February 13, 2013

New Harry Potter Covers?!!

Posted by at 5:07 pm in Harry Potter, Reads, Sneak Peek | Permalink

SneakPeekNew Harry Potter Covers

UPDATE: The 15th Anniversary is here! See the new covers for Book #2, Books #3-5, Book #6, and Book #7!

To celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, Scholastic has unveiled the first of 7 all-new book covers illustrated by Amulet artist Kazu Kibuishi.

Kibuishi is a longtime Harry Potter fan who called this opportunity, “more than a little surreal. The Harry Potter covers by Mary GrandPré are so fantastic and iconic,” he says. “When I was asked to submit samples, I initially hesitated because I didn’t want to see them reinterpreted! . . . As an author myself, I tried to answer the question, ‘If I were the author of the books – and they were like my own children – how would I want them to be seen years from now?’”

Well, here is the answer to that question for Book #1: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.

HP1covers

All 7 new covers will appear on U.S. paperback editions coming in September 2013 and will depict a “distinctive and memorable moment” from each book. This one obviously depicts Harry Potter’s first visit to Diagon Alley with Hagrid.

We are curious to hear what you think should appear on the covers of Books #2-7. Leave your most distinctive and memorable moments from each book in the Comments. And tell us what you think of the new cover for Book #1! Personally, after my first reaction (which was a loud gasp!) I can now say that I LOVE it!!

Cover art by Mary GrandPré c 1998, and Kazu Kibuishi c 2013

1. Rachel

I like this idea of having new book covers …Can’t fathome thats it’s been 15teen years since my first trip to Hogwarts!

2. IcePhoenix36

I love Harry Potter, so I think I am sticking with the original cover. The new ones are pretty though, just a bit cartoonish for me.

3. IcePhoenix35

Indigosprite11 and Lokiangel6- I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan (you could say I’m obsessed) and I think J. K. Rowling is just wonderful. When I started the series, I didn’t want anybody to tell me what happened. The ideas for the covers are great, but for somebody just starting book five, they wouldn’t want to know that happened. Same with six. The covers would give away something terrible and very intense scenes. I love the thrill of something like that happening (don’t get me wrong- Sirius is one of my favorite character), but if the cover was Sirius and the veil, I would be thinking throughout the whole book “When will it happen…when will it happen….”. This is just my personal opinion. On to the covers- I love the old ones…so calm…. the new ones are good, but a bit cartoonish. I love the sketchy look of the original covers. But it is veery sweet to make new covers for the anniversary.

1. WitchPoseidon5

I agree, the original covers are better. Not that I don’t like the new one, but the others are nicer.

4. cowshell11

I like the first one better because she made up what harry looked like but the new one looks more like Radcliffe

5. Jade Bold 23

Book four should depict Harry in the graveyard when he’s hanging on the statue or when he and Voldemort’s spells collide, and the people Voldemort killed, come out of his wand in spirit form.

6. Jade Bold 23

Book seven should have Harry and Voldemort’s last duel when Voldemort’s killing spell rebounds; obviously.

7. aileen

i find it very fun looking but the old one is better i think they should publish books with that cover but also keep the old one i am a HUGE HARRY POTTER FAN ive read all the books and seen all the movies and there FAB

8. angelbutterfly172

I like both of the covers but the new cover makes it look like a first grader could read it. and it’s not!

9. brainhiking5 : Awarded Bookworm Award

I have read the WHOLE series of Harry Potter!I’m really picky about new stuff for my favorite books, but I would have to say that Kazu Kibuishi did a fantastic job!!!! If we did a vote, I would definitely pick the new cover. And I agree with brainyathena30 :D , quote “in the second it should be Hermione as a cat ;) ”. :D
    Loving Bookworm,