February 4, 2013

Writing Prompt: A Room Without Books

Posted by at 1:26 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

Writing_prompt_bookWriting Prompt: A room without books is like . . .

CiceroDo you know this guy?

Meet the ancient philosopher and political statesman, named Marcus Tullius Cicero, Cicero for short. He lived in the 1st Century B.C.E., yet he was not so different from you or me. He had a great quote that people who love books . . . well . . . love! He said:

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”

So true, right? But if you were going to update this quote for the 21st century, what would you say? Complete this sentence in the Comments with YOUR deep thoughts:

Roomwithoutbooks

–Ratha, STACKS Writer

1. fredericka

this book is borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

2. ARTEMISMYSTERY11

A room without books is like the earth without people, its like the sea without its roar, a room without books must be a bore.

3. kiwicupcake14

A room without books is like a bird with no feathers. Thread with no needle. A pen with no ink. A clarinet with no reed. Awful, empty!

4. Bhavya

A room without books is like a teenage girl without drama.
    A room without books is like a baby without a pacifier.
    A room without books is like Christmas without presents.
    A room without books is like a heart without love….

5. Lexie

A room without books is like a world without a leader.
    A room without books is like a class without a teacher
    A room without books is like a person without a life.
    A room without books is like a person without education.

6. Athenahera55

A room without books is like having no food for the rest of your life time. It i sad and lonely. With books make me very happy and successful.

7. korkie

a room without books is like a… butterfly without wings, a human without a brain, a house without a roof, a pencil without a eraser, and love without a heart.

8. anoushka

A room without books is an ipod without Taylor Swift, One Direction, and Carly Rae Jepson.(LOVE ‘EM!!!!!)

1. s

your so right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s one direction is cute(that includes lyan niall and harry)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

9. readinglate9

A room without books is like an Earth without Oxygen. Without knowledge, then what are we? We’d be persons never meant to exist……

10. Happypuppy116

This guy is funny i mean me and my cousin love him he crack my cousin up i don’t know why but the things without is ice without cream because its ice cream you get see i crack myself up too hahaha…. if anybody want to know me just say hi or sup or whatever so i hope you people read it… Oh yeah if any of you guys have fun at the STACKS games i like please play them…….

11. bubblegumgirl656

i say learn to say nice things not mean things so this is what i say fi you dont have nonthing nice to say dont say nothing so that is my point of view

12. Merryelf4

rainbowfearless8, im also new here.
    a room without books is like:peanut butter without jelly,french fries without salt, and a biscuit without honey!:P

13. rainbowfearless8

Hello this is my first time on here and first time making a blog comment. I love to read. I’m so happy I found this web site for kids like me. There are so many books on here I can’t wait to read.

14. brainyathena30 :D

me without the stacks D:
    a cat without fur
    a room without books
    or wait there is a cat without fur
    THERE WILL NEVER BE A ROOM WITHOUT BOOKS D:

15. Marsha

I’m going to use this prompt for my fifth grade creative writing class. We’ll be making posters of our completed promps and putting them up around the library!

16. Mackenzie

A room without books is like something you like can’t read in it just wouldn’t be the same because some people love books and love to read.