thats why it is called the leaning tower of pisa.that is in Italy by the why!!!! P.S.I love this website

10. cheerfulpurple170

I WOULD NEVER CLIMB THAT THING!
    IT’S GOING TO FALL RIGHT DOWN!
    (just to be clear, it’s not secure) Trust me

11. mothpeacemaker4

The sixth fact quotes “secure”. I hope they don’t mean for tourists to go to the Leaning Tower of Pisa only to be injued when they want to climb the tower. That would stink…

12. sapphirebutterfly118

I will NEVER EVER climb that tower because first of all, I never climbed anything besides rock walls and trees. Second of all, I don’t trust the people and just looking at the tower kinda scares me already!!! O-O

13. joyfulbreeze26

the leaning tower of PISA is spelled PISA not PIZA TYPE IT UP IT WILL PROBRABRLY be spelled PISA IM not tryin’ to be mean but that is how you would spell it

14. giddyseeker8

Isssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss OoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbboooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddddddddddddddddddddddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy on!

15. Aliyah

AND ALSO I AGREE WITH ‘THE O IN THE YOLO’ WHO SAID THAT THE LEANING TOWER OF PISA IS LEANING B/C OF A FOUNDATION ERROR.

16. joyfulbreeze26

i did not know all of this stuff before but i read 10 times yesterday and Sunday so i got 100 min.all together i got 200 min.took the challenge picked hard the question was about the leaning tower of Pisa and it said what was the main idea and i picked that one and got it right and won a watermelon.

17. volleyballsports10

I licked your article on the leaning tower of pisa!!!!!
    BTW I would most likely climb to the top of the tower.Why because I trust the people who said it was secure.

18. Adventurepegasus10

I don’t think it’s secure.
    I would NEVER try to climb it!!!
    There is a chance that it could collapse from the weight of all the people!!!!!!!!!